Re: the costume contest

  • EEGAH316
    Message 1 of 27 , May 9, 2007
      I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
      great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
      before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
      exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
      So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
      Can't wait for the video!

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <seramyuantics@...> wrote:

      > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
      > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
      > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
      > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
      > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
      > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
      > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
      > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
      > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
      > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
      >
      > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
      > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
      > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
      > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
      > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
      > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
      > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
      > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
      > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
      > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
      > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
      > wanted if I would have won...
      >
      > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
      > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

    • hobanagarak
      Message 2 of 27 , May 10, 2007
        As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
        the costume contest are up on their site.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "dlanning75" <dlanning75@...> wrote:

        > I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
        > know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
        > costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
        > found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
        > quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
        > you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
        > Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
        > another fantastic design.
        > >

        > > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
        > > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
        > > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
        > Cobra
        > > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
        > > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
        > > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
        > if
        > > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
        > > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
        > Yet,
        > > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
        > > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
        > >
        > > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
        > ^_^
        > > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
        > > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
        > > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
        > prizes
        > > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
        > > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
        > that
        > > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
        > > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
        > > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
        > stage
        > > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
        > long
        > > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
        > what I
        > > wanted if I would have won...
        > >
        > > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
        > > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

      • sillysully7
        Message 3 of 27 , May 10, 2007
          Yes,

          There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
          done.
          Message 4 of 27 , May 11, 2007
            Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
            its a good time too.

            Message 5 of 27 , May 11, 2007
              In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
              Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
              its a good time too.

              i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

              See what's free at AOL.com.
              Message 6 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                Message 7 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                  Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                  bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                  completing this time around!

                  Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                  can't go wrong.

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                    I couldnt agree more