Re: [pittscomicon] Suggestion

    Message 1 of 4 , May 2 12:03 PM
      In a message dated 5/2/2007 1:41:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dpk99@... writes:
      Hello everyone. I am the president of the Star Wars Association of
      Pittsburgh, and we have been thrilled to be part of the Comicon
      experience for the last couple of years. We thoroughly enjoy
      conducting different panels each day and having the chance to meet
      Star Wars guests like Peter Mayhew and Matthew Wood. It's great.

      Since suggestions were asked for, please allow me to add my two cents.

      The costume contest is always fun and I think it would be even better
      to divide things into more specific categories, as was suggested and
      done to some extent with the Star Wars category this year. Perhaps
      something like the following would be ideal:

      Childrens
      Comics
      Sci-Fi/Fantasy
      Anime/Manga
      Group

      That way, people who wear a Spiderman or Superman costume aren't
      competing against people dressed up as a Klingon or X-Wing pilot and
      aren't competing against Anime characters. Everyone would also feel as
      if he/she has a better chance to win his or her individual category.

      Thanks,
      Dan

      sounds good to me. i was kinda in silent protest of the contest this year. almost everyone who took a pic of my snake eyes costume asked if i was entering the contest and i said no. i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i didnt sign up, tho i did go and watch. a few weeks before the con i emailed them asking if the rules had changed from a rumor i heard trying to make it more fair. i got no response. i know they were busy and probly past the reading emails stage and partly my fault for not asking them sooner but i also regularly checked the web sight for updates and the costume page never seemed to get updated with the rules change.
      had i known before the contest was already underway i might have signed up as its good fun to get up on stage and goof around. oh well lessons learned next year i'll just go to the sign up table and ask i guess.
      -bart

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • Maya
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5 5:09 PM
        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kirk" <dpk99@...> wrote:
        >Dear Dan
        that's a great idea I think you should mail it in. Go for it
        I cann't wait to see if it works
        > Hello everyone. I am the president of the Star Wars Association of
        > Pittsburgh, and we have been thrilled to be part of the Comicon
        > experience for the last couple of years. We thoroughly enjoy
        > conducting different panels each day and having the chance to meet
        > Star Wars guests like Peter Mayhew and Matthew Wood. It's great.
        >
        > Since suggestions were asked for, please allow me to add my two
        cents.

        > The costume contest is always fun and I think it would be even
        better
        > to divide things into more specific categories, as was suggested and
        > done to some extent with the Star Wars category this year. Perhaps
        > something like the following would be ideal:
        >
        > Childrens
        > Comics
        > Sci-Fi/Fantasy
        > Anime/Manga
        > Group
        >
        > That way, people who wear a Spiderman or Superman costume aren't
        > competing against people dressed up as a Klingon or X-Wing pilot and
        > aren't competing against Anime characters. Everyone would also feel
        as
        > if he/she has a better chance to win his or her individual category.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dan

      • Samantha
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8 9:40 AM
          > The costume contest is always fun and I think it would be even better
          > to divide things into more specific categories, as was suggested and
          > done to some extent with the Star Wars category this year. Perhaps
          > something like the following would be ideal:
          >
          > Childrens
          > Comics
          > Sci-Fi/Fantasy
          > Anime/Manga
          > Group
          >
          > That way, people who wear a Spiderman or Superman costume aren't
          > competing against people dressed up as a Klingon or X-Wing pilot and
          > aren't competing against Anime characters. Everyone would also feel as
          > if he/she has a better chance to win his or her individual category.

          I agree there should be more categories now that the size of the
          costume contest is growing, but I don't know about having an
          anime/manga category. It's a comic book convention. Things like sci-fi
          and cartoons are generally accepted at comicons. Just like video games
          are also accepted at anime conventions. But there's no Star Wars
          category at anime cons because that's not who they're catering to.

          There aren't many cosplayers that attend Comicon anyway. Maybe have
          like a "Best Anime/Manga Costume Honorable Mention" but I don't think
          they should get a major award just because they're in the minority and
          have little competition.

          And before you go saying I'm hating on the anime and manga community,
          I AM part of the anime and manga community (been to at least 3 major
          anime cons a year for the past 5 years)

          Wow I hope that didn't sound bitchy or anything but that's just my
          opinion ^^; I have respect for the Comicon and the crowd they're
          trying to attract and if they can't even pronounce the character names
          (which I don't blame them) then they're obviously looking for a
          different crowd.

          (Oh, and you should add Video Games to the above categories ^^)