Re: the costume contest

  • fanky_malloon
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2 12:57 PM
      BTW-The entire Venture Group was fantastic. The time you spent on
      those cotumes was obvious. I was hanging out on the side of the stage
      and saw one of The Monarch's darts that landed near us. Needless to
      say I was impressed that not only did he have working dart launchers,
      but they even had little butterflies on them (the darts). Great eye
      for detail.

      I shared the photos from this site with some friends and they were
      amazed.

      I think you all should find a good picture of you all and email that
      in to Adult Swim.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Alyson Mae Rhodes"
      <kashira@...> wrote:

      > Hi all.
      the Dr.
      > Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I definitely know the
      size of our
      > group helped us out a lot, but we all worked really hard on our
      costumes.
      > Except for the spandex bodysuit, my boyfriend Jon made all of his
      Monarch
      > costume - including the nose prosthetic, the beard and the
      eyebrows. The two
      > of us were in his basement for hours on Saturday night reinforcing
      his chest
      > armor with dental acrylic and latex. Julia scoured thrift stores
      making sure
      > her Girl Hitler costume was exact, and she also sewed the jherkins
      (or
      > however the hell it's spelled) and shorts for the henchmen. I know
      we were
      > helped by strength in numbers, but we also worked on our costumes
      for months
      > prior to the con and I'm just really happy everything turned out so
      well.

      > I also thought the judge's comments towards the girl dressed as
      Psylocke
      > were inappropriate, especially when I found out she was only 19.
      Last year I
      > didn't participate in the contest but I watched it and I remember
      the judge
      > making some pretty rude comments. He was really nice to our group
      when we
      > ran into him earlier in the day, but on the whole his comments were
      really
      > oft-putting.
      >
      > I did have a ton of fun at the con, though, even though it seems to
      have
      > gotten progressively smaller since I started going in 2002. I was
      (and am)
      > really happy with the overwhelmingly positive response to the
      costumes we
      > worked so hard on.
      >
      > - Alyson Rhodes
      >
      > On 5/2/07, fanky_malloon <jmail3@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't know if the judges were biased, but the presenter did
      appear
      > > to be. I don't think he was demeaning to anyone but a bit rude to
      the
      > > females. I don't think this was malice, just trying to be funny.
      It
      > > was not really funny though.
      > >
      > > As to the performances, I don't know where a line should be
      drawn. It
      > > was enjoyable to see cobra Commander screaming and very funny too,
      > > but things can get too drawn out like some of the group displays.
      > >
      > > I think the MC should say their names and stay out of it. I think
      the
      > > contestants should not really perfom (sadly too because most of it
      > > was great fun!).
      > > Otherwise I don't know that the judges did not recognize the
      > > characters, the MC might not have.
      > >
      > > I really don't think the acting had anything to do with the
      > > winners.
      > >
      > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com <pittscomicon%
      40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > and
      > > > he seems a little biased too.
      > > >
      > > > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
      > > comments,
      > > > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
      > > improvise
      > > > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his
      ego.
      > > He
      > > > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest"
      you
      > > > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
      > > > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_
      creates
      > > > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the
      characters,
      > > > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that,
      how
      > > on
      > > > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
      > > > performances?
      > > >
      > > > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume
      craftsmanship?
      > > > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers
      using
      > > > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-
      character,
      > > at
      > > > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
      > > advertise
      > > > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's
      their
      > > > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by
      separating:
      > > > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy,
      complexity,
      > > > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and
      character
      > > > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
      > > call
      > > > it a photo-shoot.

    • ja_glinka
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2 4:11 PM
        > I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I
        definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all
        worked really hard on our costumes.

        I'm not familiar with the Venture Brothers, though at this point I
        understand they're a pop-culture parody cartoon. Having seen you on
        Saturday and at the "Contest", the work you put into your costumes
        was obvious. Most everything looked hand-made, with the exception of
        standard clothing that had been selected for style-match. In
        addition, the group performance demonstrated self-parody, which I
        believe was basically "in-character" for the theme of your source
        material. I think it was easier to gauge effort and sketch ability
        amongst the groups. OTOH, I would've been interested to hear all the
        details you just gave during an on-stage show and tell.

        With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
        arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
        players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
        Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
        better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
        well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
        simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
        technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
        the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
        combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part. Performance
        really was a huge part of the grade, which leaves me wondering why
        Deadpool didn't get a nod.

        > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
        grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
        didnt sign up.

        Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
        The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
        character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
        "ham it up".

        I almost chose to abstain, as well. I've been in and observed art
        contests for quite a few years now and when the judges don't offer
        their credentials beyond "We're popular".... *shrugs* In addition, on
        a purely subjective level, interaction with the marshmallow puff-man
        on the Con floor earlier left me with an impression of unpleasant
        smug arrogance. Turned out he couldn't quite restrain his urge to
        upstage other cosplayers, as an MC. I almost walked out partway
        through the show, but we were there for the photos. Fortunately, most
        everyone seemed to have more fun posing before and after the official
        contest.
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2 5:00 PM
          In a message dated 5/2/2007 7:12:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
          > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
          grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
          didnt sign up.

          Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
          The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
          character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
          "ham it up".

          commando with goggles

          See what's free at AOL.com.
        • ja_glinka
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2 6:16 PM
            > commando with goggles

            Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
            the first one. It was a good costume.
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2 8:05 PM
              In a message dated 5/2/2007 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
              > commando with goggles

              Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
              the first one. It was a good costume.

              thanks, last year when i first walked in i was like eh no one is going to know who i am and i was surprised at how many people know who i was even from behind. this year i easily had twice the requests for pictures. its flattering to have that much attention for a costume i didnt think people knew who i was. i found myself alot of times smiling for the pictures and not realizing it till after and think to myself  "you idiot why did you smile they cant see your face"  lol  i even had an artist remember me from last year when i was in street clothes and say hey your wearing the snake eyes costume again this year right, bc i want a pic!  that blew me away.
              we all should go out in costume for halloween, tho i dont think many places will let me in with a sword and knives and some fake guns and grenades lol
              -bart

              See what's free at AOL.com.
            • Samantha
              Message 6 of 27 , May 8 9:06 AM
                > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

                First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                wanted if I would have won...

                Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
              • dlanning75
                Message 7 of 27 , May 8 11:18 AM
                  I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                  know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                  costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                  found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                  quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                  you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                  Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                  another fantastic design.

                  > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                  > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                  > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                  Cobra
                  > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                  > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                  > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                  if
                  > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                  > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                  Yet,
                  > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                  > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                  >
                  > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                  ^_^
                  > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                  > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                  > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                  prizes
                  > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                  > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                  that
                  > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                  > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                  > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                  stage
                  > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                  long
                  > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                  what I
                  > wanted if I would have won...
                  >
                  > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                  > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                • EEGAH316
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 9 10:59 AM
                    I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
                    great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
                    before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
                    exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
                    So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
                    Can't wait for the video!

                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <seramyuantics@...> wrote:

                    > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                    > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                    > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                    > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                    > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                    > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                    > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                    > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                    > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                    > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                    >
                    > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                    > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                    > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                    > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                    > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                    > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                    > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                    > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                    > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                    > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                    > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                    > wanted if I would have won...
                    >
                    > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                    > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                  • hobanagarak
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 10 10:30 AM
                      As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
                      the costume contest are up on their site.

                      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "dlanning75" <dlanning75@...> wrote:

                      > I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                      > know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                      > costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                      > found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                      > quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                      > you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                      > Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                      > another fantastic design.
                      > >

                      > > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                      > > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                      > > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                      > Cobra
                      > > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                      > > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                      > > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                      > if
                      > > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                      > > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                      > Yet,
                      > > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                      > > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                      > >
                      > > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                      > ^_^
                      > > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                      > > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                      > > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                      > prizes
                      > > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                      > > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                      > that
                      > > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                      > > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                      > > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                      > stage
                      > > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                      > long
                      > > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                      > what I
                      > > wanted if I would have won...
                      > >
                      > > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                      > > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                    • sillysully7
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 10 9:08 PM
                        Yes,

                        There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
                        done.
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 11 7:04 AM
                          Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                          its a good time too.

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 11 9:37 AM
                            In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
                            Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                            its a good time too.

                            i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

                            See what's free at AOL.com.
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 11 10:21 AM
                              aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 11 10:42 AM
                                Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                                bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                                completing this time around!

                                Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                                can't go wrong.

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 11 10:52 AM
                                  I couldnt agree more