Google Reader is shutting down here are alternatives

  • Muhammad Imran
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2013
      Assalam-o-Alaikum !

      Google Reader is shutting down here are alternatives

      Yesterday, Google announced that it is shutting down its service Google Reader in July. Google Reader community is understandably pissed off and I am one of them . I heavily rely  on Google Reader in reading online and while there are other alternatives to Google Reader, it is very hard to find a good and reliable reader like Google Reader and for free. However, we still have 4 months to decide on our next feed reader and there is nothing better than experimenting with each of the readers  below till you find the one that you like the best.
      I know there are thousands of readers of this blog who read my articles through Google Reader but thankfully at least Google provided a way for us to download all our feeds and upload them into another reader and here is how to do it.

      • Visit Google Reader Takeout  homepage and click on Create Archive button, the feeds will be uploaded into a file and once the download is completed click on Download button
      • Now open up the Zip file you just downloaded and find the file named " subscriptions.xml then extract it to your desktop.
      • Go to the new feed reader you want to use, head into ints settings and look for the Import option.
      • Select import and import the xml file you have previously downloaded and in this way all your feeds should appear in your new reader.
      Here are some alternatives to Google Reader. Try them out and see which one you like
      1- Feedly

      This is the one I am thinking to use as a replacement to Google Reader. It has a newspaper like interface and works both for the web and mobile version. It also provides browser extensions for both Chrome and Firefox.
      2- NewsBlur

      This is my second choice in case Feedly did not work out  for me. Newsblur looks better than Netvibes, it is more polished and has apps for both iOS and Android
      3- Flipboard

      This is a great app for both iOS and Android. If you read your feeds on mobile devices you definitely need to consider Flipboard
      4- Netvibes

      This might be a good alternative to Google Reader , it has many interesting features and an attractive interface, however, the basic version is limited in the services it provides and you need to pay for more functionality options
      --
      Thanks & Best regards,
      MUHAMMAD IMRAN