Fwd: [plagpk] 2013 ASIS&T SIG-III International Paper Contest for Developing Countries
- Excuse me for cross-posting!
The Special Interest Group on International Information Issues (SIG-III) of the American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T) is pleased to announce its 13th competition for papers to be submitted for the 2013 Annual Meeting, which will take place in Centre Sheraton, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, November 1-6, 2013. (http://asist.org/asist2013/AM2013CFP.pdf)
Building from the overall conference theme, the theme for this year’s paper contest is: “Beyond the Cloud: Rethinking Information Boundaries”. Papers could discuss issues, policies and case studies on specific aspects of the theme from a global and/orinternational perspective. Topics include, but are not limited to, the following core areas:
1. Human Information Interaction: Information Retrieval; Information Behavior; Human Computer Interaction; Usability; E-Science & Distributed Collaboration; Virtual Organizations; User Modeling; Mobile Technologies.
2. Information Organization and Representation: Meta data; Taxonomies; Information Visualization; Information Architecture; Digital Libraries; Indexing and Abstracting; Classification; Social Tagging; Semantic Web and Ontology; Social Media.
3. Information Use & Analysis: Information Seeking and User Studies; Strategic, Security & Competitive Intelligence; Information & Knowledge Management; Comparative Analysis of Information Practices; Information Metrics (Bibliometrics/Informatrics/Webometrics).
4. Information Preservation & Access: Digital Curation; Big Data; E-book; Information Quality; Copyright, Intellectual Properties and Related Issues; Information Literacy.
5. Information Environments & Socio-Cultural Aspects: Organizational & Contextual Issues; Security & Privacy; Economics of Information; Social Informatics; Information Policy; Foundation of Information Science; Digital Humanities; Web 3.0 and related technologies; Cloud Computing.
There will be up to three winners who will be selected by a panel of judges including: Maqsood Shaheen (IRC, US Embassy Islamabad), Alma Rivera (Universidad Iberoamericana Ciudad de México), and, Fatih Oguz (University of North Carolina at Greensboro).
The judging criteria will be based on:
1. Originality of paper in the developing world and global information ecosystem (originality of the project described, etc.)
2. Relevance to the paper contest theme
3. Quality of argument, presentation and organization
Eligibility & Information for authors
Only papers by a principal author who is a citizen of, and resides in a developing country are eligible. Winners in the 2009-2012 contests are not eligible. The papers should be original, unpublished, and submitted in English. We encourage submissions from librarians, information and network specialists, and educators involved in the creation, representation, maintenance, exchange, discovery, delivery, and use of digital information.
The award for each winner is a two-year individual membership in ASIS&T. In the case of multiple authors, the principal author will be awarded the ASIS&T membership. In addition, depending on SIG III fundraising for this competition, the first place winner will be rewarded a minimum of $1,000 toward travel, conference registration, and accommodations while attending the ASIS&T Annual Conference in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, November 1-6, 2013.
The international paper contest committee requires that submissions follow the International Information and Library Review instructions to authors. Detailed information is available under the heading, Guide for Authors at: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622845/authorinstructions
Submitted papers will be considered for inclusion in a special issue of the International
Information and Library Review, subject to the usual peer refereeing process, for that journal.
ASIS&T Copyright Policy
ASIS&T will have the non-exclusive right to publish any of the papers submitted on its web site or in print, with ownership and all other rights remaining with the author.
Deadline for submission of full papers: Authors are invited to submit manuscripts, not to exceed 5,000 words, by May 31, 2013, to Maqsood Shaheen at ShaheenMA@..., preferably as Microsoft Word or PDF attachments.
International Paper Contest Committee, SIG III
American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T)
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/asist.sig.iii/__._
Muhammad Sajid Mirza Ph.D
Dawah Academy Library,
International Islamic University
Faisal Mosque Campus, Islamabad. Pakistan
1st Place Winner of ASIS&T SIG III International Paper Contest 2012