Re: [librarianwelfare] Re: [plagpk] 2013: A way forward

  • Shahid Soroya
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
      Dear Adnan,

      I could not stop to reply after reading your email. I do agree on both things and I have expressed my opinion on these areas. The first matter is Accreditation Council, I think there is no harm in making the body under the banner of HEC as it would value more. Further, such councils are always consist on field related people. PLA is ready to play its part independently as well, if the library schools are ready to accept. Lets wait from the opinion from library schools.

      2nd thing is also very important, I have expressed many time the need of constitutional amendments, which is surely need of the hour. Soon, we shall float the email for proposals for this purpose.

      Lets hope for serious debate.

      Regards,

      Muhammad Shahid Soroya
      Regional Librarian
      Allama Iqbal Open University, Lahore
      Ph.D Scholar (CSAS, PU, LHR)
      M.Phil, MLIS, LLB (PU)

      Secretary General (2012-2014)
      Pakistan Library Association (www.pla.org.pk)
      President (2012-2014)
      President
      Pakistan Librarians Welfare Organization (www.librarianswelfare.org)
      SLA-PAM International Membership Award Winner 2007
      PAM Information Ethics Ambassador 2009
      Patron
      International Journal of Information Management Sciences

      From: Shahid Soroya <shahidsoroya@...>
      Subject: [plagpk] 2013: A way forward
      To: "Shah" <librarianwelfare@yahoogroups.com>, "Ajmal" <plagpk@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 8:45 AM

      Dear Colleagues,

      We have started our journey in 2013 with new passion and commitment to achieve our objectives. We have to analyze our role in 2012 and make a neutral assessment of individual and collective efforts for this profession. Let’s make this year more fruitful and more memorable. I am optimistic in many ways, we have now many LIS Schools who have started M.Phil and Ph.D programmes. Private sector in the shape of Minhaj University has also entered in LIS education and successfully moving ahead. I think soon few more private universities will be able to launch such programmes including “Masters in Information Science” and onward. These new degrees would enable us to find out new avenues for our professionals.

      We have to look into job possibilities to touch fields other than Libraries and help our professionals. We need a collective effort to realize the public and government, the importance of libraries and librarians. I was just going through PML (N) Manifesto 2008 in which they promised to pay special attention to libraries. But unfortunately, they spent a large amount to computer lab and laptop scheme but not to libraries. I spoke in TV programmes and other forums to bring in the notice of higher authorities. A collective move is needed to make all political parties realize to add this in the manifesto. We have written to all leading parties to give priorities to libraries in their manifesto.

      2013 would be much better year, what I believe, if we move ahead with positive attitude. Pakistan Library Association has started working on different areas. We need your help and support to achieve those goals. PLA International Conference 2013 has been finalized and formally announced soon. HEC has been approached to form accreditation council for LIS Education. PLA Research Journal will be launched in 2013. We are waiting for announcement of notification of College Librarians Service Structure to re-start our struggle for vacant posts. We are not satisfied with the attitude of Secretary Schools and demanded his immediate removal. We have also demanded announcement of vacant positions of librarians in higher secondary schools.

      Meetings with high officials under the leadership of Dr. Ramzan, Dr. Khalid and Ch. M.Hanif are continued and hopefully would be fruitful. Pakistan Library Association will work with other branches and sister organization in order to achieve common goals. We shall never give up; we shall struggle for the betterment of this profession. Let’s start this year with new vision and commitment.

      With Best Regards,
      Muhammad Shahid Soroya
      Regional Librarian
      Allama Iqbal Open University, Lahore

      Ph.D Scholar (CSAS, PU, LHR)
      M.Phil, MLIS, LLB (PU)

      Secretary General (2012-2014)
      Pakistan Library Association (www.pla.org.pk)
      President (2012-2014)
      President
      Pakistan Librarians Welfare Organization (www.librarianswelfare.org)
      SLA-PAM International Membership Award Winner 2007
      PAM Information Ethics Ambassador 2009
      Patron
      International Journal of Information Management Sciences

    • arshad Ali
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2013
        Dear Sir, when 300 seats are coming of librarians ??

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2013
          Respected sir,
          what about service structure for librarians? any news?

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20, 2013
            AOA Respected Members i need some information and matrial at least seven pages  on Acquisition servises seven pages 10 references 4 from book 4 from jounarals 2 others needed on thursday 21 date if any one intersted reply me
            Thanks