Re: [plagpk] Ethics of using email groups regarding PLA elections

  • Muhammad Sajid Mirza
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
      It is a very good initiative toward ethical librarianship in the Country. It is also an application of recommendation given in a recently published research paper titled "Information ethics in Pakistani librarianship: The role of online mailing groups" in The International Information & Library Review.

      Best Regards,

      Muhammad Sajid Mirza

      On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Dr. Khalid Mahmood <khalidmahmood@...> wrote:

      Dear Colleagues,

      It is a good sign that, although after some gap, we, the LIS professionals in Pakistan, are able to conduct elections of our national association. I appreciate the efforts of DG National Library and his team in this regard.

      As you know, email groups in Pakistan are very effective forums to share news and information among thousands of librarians in and outside the country. These groups are also responsible for showing a good image of Pakistani librarians throughout the world.

      Keeping in view this need and some bad incidents in the past, we (the moderators of three groups, i.e., plagpk, libcoop and librarianwelfare) have decided today to follow a code of ethics for approving messages regarding PLA elections 2012.

      1. No message will be approved having derogatory remarks concerning an individual, team, organization or company.

      2. All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials or language are strictly prohibited.

      3. Only messages with full name and institutional affiliation (if any) of the sender will be approved.

      All members are requested to cooperate in keeping these groups useful for all.

      Khalid Mahmood, PhD
      Professor of Library & Information Science
      University of the Punjab
      Lahore, PAKISTAN
      Cell: +92-333-4271285
      Email: khalidmahmood@... and khalid.dlis@...
      Internet: http://pu.edu.pk/faculty/description/96/Dr-Khalid-Mahmood.html

      --

      Muhammad Sajid Mirza  MLS

      Senior Librarian

      Sharia'h Academy Library,

      International Islamic University

      Faisal Mosque Campus, Islamabad. Pakistan

      Office: +92-51-9261761-5  Ext. 286

      Cell: 0333-5385235

      Country Contact | InfoLit Global

      ASIST SIG-III InfoShare Membership Award 2011

      Ex. Asstt. Secretary | PLA (Federal Branch) 2007-2011

    • Shahid Soroya
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2012
        Sir,

        Agreed and implemented for everybody for all emails posted on Librarian Welfare Group

        Regards,

        Shahid Soroya
        Moderator
        Librarian Welfare Group

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2012
          Dear Dr Khalid,
          It is so heartening and encouraging to see LIS thriving/blooming in Punjab.
          Good to hear about PLA elections. This code of conduct was much needed.
          I hope Sindh and other two provinces will follow the same mannerism.

          I;m a life member of PLA but have received nothing so far. Even checked with
          AKU library if there was a mail for me about the elections. Anyhow, I do
          check yahoo mail periodically and learn about the hulla gulla in Punjab.
          Look forward to some productive time after PLA elections.

          Wish you and Kanwal a long life with health and happiness. You two have
          made a real difference....

          Azra Qureshi
          Karachi