Re: the costume contest

  • ja_glinka
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2007
      > I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I
      definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all
      worked really hard on our costumes.

      I'm not familiar with the Venture Brothers, though at this point I
      understand they're a pop-culture parody cartoon. Having seen you on
      Saturday and at the "Contest", the work you put into your costumes
      was obvious. Most everything looked hand-made, with the exception of
      standard clothing that had been selected for style-match. In
      addition, the group performance demonstrated self-parody, which I
      believe was basically "in-character" for the theme of your source
      material. I think it was easier to gauge effort and sketch ability
      amongst the groups. OTOH, I would've been interested to hear all the
      details you just gave during an on-stage show and tell.

      With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
      arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
      players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
      Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
      better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
      well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
      simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
      technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
      the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
      combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part. Performance
      really was a huge part of the grade, which leaves me wondering why
      Deadpool didn't get a nod.

      > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
      grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
      didnt sign up.

      Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
      The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
      character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
      "ham it up".

      I almost chose to abstain, as well. I've been in and observed art
      contests for quite a few years now and when the judges don't offer
      their credentials beyond "We're popular".... *shrugs* In addition, on
      a purely subjective level, interaction with the marshmallow puff-man
      on the Con floor earlier left me with an impression of unpleasant
      smug arrogance. Turned out he couldn't quite restrain his urge to
      upstage other cosplayers, as an MC. I almost walked out partway
      through the show, but we were there for the photos. Fortunately, most
      everyone seemed to have more fun posing before and after the official
      contest.
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2007
        In a message dated 5/2/2007 7:12:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
        > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
        grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
        didnt sign up.

        Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
        The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
        character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
        "ham it up".

        commando with goggles

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • ja_glinka
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2, 2007
          > commando with goggles

          Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
          the first one. It was a good costume.
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2, 2007
            In a message dated 5/2/2007 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
            > commando with goggles

            Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
            the first one. It was a good costume.

            thanks, last year when i first walked in i was like eh no one is going to know who i am and i was surprised at how many people know who i was even from behind. this year i easily had twice the requests for pictures. its flattering to have that much attention for a costume i didnt think people knew who i was. i found myself alot of times smiling for the pictures and not realizing it till after and think to myself  "you idiot why did you smile they cant see your face"  lol  i even had an artist remember me from last year when i was in street clothes and say hey your wearing the snake eyes costume again this year right, bc i want a pic!  that blew me away.
            we all should go out in costume for halloween, tho i dont think many places will let me in with a sword and knives and some fake guns and grenades lol
            -bart

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • Samantha
            Message 5 of 27 , May 8, 2007
              > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
              > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
              > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
              > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
              > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
              > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
              > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
              > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
              > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
              > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

              First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
              It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
              right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
              makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
              to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
              correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
              had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
              presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
              That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
              anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
              as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
              wanted if I would have won...

              Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
              of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
            • dlanning75
              Message 6 of 27 , May 8, 2007
                I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                another fantastic design.

                > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                Cobra
                > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                if
                > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                Yet,
                > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                >
                > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                ^_^
                > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                prizes
                > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                that
                > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                stage
                > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                long
                > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                what I
                > wanted if I would have won...
                >
                > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

              • EEGAH316
                Message 7 of 27 , May 9, 2007
                  I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
                  great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
                  before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
                  exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
                  So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
                  Can't wait for the video!

                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <seramyuantics@...> wrote:

                  > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                  > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                  > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                  > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                  > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                  > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                  > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                  > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                  > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                  > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                  >
                  > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                  > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                  > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                  > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                  > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                  > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                  > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                  > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                  > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                  > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                  > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                  > wanted if I would have won...
                  >
                  > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                  > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                • hobanagarak
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                    As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
                    the costume contest are up on their site.

                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "dlanning75" <dlanning75@...> wrote:

                    > I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                    > know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                    > costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                    > found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                    > quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                    > you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                    > Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                    > another fantastic design.
                    > >

                    > > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                    > > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                    > > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                    > Cobra
                    > > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                    > > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                    > > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                    > if
                    > > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                    > > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                    > Yet,
                    > > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                    > > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                    > >
                    > > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                    > ^_^
                    > > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                    > > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                    > > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                    > prizes
                    > > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                    > > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                    > that
                    > > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                    > > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                    > > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                    > stage
                    > > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                    > long
                    > > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                    > what I
                    > > wanted if I would have won...
                    > >
                    > > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                    > > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                  • sillysully7
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                      Yes,

                      There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
                      done.
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                        Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                        its a good time too.

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                          In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
                          Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                          its a good time too.

                          i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

                          See what's free at AOL.com.
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                            aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                              Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                              bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                              completing this time around!

                              Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                              can't go wrong.

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                I couldnt agree more