Re: 501st Legion (was: Color me very flattered)

  • Dan Kirk
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2007
      There were at least 10 Star Wars costumes there on Sunday, but not
      everyone entered the contest.

      Frankly, I do not think that any costuming group should receive
      special treatment at the Comicon. If you wear a costume, you get free
      admission on Sunday. That sounds like a good deal to me.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Blum" <nickyb@...> wrote:

      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
      > >
      > > And I noticed we had a Star Wars category, which was needed after
      > > last year, but there were a lot less Star Wars costumes, probably
      > > since the 501st and Rebel Legion weren't around. Not sure why;
      it
      > > hardly feels like a Con without 'em!
      >
      > As a 501st & Rebel Legion member I can say that the Garrison for PA
      > was disinclined to make PCC an official event (or even attend in
      any
      > capacity) based on the ill treatment and disrespect they've
      received
      > each time they try to work with the organizers (since 2001).
      >
      > They have instead chosen to donate their time to events such as
      Steel
      > City Con (the organizer is a HUGE 501st supporter), Wizard World
      > Philly and of course their charity work for Make-A-Wish, Special
      > Olympics, Autism and many more.
      >
      > It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way as PCC was a fun
      > con in the past, but you will never see the 501st there officially
      > (probably not even unofficially as they were last year) ever again.
      >
      > Nicky
      > Public Relations Officer
      > Garrison Excelsior

    • hobanagarak
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2007
        "I'm curious as to just what happened?..."

        Same here.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "mangoman42" <sheets42@...> wrote:

        > I'm curious as to just what happened? How were they treated poorly?
        > I enjoyed having them around the con but I never knew there was a
        > problem!
        >

        > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yeah, the 501st is a great organization, and I can't understand the
        > > rationale behind treating them poorly. Most conventions love having
        > > them; it makes me wonder what's going through the promoters' minds
        > here.
        > >

        > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Blum" <nickyb@> wrote:

        > after
        > probably
        > it
        > > >
        > > > As a 501st & Rebel Legion member I can say that the Garrison for
        > PA
        > > > was disinclined to make PCC an official event (or even attend in
        > any
        > > > capacity) based on the ill treatment and disrespect they've
        > received
        > > > each time they try to work with the organizers (since 2001).
        > > >
        > > > They have instead chosen to donate their time to events such as
        > Steel
        > > > City Con (the organizer is a HUGE 501st supporter), Wizard World
        > > > Philly and of course their charity work for Make-A-Wish, Special
        > > > Olympics, Autism and many more.
        > > >
        > > > It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way as PCC was a
        > fun
        > > > con in the past, but you will never see the 501st there
        > officially
        > > > (probably not even unofficially as they were last year) ever
        > again.
        > > >
        > > > Nicky
        > > > Public Relations Officer
        > > > Garrison Excelsior

      • R Howard
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2007
          Color me curious too.

          When I mentioned the lack of Stormtroopers to the promoters on Sunday, they seemed as clueless it as I was.

          Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2007
            I couldnt agree more

            There were at least 10 Star Wars costumes there on Sunday, but not
            everyone entered the contest.

            Frankly, I do not think that any costuming group should receive
            special treatment at the Comicon. If you wear a costume, you get free
            admission on Sunday. That sounds like a good deal to me.

            --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "Nicole Blum" <nickyb@...> wrote:

            > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
            > >
            > > And I noticed we had a Star Wars category, which was needed after
            > > last year, but there were a lot less Star Wars costumes, probably
            > > since the 501st and Rebel Legion weren't around. Not sure why;
            it
            > > hardly feels like a Con without 'em!
            >
            > As a 501st & Rebel Legion member I can say that the Garrison for PA
            > was disinclined to make PCC an official event (or even attend in
            any
            > capacity) based on the ill treatment and disrespect they've
            received
            > each time they try to work with the organizers (since 2001).
            >
            > They have instead chosen to donate their time to events such as
            Steel
            > City Con (the organizer is a HUGE 501st supporter), Wizard World
            > Philly and of course their charity work for Make-A-Wish, Special
            > Olympics, Autism and many more.
            >
            > It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way as PCC was a fun
            > con in the past, but you will never see the 501st there officially
            > (probably not even unofficially as they were last year) ever again.
            >
            > Nicky
            > Public Relations Officer
            > Garrison Excelsior

            Finding fabulous fares is fun.