Re: Serious Concern over increased Library rates schedule of conversion of foreign currency

  • Javed
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2013
      I hope this will help

      http://www.sbp.org.pk/ecodata/rates/m2m/2013/Mar/Mar.asp

      Kind Regards
      anjum
      ps: sorry, i am not a senior, i m just a student!

      --- In plagpk@yahoogroups.com, rana javed <ranaziajaved@...> wrote:

      > Dear LIS Professionals,
      >
      > Assalam-o-allaikum all of you
      >
      > Hopefully you all will be enjoying best of your health.I have one query in my mind which i would like to be clarified by senior LIS Professionals.
      > For Library rates for libraries and institutions a committee is composed by Ministry of education with approval of Finance division Government of Pakistan which determines the schedules of conversion and discount for purchase of books/journals and other library materials.Normally  this committee issues schedule for period of three months and after three months these rates are revised.
      > I have observed that open market currency rates are less always and library rates are much more than even average rates of any foreign currency.For example
      >
      > For library rates schedule from 1st January 2013 to 31st March 2013  average of spot bank selling rate of US Dollar from 21-11-2012 to 20-12-2012 was 96.72 pak rupees whereas library rates for imported publications rate of US Dollar was 115.09 with almost 19% increase which is said as Mark up 13%+6% W.H.Tax.
      >
      > Serious Consideration is that if i want to pay for my personal book purchase i will pay Rs.96.72 and if i purchase that book for my library my library will have to pay Rs.115.09 for same book.Due to this reason  if my University library has 8 million pak ruppes as its budget it pays atleast 8 lac extra
      >
      > My concept is different and i think if i have to purchase personal and i get anything in Rs.96 when it is purchased in bulk and with more amount its rate must be even less than Rs.96 or can be equal to Rs.96 but no justification of payment of Extra 19 rupees for each dollar.
      >
      > There can be reasons provided for this increased rates but if we think with logic there seems to be no logic in it .Its matter of common sense that if we purchase one specific thing and its rate is 96 rupees but when we purchase same 100 things we are made bound to pay 119 for each unit no justification for this seems to me.
      >
      > I through this e-mail request all the senior professionals to look into the matter and see the possibilities of any huge commission for the purpose is involved or its done just in ignorance.Rates for next quarter will be coming soon so before that this discussion must be matured and tehre must be some result
      >

      > Hopefully seniors will guide me as i am feeling pain while paying extra for huge purchases and paying less for small personal purchases.
      >
      > Waiting for all seniors to start discussion on the said issue
      >
      > Thanking you
      >

      > With Best Regards,
      >
      > Rana Zia Javed Joyia
      >
      > Head Reserve/Oriental section DRSM Library
      > Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad
      >
      > Mobile#0300-4382511
      > Office# 051-90642076
      > e-mail   ranaziajaved@...

    • Niaz
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2013
        If I purchase a book from a foreign publisher/supplier (McGrahill/Amazon) then there would be not only the cost of the item in dollar/pound but there would be shipping and handling charges too. You may calculate the cost of arrival to library and then compare with the cost occurred from the Lib rates.
        Hope this will satisfy you and solve your concern.

        I have procured books via direct payment to amazon.com as well as foreign publishers from my official credit card at the dollar rate of the Sate Bank and also acquiring/importing books via local suppliers in lahore, the item arrival-cost is mostly the same.

        Regards
        Niaz Khan
        Manager /Gp Head (Lib)
        SUPARCO Lahore
        PH#042-35293040, Ext. 4225
        Cell# 0322-2730639

[...]

      • Bushra Almas Jaswal
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14, 2013
          Dear Zia Javed,

          The book dollar rate for Library Books imports, is established by a committee at National Library for a certain period and covers the following:
          1. Dollar rate fluctuation during that period
          2. Cost of shipping and handling
          3. Custom Clearance and import duties paid
          However, you  have the right to check the formula from National Library for your satisfaction. PLA and National Library are  part of the rates Committee. What makes you think that the issue is not being considered seriously?

          Bushra A. Jaswal

          ------- :)

          ~~! Join  PCLAConnect  Here !~~
          to remain informed about latest developments and updates on Revised Service Structure and Service Rules for Punjab College Librarians.
          Bushra Almas Jaswal
          Chief Librarian & Associate Professor,
          Ewing Memorial Library,
          Forman Christian College (a Chartered University), Feroze Pur Road, Lahore
          Phone 9231581-8, Ext-325
          E-mail:
          bushrajaswal@... or bushra.jaswal@...
          Moblie (92)0300-5117435