Re: [pittscomicon] Re: the costume contest

    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2007
      In a message dated 5/2/2007 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
      > commando with goggles

      Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
      the first one. It was a good costume.

      thanks, last year when i first walked in i was like eh no one is going to know who i am and i was surprised at how many people know who i was even from behind. this year i easily had twice the requests for pictures. its flattering to have that much attention for a costume i didnt think people knew who i was. i found myself alot of times smiling for the pictures and not realizing it till after and think to myself  "you idiot why did you smile they cant see your face"  lol  i even had an artist remember me from last year when i was in street clothes and say hey your wearing the snake eyes costume again this year right, bc i want a pic!  that blew me away.
      we all should go out in costume for halloween, tho i dont think many places will let me in with a sword and knives and some fake guns and grenades lol
      -bart

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • Samantha
      Message 2 of 27 , May 8, 2007
        > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
        > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
        > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
        > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
        > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
        > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
        > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
        > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
        > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
        > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

        First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
        It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
        right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
        makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
        to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
        correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
        had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
        presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
        That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
        anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
        as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
        wanted if I would have won...

        Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
        of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
      • dlanning75
        Message 3 of 27 , May 8, 2007
          I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
          know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
          costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
          found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
          quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
          you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
          Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
          another fantastic design.

          > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
          > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
          > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
          Cobra
          > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
          > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
          > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
          if
          > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
          > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
          Yet,
          > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
          > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
          >
          > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
          ^_^
          > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
          > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
          > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
          prizes
          > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
          > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
          that
          > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
          > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
          > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
          stage
          > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
          long
          > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
          what I
          > wanted if I would have won...
          >
          > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
          > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

        • EEGAH316
          Message 4 of 27 , May 9, 2007
            I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
            great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
            before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
            exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
            So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
            Can't wait for the video!

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <seramyuantics@...> wrote:

            > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
            > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
            > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
            > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
            > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
            > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
            > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
            > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
            > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
            > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
            >
            > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
            > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
            > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
            > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
            > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
            > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
            > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
            > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
            > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
            > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
            > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
            > wanted if I would have won...
            >
            > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
            > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

          • hobanagarak
            Message 5 of 27 , May 10, 2007
              As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
              the costume contest are up on their site.

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "dlanning75" <dlanning75@...> wrote:

              > I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
              > know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
              > costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
              > found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
              > quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
              > you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
              > Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
              > another fantastic design.
              > >

              > > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
              > > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
              > > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
              > Cobra
              > > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
              > > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
              > > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
              > if
              > > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
              > > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
              > Yet,
              > > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
              > > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
              > >
              > > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
              > ^_^
              > > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
              > > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
              > > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
              > prizes
              > > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
              > > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
              > that
              > > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
              > > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
              > > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
              > stage
              > > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
              > long
              > > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
              > what I
              > > wanted if I would have won...
              > >
              > > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
              > > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

            • sillysully7
              Message 6 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                Yes,

                There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
                done.
                Message 7 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                  Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                  its a good time too.

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                    In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
                    Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                    its a good time too.

                    i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

                    See what's free at AOL.com.
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                      aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                        Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                        bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                        completing this time around!

                        Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                        can't go wrong.

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                          I couldnt agree more