Re: 501st Legion (was: Color me very flattered)

  • EEGAH316
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2007
      Yeah, the 501st is a great organization, and I can't understand the
      rationale behind treating them poorly. Most conventions love having
      them; it makes me wonder what's going through the promoters' minds here.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Blum" <nickyb@...> wrote:

      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
      > >
      > > And I noticed we had a Star Wars category, which was needed after
      > > last year, but there were a lot less Star Wars costumes, probably
      > > since the 501st and Rebel Legion weren't around. Not sure why; it
      > > hardly feels like a Con without 'em!
      >
      > As a 501st & Rebel Legion member I can say that the Garrison for PA
      > was disinclined to make PCC an official event (or even attend in any
      > capacity) based on the ill treatment and disrespect they've received
      > each time they try to work with the organizers (since 2001).
      >
      > They have instead chosen to donate their time to events such as Steel
      > City Con (the organizer is a HUGE 501st supporter), Wizard World
      > Philly and of course their charity work for Make-A-Wish, Special
      > Olympics, Autism and many more.
      >
      > It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way as PCC was a fun
      > con in the past, but you will never see the 501st there officially
      > (probably not even unofficially as they were last year) ever again.
      >
      > Nicky
      > Public Relations Officer
      > Garrison Excelsior

    • mangoman42
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2007
        I'm curious as to just what happened? How were they treated poorly?
        I enjoyed having them around the con but I never knew there was a
        problem!

        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2007
          I cant wait to hear how they was treated badly.

          I'm curious as to just what happened? How were they treated poorly?
          I enjoyed having them around the con but I never knew there was a
          problem!

          --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@.. .> wrote:

          > Yeah, the 501st is a great organization, and I can't understand the
          > rationale behind treating them poorly. Most conventions love having
          > them; it makes me wonder what's going through the promoters' minds
          here.

          > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "Nicole Blum" <nickyb@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > And I noticed we had a Star Wars category, which was needed
          after
          > > > last year, but there were a lot less Star Wars costumes,
          probably
          > > > since the 501st and Rebel Legion weren't around. Not sure why;
          it
          > > > hardly feels like a Con without 'em!
          > >
          > > As a 501st & Rebel Legion member I can say that the Garrison for
          PA
          > > was disinclined to make PCC an official event (or even attend in
          any
          > > capacity) based on the ill treatment and disrespect they've
          received
          > > each time they try to work with the organizers (since 2001).
          > >
          > > They have instead chosen to donate their time to events such as
          Steel
          > > City Con (the organizer is a HUGE 501st supporter), Wizard World
          > > Philly and of course their charity work for Make-A-Wish, Special
          > > Olympics, Autism and many more.
          > >
          > > It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way as PCC was a
          fun
          > > con in the past, but you will never see the 501st there
          officially
          > > (probably not even unofficially as they were last year) ever
          again.

          > > Nicky
          > > Public Relations Officer
          > > Garrison Excelsior

          Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        • Dan Kirk
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2007
            There were at least 10 Star Wars costumes there on Sunday, but not
            everyone entered the contest.

            Frankly, I do not think that any costuming group should receive
            special treatment at the Comicon. If you wear a costume, you get free
            admission on Sunday. That sounds like a good deal to me.

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Blum" <nickyb@...> wrote:

            > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
            > >
            > > And I noticed we had a Star Wars category, which was needed after
            > > last year, but there were a lot less Star Wars costumes, probably
            > > since the 501st and Rebel Legion weren't around. Not sure why;
            it
            > > hardly feels like a Con without 'em!
            >
            > As a 501st & Rebel Legion member I can say that the Garrison for PA
            > was disinclined to make PCC an official event (or even attend in
            any
            > capacity) based on the ill treatment and disrespect they've
            received
            > each time they try to work with the organizers (since 2001).
            >
            > They have instead chosen to donate their time to events such as
            Steel
            > City Con (the organizer is a HUGE 501st supporter), Wizard World
            > Philly and of course their charity work for Make-A-Wish, Special
            > Olympics, Autism and many more.
            >
            > It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way as PCC was a fun
            > con in the past, but you will never see the 501st there officially
            > (probably not even unofficially as they were last year) ever again.
            >
            > Nicky
            > Public Relations Officer
            > Garrison Excelsior

          • hobanagarak
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2007
              "I'm curious as to just what happened?..."

              Same here.

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "mangoman42" <sheets42@...> wrote:

              > I'm curious as to just what happened? How were they treated poorly?
              > I enjoyed having them around the con but I never knew there was a
              > problem!
              >

              > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yeah, the 501st is a great organization, and I can't understand the
              > > rationale behind treating them poorly. Most conventions love having
              > > them; it makes me wonder what's going through the promoters' minds
              > here.
              > >

              > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Blum" <nickyb@> wrote:

              > after
              > probably
              > it
              > > >
              > > > As a 501st & Rebel Legion member I can say that the Garrison for
              > PA
              > > > was disinclined to make PCC an official event (or even attend in
              > any
              > > > capacity) based on the ill treatment and disrespect they've
              > received
              > > > each time they try to work with the organizers (since 2001).
              > > >
              > > > They have instead chosen to donate their time to events such as
              > Steel
              > > > City Con (the organizer is a HUGE 501st supporter), Wizard World
              > > > Philly and of course their charity work for Make-A-Wish, Special
              > > > Olympics, Autism and many more.
              > > >
              > > > It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way as PCC was a
              > fun
              > > > con in the past, but you will never see the 501st there
              > officially
              > > > (probably not even unofficially as they were last year) ever
              > again.
              > > >
              > > > Nicky
              > > > Public Relations Officer
              > > > Garrison Excelsior

            • R Howard
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2007
                Color me curious too.

                When I mentioned the lack of Stormtroopers to the promoters on Sunday, they seemed as clueless it as I was.

                Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2007
                  I couldnt agree more

                  There were at least 10 Star Wars costumes there on Sunday, but not
                  everyone entered the contest.

                  Frankly, I do not think that any costuming group should receive
                  special treatment at the Comicon. If you wear a costume, you get free
                  admission on Sunday. That sounds like a good deal to me.

                  --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "Nicole Blum" <nickyb@...> wrote:

                  > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > And I noticed we had a Star Wars category, which was needed after
                  > > last year, but there were a lot less Star Wars costumes, probably
                  > > since the 501st and Rebel Legion weren't around. Not sure why;
                  it
                  > > hardly feels like a Con without 'em!
                  >
                  > As a 501st & Rebel Legion member I can say that the Garrison for PA
                  > was disinclined to make PCC an official event (or even attend in
                  any
                  > capacity) based on the ill treatment and disrespect they've
                  received
                  > each time they try to work with the organizers (since 2001).
                  >
                  > They have instead chosen to donate their time to events such as
                  Steel
                  > City Con (the organizer is a HUGE 501st supporter), Wizard World
                  > Philly and of course their charity work for Make-A-Wish, Special
                  > Olympics, Autism and many more.
                  >
                  > It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way as PCC was a fun
                  > con in the past, but you will never see the 501st there officially
                  > (probably not even unofficially as they were last year) ever again.
                  >
                  > Nicky
                  > Public Relations Officer
                  > Garrison Excelsior

                  Finding fabulous fares is fun.