Re: SOFTWARE FOR PUBLIC SECTOR UNIVERSITIES

  • rubab_uop
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
      Sir Ata ur Rehman,

      i need to collect information about open source software for libraries. i need a web based or a stand alone software that support a medium level library. can u provide me any information in this regard and from where i can take that software ?.

      Thanks in Advance.

      Regards,

      Rubab Ali
    • Ata ur Rehman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
        Ms Rubab / All

        Thanks for your email.  Free and Open Source Movement is mature enough that it provides the alternatives for library professionals in almost every field.  In ILS category the following software can be considered depending upon the needs and size of library:

        1- OpenBiblio - For small libraries (Unfortunately there is no further development in this project)
        2- phpMyBibli - For Samll to medium libraries using UNIMARC.  By default it is available in French language but also available its English version too
        3- phpMyLibrary - This is also for small to medium size libraries
        4- Koha - ILS - This is for medium to large libraries.  Very active community of practice is available.  New releases with bug fixes and new features comes on monthly basis
        5- Evergreen ILS - It is for large libraries or for the consortium of libraries

        All above software are web-based.  Evergreen ILS comes with a standalone client for windows too

        For further details just google and you will find a lot of details.

        Regards,

        Ata ur Rehman

        Coordinator,
        LISolutions®
        info@...
        http://www.lisolutions.org

        My profiles: Facebook LinkedIn Flickr Twitter Blogger Delicious
        Contact me: Google Talk ata.rehman Skype ata.rehman MSN ata.rehman@...