Re: the costume contest

  • fanky_malloon
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2007
      I don't know if the judges were biased, but the presenter did appear
      to be. I don't think he was demeaning to anyone but a bit rude to the
      females. I don't think this was malice, just trying to be funny. It
      was not really funny though.

      As to the performances, I don't know where a line should be drawn. It
      was enjoyable to see cobra Commander screaming and very funny too,
      but things can get too drawn out like some of the group displays.

      I think the MC should say their names and stay out of it. I think the
      contestants should not really perfom (sadly too because most of it
      was great fun!).
      Otherwise I don't know that the judges did not recognize the
      characters, the MC might not have.

      I really don't think the acting had anything to do with the
      winners.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ja_glinka" <ja_glinka@...>
      wrote:

      > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
      and
      > he seems a little biased too.
      >
      > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
      comments,
      > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
      improvise
      > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
      He
      > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
      > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
      > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
      > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
      > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
      on
      > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
      > performances?
      >
      > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
      > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
      > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
      at
      > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
      advertise
      > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
      > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
      > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
      > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
      > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
      call
      > it a photo-shoot.

    • Alyson Mae Rhodes
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2007
        Hi all.
        In response to the comments on the size of the winning group: I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all worked really hard on our costumes. Except for the spandex bodysuit, my boyfriend Jon made all of his Monarch costume - including the nose prosthetic, the beard and the eyebrows. The two of us were in his basement for hours on Saturday night reinforcing his chest armor with dental acrylic and latex. Julia scoured thrift stores making sure her Girl Hitler costume was exact, and she also sewed the jherkins (or however the hell it's spelled) and shorts for the henchmen. I know we were helped by strength in numbers, but we also worked on our costumes for months prior to the con and I'm just really happy everything turned out so well.

        I also thought the judge's comments towards the girl dressed as Psylocke were inappropriate, especially when I found out she was only 19. Last year I didn't participate in the contest but I watched it and I remember the judge making some pretty rude comments. He was really nice to our group when we ran into him earlier in the day, but on the whole his comments were really oft-putting.

        I did have a ton of fun at the con, though, even though it seems to have gotten progressively smaller since I started going in 2002. I was (and am) really happy with the overwhelmingly positive response to the costumes we worked so hard on.

        - Alyson Rhodes

        wrote:

        > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
        and
        > he seems a little biased too.
        >
        > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
        comments,
        > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
        improvise
        > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
        He
        > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
        > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
        > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
        > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
        > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
        on
        > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
        > performances?
        >
        > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
        > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
        > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
        at
        > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
        advertise
        > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
        > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
        > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
        > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
        > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
        call
        > it a photo-shoot.

      • fanky_malloon
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2, 2007
          BTW-The entire Venture Group was fantastic. The time you spent on
          those cotumes was obvious. I was hanging out on the side of the stage
          and saw one of The Monarch's darts that landed near us. Needless to
          say I was impressed that not only did he have working dart launchers,
          but they even had little butterflies on them (the darts). Great eye
          for detail.

          I shared the photos from this site with some friends and they were
          amazed.

          I think you all should find a good picture of you all and email that
          in to Adult Swim.

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Alyson Mae Rhodes"
          <kashira@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume
          craftsmanship?
          > > > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers
          using
          > > > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-
          character,
          > > at
          > > > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
          > > advertise
          > > > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's
          their
          > > > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by
          separating:
          > > > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy,
          complexity,
          > > > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and
          character
          > > > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply

        • ja_glinka
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2, 2007
            > I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I
            definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all
            worked really hard on our costumes.

            I'm not familiar with the Venture Brothers, though at this point I
            understand they're a pop-culture parody cartoon. Having seen you on
            Saturday and at the "Contest", the work you put into your costumes
            was obvious. Most everything looked hand-made, with the exception of
            standard clothing that had been selected for style-match. In
            addition, the group performance demonstrated self-parody, which I
            believe was basically "in-character" for the theme of your source
            material. I think it was easier to gauge effort and sketch ability
            amongst the groups. OTOH, I would've been interested to hear all the
            details you just gave during an on-stage show and tell.

            With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
            arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
            players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
            Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
            better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
            well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
            simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
            technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
            the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
            combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part. Performance
            really was a huge part of the grade, which leaves me wondering why
            Deadpool didn't get a nod.

            > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
            grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
            didnt sign up.

            Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
            The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
            character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
            "ham it up".

            I almost chose to abstain, as well. I've been in and observed art
            contests for quite a few years now and when the judges don't offer
            their credentials beyond "We're popular".... *shrugs* In addition, on
            a purely subjective level, interaction with the marshmallow puff-man
            on the Con floor earlier left me with an impression of unpleasant
            smug arrogance. Turned out he couldn't quite restrain his urge to
            upstage other cosplayers, as an MC. I almost walked out partway
            through the show, but we were there for the photos. Fortunately, most
            everyone seemed to have more fun posing before and after the official
            contest.
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2, 2007
              In a message dated 5/2/2007 7:12:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
              > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
              grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
              didnt sign up.

              Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
              The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
              character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
              "ham it up".

              commando with goggles

              See what's free at AOL.com.
            • ja_glinka
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                > commando with goggles

                Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
                the first one. It was a good costume.
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                  In a message dated 5/2/2007 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
                  > commando with goggles

                  Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
                  the first one. It was a good costume.

                  thanks, last year when i first walked in i was like eh no one is going to know who i am and i was surprised at how many people know who i was even from behind. this year i easily had twice the requests for pictures. its flattering to have that much attention for a costume i didnt think people knew who i was. i found myself alot of times smiling for the pictures and not realizing it till after and think to myself  "you idiot why did you smile they cant see your face"  lol  i even had an artist remember me from last year when i was in street clothes and say hey your wearing the snake eyes costume again this year right, bc i want a pic!  that blew me away.
                  we all should go out in costume for halloween, tho i dont think many places will let me in with a sword and knives and some fake guns and grenades lol
                  -bart

                  See what's free at AOL.com.
                • Samantha
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 8, 2007
                    > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                    > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                    > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                    > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                    > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                    > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                    > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                    > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                    > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                    > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

                    First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                    It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                    right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                    makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                    to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                    correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                    had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                    presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                    That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                    anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                    as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                    wanted if I would have won...

                    Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                    of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
                  • dlanning75
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 8, 2007
                      I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                      know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                      costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                      found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                      quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                      you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                      Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                      another fantastic design.

                      > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                      > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                      > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                      Cobra
                      > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                      > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                      > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                      if
                      > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                      > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                      Yet,
                      > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                      > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                      >
                      > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                      ^_^
                      > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                      > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                      > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                      prizes
                      > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                      > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                      that
                      > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                      > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                      > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                      stage
                      > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                      long
                      > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                      what I
                      > wanted if I would have won...
                      >
                      > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                      > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                    • EEGAH316
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 9, 2007
                        I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
                        great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
                        before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
                        exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
                        So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
                        Can't wait for the video!

                        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <seramyuantics@...> wrote:

                        > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                        > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                        > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                        > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                        > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                        > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                        > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                        > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                        > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                        > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                        >
                        > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                        > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                        > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                        > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                        > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                        > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                        > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                        > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                        > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                        > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                        > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                        > wanted if I would have won...
                        >
                        > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                        > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                      • hobanagarak
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                          As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
                          the costume contest are up on their site.

                          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "dlanning75" <dlanning75@...> wrote:

                          > I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                          > know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                          > costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                          > found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                          > quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                          > you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                          > Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                          > another fantastic design.
                          > >

                          > > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                          > > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                          > > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                          > Cobra
                          > > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                          > > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                          > > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                          > if
                          > > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                          > > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                          > Yet,
                          > > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                          > > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                          > >
                          > > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                          > ^_^
                          > > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                          > > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                          > > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                          > prizes
                          > > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                          > > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                          > that
                          > > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                          > > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                          > > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                          > stage
                          > > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                          > long
                          > > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                          > what I
                          > > wanted if I would have won...
                          > >
                          > > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                          > > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                        • sillysully7
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                            Yes,

                            There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
                            done.
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                              Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                              its a good time too.

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
                                Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                                its a good time too.

                                i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

                                See what's free at AOL.com.
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                  aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                    Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                                    bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                                    completing this time around!

                                    Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                                    can't go wrong.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                      I couldnt agree more