Re: the costume contest

  • ja_glinka
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1 1:54 PM
      > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line, and
      he seems a little biased too.

      A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist comments,
      as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should improvise
      with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego. He
      made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
      could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
      judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
      an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
      couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how on
      earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
      performances?

      Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
      The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
      characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character, at
      an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to advertise
      the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
      business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
      judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
      refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
      sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply call
      it a photo-shoot.
    • sillysully7
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1 2:20 PM
        I understand that there are people who show up in costumes from Anime
        or manga and the judges don't know how to pronounce their name, let
        alone who they are. That being said, perhaps an Anime/Magna category
        would help things, like with the star wars category? And your point
        about costume work over character is valid, perhaps a best skit
        category as well? And I'm not dogging on the winners, but they had at
        least 8 or 9 people, its hard to compete with stage presence like that.
        Although, I assume the prize being split 8 ways is something to
        consider. Who did you guys like?
      • ja_glinka
        Message 3 of 27 , May 1 3:10 PM
          Once the cosplayers increase in number, categories are incredibly
          important, if for no other reason than to acknowledge the very good
          costumes done in different styles. For instance, Trek and SW fans
          have a strong tradition of organized costuming and a hyper-realistic
          style. TV shows in general follow this pattern. The detailing of
          their artwork often out-shines the average Superhero, where the
          reference material is often stylized. In Anime/Manga, the stylization
          increases, to the point of bizarre, but that's _normal_ for the
          genre. Balanced abstraction is more important for a manga costume
          than realism.

          It's like trying to pit Naturalism vs Impressionism vs Avante Garde
          and saying which is "best", when they need to be acknowledged for
          having different goals. This is where it's important to have a varied
          panel of judges, with different fandom backgrounds. Then you have
          people who don't necessarily have the best costumes, but have a
          strong flair for the dramatic and make up for technical failings
          through sheer force of personality. That's art too: Drama. In this
          area, crowd response is usually the best judge.

          Cosplayers more focused on technical craftsmanship generally would
          rather explain what materials they used, the reference material, how
          long it took, who helped, where they found patterns or created their
          own, etc. Allow the crowd to call out pose requests and the
          photography becomes its own reward. Give people options in how they
          can show off.

          And don't let the guy in the superman t-shirt stand in the middle of
          the stage like that; he messes up the background. A lighter back drop
          would allow for better photography, though I don't know how much
          control the organizers have over that.
        • acroraya30x
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2 9:03 AM
            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ja_glinka" <ja_glinka@...> wrote:

            > A lighter back drop
            > would allow for better photography, though I don't know how much
            > control the organizers have over that.

            I agree. Perhaps they could ask for some light blue pipe-and-drape
            (like what is used out in the dealer/guest floor) be installed rear
            center stage.

            Although the shotgun mic mounted center stage was an excellent idea
            this year. Much more effective that last year, IIRC.

            - AcroRay
          • fanky_malloon
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2 11:03 AM
              I really liked the Zombie Cheerleader, the Venture Brothers and Cobra
              Commander. I also liked the Sith Lord (whose name escapes me) and Snake-
              Eyes, even though they did not compete.

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "sillysully7" <sillysully7@...>

              Message 6 of 27 , May 2 11:11 AM
                I don't know if the judges were biased, but the presenter did appear
                to be. I don't think he was demeaning to anyone but a bit rude to the
                females. I don't think this was malice, just trying to be funny. It
                was not really funny though.

                As to the performances, I don't know where a line should be drawn. It
                was enjoyable to see cobra Commander screaming and very funny too,
                but things can get too drawn out like some of the group displays.

                I think the MC should say their names and stay out of it. I think the
                contestants should not really perfom (sadly too because most of it
                was great fun!).
                Otherwise I don't know that the judges did not recognize the
                characters, the MC might not have.

                I really don't think the acting had anything to do with the
                winners.

                wrote:

                > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
                and
                > he seems a little biased too.
                >
                > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
                comments,
                > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
                improvise
                > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
                He
                > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
                > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
                > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
                > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
                > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
                on
                > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
                > performances?
                >
                > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
                > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
                > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
                at
                > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                advertise
                > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
                > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
                > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
                > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
                > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
                call
                > it a photo-shoot.

              • Alyson Mae Rhodes
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2 11:46 AM
                  Hi all.
                  In response to the comments on the size of the winning group: I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all worked really hard on our costumes. Except for the spandex bodysuit, my boyfriend Jon made all of his Monarch costume - including the nose prosthetic, the beard and the eyebrows. The two of us were in his basement for hours on Saturday night reinforcing his chest armor with dental acrylic and latex. Julia scoured thrift stores making sure her Girl Hitler costume was exact, and she also sewed the jherkins (or however the hell it's spelled) and shorts for the henchmen. I know we were helped by strength in numbers, but we also worked on our costumes for months prior to the con and I'm just really happy everything turned out so well.

                  I also thought the judge's comments towards the girl dressed as Psylocke were inappropriate, especially when I found out she was only 19. Last year I didn't participate in the contest but I watched it and I remember the judge making some pretty rude comments. He was really nice to our group when we ran into him earlier in the day, but on the whole his comments were really oft-putting.

                  I did have a ton of fun at the con, though, even though it seems to have gotten progressively smaller since I started going in 2002. I was (and am) really happy with the overwhelmingly positive response to the costumes we worked so hard on.

                  - Alyson Rhodes

                  wrote:

                  > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
                  and
                  > he seems a little biased too.
                  >
                  > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
                  comments,
                  > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
                  improvise
                  > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
                  He
                  > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
                  > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
                  > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
                  > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
                  > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
                  on
                  > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
                  > performances?
                  >
                  > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
                  > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
                  > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
                  at
                  > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                  advertise
                  > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
                  > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
                  > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
                  > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
                  > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
                  call
                  > it a photo-shoot.

                • fanky_malloon
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 2 12:57 PM
                    BTW-The entire Venture Group was fantastic. The time you spent on
                    those cotumes was obvious. I was hanging out on the side of the stage
                    and saw one of The Monarch's darts that landed near us. Needless to
                    say I was impressed that not only did he have working dart launchers,
                    but they even had little butterflies on them (the darts). Great eye
                    for detail.

                    I shared the photos from this site with some friends and they were
                    amazed.

                    I think you all should find a good picture of you all and email that
                    in to Adult Swim.

                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Alyson Mae Rhodes"
                    <kashira@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > >
                    > > > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume
                    craftsmanship?
                    > > > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers
                    using
                    > > > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-
                    character,
                    > > at
                    > > > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                    > > advertise
                    > > > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's
                    their
                    > > > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by
                    separating:
                    > > > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy,
                    complexity,
                    > > > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and
                    character
                    > > > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply

                  • ja_glinka
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2 4:11 PM
                      > I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I
                      definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all
                      worked really hard on our costumes.

                      I'm not familiar with the Venture Brothers, though at this point I
                      understand they're a pop-culture parody cartoon. Having seen you on
                      Saturday and at the "Contest", the work you put into your costumes
                      was obvious. Most everything looked hand-made, with the exception of
                      standard clothing that had been selected for style-match. In
                      addition, the group performance demonstrated self-parody, which I
                      believe was basically "in-character" for the theme of your source
                      material. I think it was easier to gauge effort and sketch ability
                      amongst the groups. OTOH, I would've been interested to hear all the
                      details you just gave during an on-stage show and tell.

                      With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                      arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                      players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                      Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                      better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                      well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                      simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                      technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                      the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                      combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part. Performance
                      really was a huge part of the grade, which leaves me wondering why
                      Deadpool didn't get a nod.

                      > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
                      grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
                      didnt sign up.

                      Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
                      The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
                      character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
                      "ham it up".

                      I almost chose to abstain, as well. I've been in and observed art
                      contests for quite a few years now and when the judges don't offer
                      their credentials beyond "We're popular".... *shrugs* In addition, on
                      a purely subjective level, interaction with the marshmallow puff-man
                      on the Con floor earlier left me with an impression of unpleasant
                      smug arrogance. Turned out he couldn't quite restrain his urge to
                      upstage other cosplayers, as an MC. I almost walked out partway
                      through the show, but we were there for the photos. Fortunately, most
                      everyone seemed to have more fun posing before and after the official
                      contest.
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2 5:00 PM
                        In a message dated 5/2/2007 7:12:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
                        > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
                        grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
                        didnt sign up.

                        Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
                        The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
                        character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
                        "ham it up".

                        commando with goggles

                        See what's free at AOL.com.
                      • ja_glinka
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 2 6:16 PM
                          > commando with goggles

                          Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
                          the first one. It was a good costume.
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 2 8:05 PM
                            In a message dated 5/2/2007 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
                            > commando with goggles

                            Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
                            the first one. It was a good costume.

                            thanks, last year when i first walked in i was like eh no one is going to know who i am and i was surprised at how many people know who i was even from behind. this year i easily had twice the requests for pictures. its flattering to have that much attention for a costume i didnt think people knew who i was. i found myself alot of times smiling for the pictures and not realizing it till after and think to myself  "you idiot why did you smile they cant see your face"  lol  i even had an artist remember me from last year when i was in street clothes and say hey your wearing the snake eyes costume again this year right, bc i want a pic!  that blew me away.
                            we all should go out in costume for halloween, tho i dont think many places will let me in with a sword and knives and some fake guns and grenades lol
                            -bart

                            See what's free at AOL.com.
                          • Samantha
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 8 9:06 AM
                              > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                              > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                              > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                              > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                              > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                              > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                              > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                              > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                              > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                              > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

                              First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                              It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                              right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                              makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                              to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                              correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                              had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                              presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                              That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                              anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                              as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                              wanted if I would have won...

                              Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                              of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
                            • dlanning75
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 8 11:18 AM
                                I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                                know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                                costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                                found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                                quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                                you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                                Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                                another fantastic design.

                                > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                                > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                                > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                                Cobra
                                > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                                > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                                > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                                if
                                > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                                > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                                Yet,
                                > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                                > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                                >
                                > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                                ^_^
                                > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                                > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                                > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                                prizes
                                > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                                > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                                that
                                > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                                > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                                > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                                stage
                                > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                                long
                                > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                                what I
                                > wanted if I would have won...
                                >
                                > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                                > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                              • EEGAH316
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 9 10:59 AM
                                  I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
                                  great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
                                  before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
                                  exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
                                  So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
                                  Can't wait for the video!

                                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <seramyuantics@...> wrote:

                                  > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                                  > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                                  > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                                  > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                                  > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                                  > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                                  > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                                  > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                                  > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                                  > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                                  >
                                  > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                                  > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                                  > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                                  > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                                  > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                                  > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                                  > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                                  > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                                  > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                                  > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                                  > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                                  > wanted if I would have won...
                                  >
                                  > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                                  > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                                • hobanagarak
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 10 10:30 AM
                                    As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
                                    the costume contest are up on their site.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 10 9:08 PM
                                      Yes,

                                      There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
                                      done.
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 11 7:04 AM
                                        Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                                        its a good time too.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 11 9:37 AM
                                          In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
                                          Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                                          its a good time too.

                                          i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

                                          See what's free at AOL.com.
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 11 10:21 AM
                                            aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 11 10:42 AM
                                              Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                                              bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                                              completing this time around!

                                              Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                                              can't go wrong.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 11 10:52 AM
                                                I couldnt agree more