Re: [plagpk] Prof. Dr. Abdul Moid Memorial Library

  • ikram ulhaq
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 10:03 PM

      Aasalam o Aliukum

      It is memorable occasion that Dr Ghaniul Akram Sabzwari (President Library Promotion Bureau and Chief Editor of PLISJ), on behalf of Dr Abdul Moid’s family donated 81 books and computer to Department of Library and Information Science, Islamia University Bahawalpur, for establishing “Prof Dr Abdul Moid Memorial Library” on World Book Day (22-23 April 2013).

      Dr Sabzwari Sahib is nearly 80 years old (rather young), attractive, smart, devoted and energetic fellow.  He has been busy in writing/publishing for more than a half century. He motivated numbers of professional, to write, and made him mature writer.

      Recently, I met Dr Sahib on 8th of April 2013, in Islamabad (Hizatullah Vaseer’s Home). Dr Sahib and Hizatullah Sahib worked and stayed together in Mikkah, KSA. Hizatullah sahib wrote three Urdu books, and forth will appear soon; it is only possible due to Dr Sahib encouragement and friendship.

      Dr Sahib welcomed and encouraged me to write more and more on LIS of Pakistan.

      He gave me his three books, Classification Vol-I, 2006, Classification Vol-II, 2007 and Library and Information Science for Students of M.A. Classes. He also gifted me a pen with torch.

      He said that articles of PLISJ reflect the quality of LIS education in Pakistan. He appreciated the efforts of Dr Rubina Bhatti’s and her team to active support of PLISJ.

      He recalled his doctorate through distance learning, from Century University, USA. The University was located in California in that time, now shifted to New Mexico City.

      During his visit to Pakistan last year (2012), he stayed in Islamabad on mid of May, he called me and told to reach Dr Raziuddin Siddiqui Memorial Library (DRSML), Qauid-e-Azam University at 1000 am, library was inaugurated after renovation. Mr Pervaiz Irfan, Chief Librarian DRSML QAU, and his colleagues paid warmth welcome to Dr Sahib. Dr Sahib presented fresh issue of PLISJ and requested to subscribe this journal for library. Then we traveled towards National Library of Pakistan, where we met Syed Ghayur Hussain, Director NLP. He arranged a Special Lecture of Dr Sahib in NLP. Dr Sahib presented, Qamar Mirza’s book and Adab-o-Kutab Khana to Syed Ghayur Hussain.

      At evening of the same day, I met Dr Sahib in Hizat ullah’s home. He recalled some of the sweet memories of the past. He remembered his Classification teacher, Molvi Muhammad Shafi, who used to say that after me, Sabzwari would teach Classification in KU. He recollected the Dr Abdul Moid’s effort towards promotion of Library Education in Pakistan. Dr Sabzwari told me, “Dr Moid convinced Asia Foundation to grant 30 scholarships for working librarian (outside Karachi) in different provinces of Pakistan (Ten librarians each year) for DLS and MLS programmes. Dr Sabzwari Sahib gifted me his autobiography.

      May Allah Shower His Special Blessing on Dr Sahib, his family and his friends!

      **************************************
      Ikram Ul Haq
      Master in Library & Information Sciences,(AIOU)
      MA Eng (Pb), MA Urdu (Pb)
      Librarian
      Rawalpindi Institute of Cardiology
      Tel: 0092 333 525 5297

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2013
        Dear Ikram-ul- Haq Sb.

        Nice note to read from you. My concern is that Allah SWT sees teachers at high seats of learning.
        I have been Doc Moid's last batch student in 82. He taught us planning. He was hired as cooperative teacher with meagre  honorarium of Rs 400/pm. If the authorities at that time wanted they could honor him as Honorary Professor. Was it not his disgrace, but he did not care these secondary things. He was devoted to teachings. He was deep ocean of knowledge.
        But what happened with him. Out of sight out of mind. He was a fair person & did not recruit army of his family in libraries. His daughter failed in D.L.Sc but he didn't interfere to help her out.
        The only point I wanted to say that at first instance his family approach the dept. to accommodate his precious collection in the  library which is named after him. Alas refusal came in with the plea that this all is rubbish. Come on people. If not today tomorrow is yours turn to go home. Respect the elders. I salute IUB's team for honoring my favorite teacher's collection. Do and have a respect. If Dr. Rubina  is respecting Dr Moid she is & will be respected by tomorrow.

        Nothing is rubbish. We librarians well know it.

        Sorry for being sentimental but that's the way I express my feelings.

        Hamid Rahman