I am responding this email to that person who has written this email because it is not written by respected Shahid Rafiq Bhutta.
I dont know whether this is an effort to divert the PLA office bearers or just to engage them in non-issues. This might be an effort to grab the attention of my young colleagues who are suffering due to this job vacant position issue. I am not going to change the words but just here to tell the actual story which I personally know and have gone through.
1. On August 07, 2009 at Press Club,
Dr. M. Ramzan, Anwar Ch. and me had press conference and few lines which were reported in PLAP NewsLetter which was published under editorship of Madam Bushra Almas Jaswal. Dr. Ramzan said
"He stressed that Government must announce the vacant positions of Librarians in Colleges which have not been announced for more than ten years. This has created the situation of market saturation and young professionals are facing difficulties in finding new jobs. He also told that male and female professionals are being exploited because of this reason. He asked the government to approve four-tier structure for college librarians. Mr. Anwar and Mr. Shahid also spoke at the occasion.
2. The day (08th August 2009), last PLA Punjab body took over, we started our
struggle for this very important issue. On Oath Taking day, elected President PLA Punjab emphasized and same was reported by me in 1st Issue of PLAP News letter. Just few lines of speech of then DPI, Mr. Razzaq Cheema
"He said the Punjab higher education department would now initiate a four-tire structure for librarians and send requisition to the Punjab Public Service Commission for the recruitment of librarians in BPS-17. He said a large number of librarians’ posts were lying vacant in colleges which will be filled in due course of time".
3. I think my email on December 09, 2012 which is available in archives of PLWO and Paklag would be enough to find my personal view point in which I requested all the stake holders to play their role for this very
4. A poll was also created to check the view point of people to find out ways to solve this issue. You can check the results on PLWO Group.
5. In 3rd meeting of PLA Punjab, the same issue was discussed and committee was formed also reported to PLAP Newsletter.
6. A separate move was also started to solve this issue using plateform of Pakistan Librarians Welfare Organization. Letters were written to all concerned. Press releases were given. Assembly question was also raised through MPA. Details were shared through attachments with email of the undersigned on March 05, 2012. Just a link of news
7. On March 19, 2012, I shared another document in the shape of letter which was written to DPI by Secretary, Higher Education Punjab to provide details about vacant positions of Librarians.
8. My Email on groups on April 27, 2012 would be enough to understand the role of stake holders in this regard.
9. On the request of the undersigned CM, Punjab issued directive to Secretary, Higher Education to announce the vacant positions of Librarians in Colleges.
10. A number of times, President PLA Punjab issued press releases and gave his statements to ask government of the Punjab to announce positions. At number of occasion in TV talk shows, newspapers forums this issue was raised.In personal visits to Secretariat, Dr. Ramzan, Ch. Hanif, Anwar Ch and other colleagues continuously raised this issue.
I was working on this very special issue but stop my working when I received call from Mr. Iqbal Hussain Asad who convinced me that announcement of these positions in BPS-16 would definitely disturb their case of Service Structure. I believe Mr. Rafiq Shahid Bhutta and Mr. Iqbal Hussain Asad have been working for the betterment of this profession and they contributed a lot. I have acknowledged them a number of times and we are in contact with each
other.So it was mutually decided that struggle for the announcement of vacant positions would be re-initiated after solution of service structure issue.
I hope my other colleagues from PLA HQ and PLA Punjab would more clarify the matter. If I could not get proper response from colleagues, I would better better decide to resign. Enough is enough. We have to stop this, we should encourage those who are sparing time for this profession and should discourage those who are just trying to divert the thinking of people. We should understand who are playing behind and whose fingers are typing. We should also understand the people who become biased when they sit on the seat of justice. We should leave Munafqat now.
I understand this would be difficult to digest but I have already been victimized and this is being spread to my close and dear ones. I am ready for future consequences as well.I am grateful to all those who supported me and stood with me through thick and thin.
I have attached few documents for the readers to check whether these words are authentic or not.
With Best Regards,
M. Shahid Soroya
Ph.D Scholar (CSAS, PU, Lahore)
LLB (PU), MLIS (PU), M.Phil (PU)
Regional Librarian, AIOU, Regional Campus,
SLA-PAM International Membership Award Winner 2007
Secretary General, Pakistan Library Association
President, Pakistan Librarians Welfare Organization
Patron, International Journal of Information Management Sciences