Re: the costume contest

  • ja_glinka
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2007
      > commando with goggles

      Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
      the first one. It was a good costume.
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2007
        In a message dated 5/2/2007 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
        > commando with goggles

        Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
        the first one. It was a good costume.

        thanks, last year when i first walked in i was like eh no one is going to know who i am and i was surprised at how many people know who i was even from behind. this year i easily had twice the requests for pictures. its flattering to have that much attention for a costume i didnt think people knew who i was. i found myself alot of times smiling for the pictures and not realizing it till after and think to myself  "you idiot why did you smile they cant see your face"  lol  i even had an artist remember me from last year when i was in street clothes and say hey your wearing the snake eyes costume again this year right, bc i want a pic!  that blew me away.
        we all should go out in costume for halloween, tho i dont think many places will let me in with a sword and knives and some fake guns and grenades lol
        -bart

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • Samantha
        Message 3 of 27 , May 8, 2007
          > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
          > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
          > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
          > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
          > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
          > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
          > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
          > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
          > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
          > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

          First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
          It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
          right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
          makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
          to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
          correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
          had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
          presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
          That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
          anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
          as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
          wanted if I would have won...

          Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
          of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
        • dlanning75
          Message 4 of 27 , May 8, 2007
            I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
            know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
            costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
            found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
            quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
            you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
            Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
            another fantastic design.

            > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
            > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
            > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
            Cobra
            > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
            > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
            > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
            if
            > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
            > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
            Yet,
            > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
            > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
            >
            > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
            ^_^
            > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
            > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
            > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
            prizes
            > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
            > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
            that
            > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
            > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
            > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
            stage
            > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
            long
            > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
            what I
            > wanted if I would have won...
            >
            > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
            > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

          • EEGAH316
            Message 5 of 27 , May 9, 2007
              I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
              great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
              before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
              exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
              So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
              Can't wait for the video!

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <seramyuantics@...> wrote:

              > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
              > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
              > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
              > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
              > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
              > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
              > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
              > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
              > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
              > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
              >
              > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
              > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
              > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
              > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
              > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
              > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
              > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
              > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
              > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
              > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
              > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
              > wanted if I would have won...
              >
              > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
              > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

            • hobanagarak
              Message 6 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
                the costume contest are up on their site.

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "dlanning75" <dlanning75@...> wrote:

                > I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                > know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                > costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                > found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                > quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                > you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                > Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                > another fantastic design.
                > >

                > > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                > > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                > > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                > Cobra
                > > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                > > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                > > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                > if
                > > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                > > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                > Yet,
                > > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                > > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                > >
                > > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                > ^_^
                > > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                > > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                > > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                > prizes
                > > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                > > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                > that
                > > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                > > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                > > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                > stage
                > > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                > long
                > > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                > what I
                > > wanted if I would have won...
                > >
                > > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                > > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

              • sillysully7
                Message 7 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                  Yes,

                  There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
                  done.
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                    Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                    its a good time too.

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                      In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
                      Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                      its a good time too.

                      i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

                      See what's free at AOL.com.
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                        aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                          Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                          bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                          completing this time around!

                          Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                          can't go wrong.

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                            I couldnt agree more