Re: the costume contest

  • sillysully7
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 30, 2007
      I must say, I found the judge's comments to be pretty uncalled for
      regarding girls at least half his age. Maybe next year we can get a
      different judge? Perhaps a WOMAN?
    • divinedelphi00
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1 12:48 PM
        I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line, and he
        seems a little biased too. A different MC would definitely be nice,
        and perhaps more judges? Though I did like the new categories for
        star wars and groups, maybe there should be one for best sketch too? I
        thought these things were based off not only the judges opinions but
        the audiences approval as well...

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "sillysully7" <sillysully7@...>
        wrote:

        > I must say, I found the judge's comments to be pretty uncalled for
        > regarding girls at least half his age. Maybe next year we can get a
        > different judge? Perhaps a WOMAN?

      • ja_glinka
        Message 3 of 27 , May 1 1:54 PM
          > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line, and
          he seems a little biased too.

          A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist comments,
          as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should improvise
          with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego. He
          made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
          could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
          judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
          an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
          couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how on
          earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
          performances?

          Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
          The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
          characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character, at
          an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to advertise
          the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
          business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
          judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
          refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
          sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply call
          it a photo-shoot.
        • sillysully7
          Message 4 of 27 , May 1 2:20 PM
            I understand that there are people who show up in costumes from Anime
            or manga and the judges don't know how to pronounce their name, let
            alone who they are. That being said, perhaps an Anime/Magna category
            would help things, like with the star wars category? And your point
            about costume work over character is valid, perhaps a best skit
            category as well? And I'm not dogging on the winners, but they had at
            least 8 or 9 people, its hard to compete with stage presence like that.
            Although, I assume the prize being split 8 ways is something to
            consider. Who did you guys like?
          • ja_glinka
            Message 5 of 27 , May 1 3:10 PM
              Once the cosplayers increase in number, categories are incredibly
              important, if for no other reason than to acknowledge the very good
              costumes done in different styles. For instance, Trek and SW fans
              have a strong tradition of organized costuming and a hyper-realistic
              style. TV shows in general follow this pattern. The detailing of
              their artwork often out-shines the average Superhero, where the
              reference material is often stylized. In Anime/Manga, the stylization
              increases, to the point of bizarre, but that's _normal_ for the
              genre. Balanced abstraction is more important for a manga costume
              than realism.

              It's like trying to pit Naturalism vs Impressionism vs Avante Garde
              and saying which is "best", when they need to be acknowledged for
              having different goals. This is where it's important to have a varied
              panel of judges, with different fandom backgrounds. Then you have
              people who don't necessarily have the best costumes, but have a
              strong flair for the dramatic and make up for technical failings
              through sheer force of personality. That's art too: Drama. In this
              area, crowd response is usually the best judge.

              Cosplayers more focused on technical craftsmanship generally would
              rather explain what materials they used, the reference material, how
              long it took, who helped, where they found patterns or created their
              own, etc. Allow the crowd to call out pose requests and the
              photography becomes its own reward. Give people options in how they
              can show off.

              And don't let the guy in the superman t-shirt stand in the middle of
              the stage like that; he messes up the background. A lighter back drop
              would allow for better photography, though I don't know how much
              control the organizers have over that.
            • acroraya30x
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2 9:03 AM
                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ja_glinka" <ja_glinka@...> wrote:

                > A lighter back drop
                > would allow for better photography, though I don't know how much
                > control the organizers have over that.

                I agree. Perhaps they could ask for some light blue pipe-and-drape
                (like what is used out in the dealer/guest floor) be installed rear
                center stage.

                Although the shotgun mic mounted center stage was an excellent idea
                this year. Much more effective that last year, IIRC.

                - AcroRay
              • fanky_malloon
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2 11:03 AM
                  I really liked the Zombie Cheerleader, the Venture Brothers and Cobra
                  Commander. I also liked the Sith Lord (whose name escapes me) and Snake-
                  Eyes, even though they did not compete.

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 2 11:11 AM
                    I don't know if the judges were biased, but the presenter did appear
                    to be. I don't think he was demeaning to anyone but a bit rude to the
                    females. I don't think this was malice, just trying to be funny. It
                    was not really funny though.

                    As to the performances, I don't know where a line should be drawn. It
                    was enjoyable to see cobra Commander screaming and very funny too,
                    but things can get too drawn out like some of the group displays.

                    I think the MC should say their names and stay out of it. I think the
                    contestants should not really perfom (sadly too because most of it
                    was great fun!).
                    Otherwise I don't know that the judges did not recognize the
                    characters, the MC might not have.

                    I really don't think the acting had anything to do with the
                    winners.

                    wrote:

                    > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
                    and
                    > he seems a little biased too.
                    >
                    > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
                    comments,
                    > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
                    improvise
                    > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
                    He
                    > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
                    > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
                    > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
                    > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
                    > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
                    on
                    > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
                    > performances?
                    >
                    > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
                    > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
                    > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
                    at
                    > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                    advertise
                    > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
                    > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
                    > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
                    > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
                    > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
                    call
                    > it a photo-shoot.

                  • Alyson Mae Rhodes
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2 11:46 AM
                      Hi all.
                      In response to the comments on the size of the winning group: I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all worked really hard on our costumes. Except for the spandex bodysuit, my boyfriend Jon made all of his Monarch costume - including the nose prosthetic, the beard and the eyebrows. The two of us were in his basement for hours on Saturday night reinforcing his chest armor with dental acrylic and latex. Julia scoured thrift stores making sure her Girl Hitler costume was exact, and she also sewed the jherkins (or however the hell it's spelled) and shorts for the henchmen. I know we were helped by strength in numbers, but we also worked on our costumes for months prior to the con and I'm just really happy everything turned out so well.

                      I also thought the judge's comments towards the girl dressed as Psylocke were inappropriate, especially when I found out she was only 19. Last year I didn't participate in the contest but I watched it and I remember the judge making some pretty rude comments. He was really nice to our group when we ran into him earlier in the day, but on the whole his comments were really oft-putting.

                      I did have a ton of fun at the con, though, even though it seems to have gotten progressively smaller since I started going in 2002. I was (and am) really happy with the overwhelmingly positive response to the costumes we worked so hard on.

                      - Alyson Rhodes

                      wrote:

                      > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
                      and
                      > he seems a little biased too.
                      >
                      > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
                      comments,
                      > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
                      improvise
                      > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
                      He
                      > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
                      > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
                      > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
                      > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
                      > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
                      on
                      > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
                      > performances?
                      >
                      > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
                      > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
                      > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
                      at
                      > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                      advertise
                      > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
                      > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
                      > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
                      > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
                      > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
                      call
                      > it a photo-shoot.

                    • fanky_malloon
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2 12:57 PM
                        BTW-The entire Venture Group was fantastic. The time you spent on
                        those cotumes was obvious. I was hanging out on the side of the stage
                        and saw one of The Monarch's darts that landed near us. Needless to
                        say I was impressed that not only did he have working dart launchers,
                        but they even had little butterflies on them (the darts). Great eye
                        for detail.

                        I shared the photos from this site with some friends and they were
                        amazed.

                        I think you all should find a good picture of you all and email that
                        in to Adult Swim.

                        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Alyson Mae Rhodes"
                        <kashira@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > >
                        > > > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume
                        craftsmanship?
                        > > > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers
                        using
                        > > > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-
                        character,
                        > > at
                        > > > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                        > > advertise
                        > > > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's
                        their
                        > > > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by
                        separating:
                        > > > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy,
                        complexity,
                        > > > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and
                        character
                        > > > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply

                      • ja_glinka
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 2 4:11 PM
                          > I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I
                          definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all
                          worked really hard on our costumes.

                          I'm not familiar with the Venture Brothers, though at this point I
                          understand they're a pop-culture parody cartoon. Having seen you on
                          Saturday and at the "Contest", the work you put into your costumes
                          was obvious. Most everything looked hand-made, with the exception of
                          standard clothing that had been selected for style-match. In
                          addition, the group performance demonstrated self-parody, which I
                          believe was basically "in-character" for the theme of your source
                          material. I think it was easier to gauge effort and sketch ability
                          amongst the groups. OTOH, I would've been interested to hear all the
                          details you just gave during an on-stage show and tell.

                          With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                          arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                          players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                          Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                          better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                          well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                          simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                          technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                          the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                          combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part. Performance
                          really was a huge part of the grade, which leaves me wondering why
                          Deadpool didn't get a nod.

                          > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
                          grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
                          didnt sign up.

                          Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
                          The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
                          character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
                          "ham it up".

                          I almost chose to abstain, as well. I've been in and observed art
                          contests for quite a few years now and when the judges don't offer
                          their credentials beyond "We're popular".... *shrugs* In addition, on
                          a purely subjective level, interaction with the marshmallow puff-man
                          on the Con floor earlier left me with an impression of unpleasant
                          smug arrogance. Turned out he couldn't quite restrain his urge to
                          upstage other cosplayers, as an MC. I almost walked out partway
                          through the show, but we were there for the photos. Fortunately, most
                          everyone seemed to have more fun posing before and after the official
                          contest.
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 2 5:00 PM
                            In a message dated 5/2/2007 7:12:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
                            > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
                            grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
                            didnt sign up.

                            Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
                            The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
                            character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
                            "ham it up".

                            commando with goggles

                            See what's free at AOL.com.
                          • ja_glinka
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 2 6:16 PM
                              > commando with goggles

                              Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
                              the first one. It was a good costume.
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 2 8:05 PM
                                In a message dated 5/2/2007 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
                                > commando with goggles

                                Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
                                the first one. It was a good costume.

                                thanks, last year when i first walked in i was like eh no one is going to know who i am and i was surprised at how many people know who i was even from behind. this year i easily had twice the requests for pictures. its flattering to have that much attention for a costume i didnt think people knew who i was. i found myself alot of times smiling for the pictures and not realizing it till after and think to myself  "you idiot why did you smile they cant see your face"  lol  i even had an artist remember me from last year when i was in street clothes and say hey your wearing the snake eyes costume again this year right, bc i want a pic!  that blew me away.
                                we all should go out in costume for halloween, tho i dont think many places will let me in with a sword and knives and some fake guns and grenades lol
                                -bart

                                See what's free at AOL.com.
                              • Samantha
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 8 9:06 AM
                                  > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                                  > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                                  > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                                  > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                                  > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                                  > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                                  > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                                  > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                                  > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                                  > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

                                  First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                                  It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                                  right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                                  makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                                  to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                                  correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                                  had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                                  presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                                  That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                                  anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                                  as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                                  wanted if I would have won...

                                  Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                                  of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
                                • dlanning75
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 8 11:18 AM
                                    I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                                    know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                                    costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                                    found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                                    quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                                    you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                                    Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                                    another fantastic design.

                                    > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                                    > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                                    > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                                    Cobra
                                    > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                                    > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                                    > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                                    if
                                    > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                                    > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                                    Yet,
                                    > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                                    > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                                    >
                                    > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                                    ^_^
                                    > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                                    > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                                    > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                                    prizes
                                    > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                                    > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                                    that
                                    > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                                    > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                                    > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                                    stage
                                    > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                                    long
                                    > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                                    what I
                                    > wanted if I would have won...
                                    >
                                    > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                                    > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                                  • EEGAH316
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 9 10:59 AM
                                      I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
                                      great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
                                      before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
                                      exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
                                      So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
                                      Can't wait for the video!

                                      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <seramyuantics@...> wrote:

                                      > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                                      > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                                      > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                                      > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                                      > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                                      > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                                      > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                                      > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                                      > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                                      > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                                      >
                                      > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                                      > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                                      > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                                      > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                                      > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                                      > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                                      > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                                      > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                                      > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                                      > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                                      > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                                      > wanted if I would have won...
                                      >
                                      > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                                      > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                                    • hobanagarak
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 10 10:30 AM
                                        As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
                                        the costume contest are up on their site.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 10 9:08 PM
                                          Yes,

                                          There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
                                          done.
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 11 7:04 AM
                                            Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                                            its a good time too.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 11 9:37 AM
                                              In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
                                              Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                                              its a good time too.

                                              i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

                                              See what's free at AOL.com.
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 11 10:21 AM
                                                aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 11 10:42 AM
                                                  Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                                                  bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                                                  completing this time around!

                                                  Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                                                  can't go wrong.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 11 10:52 AM
                                                    I couldnt agree more