Re: the costume contest

  • hobanagarak
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 29, 2007
      Definitely had a better time Sunday than Saturday. Had a great time at
      the costume contest even though I didn't enter, (I was Darth Nihilus,
      more on that later.) Fantastic effort from all the participants. Now
      this may seem like an odd question, but did they have the new rules
      posted in the showroom anywhere?

      So the registration thing was more of my own fault, as I was operating
      without my usual glasses. However, before the contest, the fellow in
      the orange Star Wars pilot costume told me I should enter in the
      contest for the Star Wars category. I wasn't aware there was one. I
      walked over to the registration desk, and to my dismay discovered I
      couldn't read the forms in the slightest through my masks (again, my
      fault). I asked Captain Punisher if there was a Star Wars category,
      and he pauses and tells me there was a "Star Wars Prize." I finally
      decided against registering at that. So yeah, the pilot fellow won
      "Best Star Wars Costume" and, um, ah well.

      > In a message dated 4/29/2007 4:25:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > fuko_chan@... writes:
      >
      > I must say I was impressed they did make an effort to make it a bit
      > better this year. Having a separate groups category, a Star Wars
      > category, and more judges was definitely all good. I'd like to see a
      > judge that knew something about anime/manga and maybe another few
      > categories added down the road. And I still think the announcer should
      > be a bit nicer with his comments, especially those in regards to the
      > girls wearing the more revealing costumes, but ah well. And having the
      > contestants enter from back stage to make revealing their costumes to
      > the audience more exciting would be nice. Overall very happy they did
      > listen to some of our suggestions at least ^_^
      >

      > i'm pleased there were changes in the rules. i've checked the web
      sight and
      > emailed them asking if their were and they never emailed me back.
      had i known
      > they changed the rules i might have gotten in the contest this year.
      either way
      > i went and watched and was blown away the costumes! some really good
      stuff
      > out there!! mine wasnt much different then last year but i think my
      vision is a
      > bit screwed up from all the flashes i suffered having pics taken
      lol but hey
      > i had a blast dressing up!
      > if anyone has any pics of me in costume <snake eyes> could ya email
      me them?
      > i'd love to have some, stupid me forgot my camera today.
      > yeah some of his comments i found in bad taste. especially when they
      were
      > towards girls 1/2 his age. i know they were made in jest but still
      some respect
      > should be had. all in all tho i thought the contest went well and a
      few of our
      > group members won!!
      > it was nice to meet alot of yens today, thanks for making the con a
      fun place
      > to hang out
      > -bart

      http://www.aol.com

    • sillysully7
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 30, 2007
        I must say, I found the judge's comments to be pretty uncalled for
        regarding girls at least half his age. Maybe next year we can get a
        different judge? Perhaps a WOMAN?
      • divinedelphi00
        Message 3 of 27 , May 1, 2007
          I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line, and he
          seems a little biased too. A different MC would definitely be nice,
          and perhaps more judges? Though I did like the new categories for
          star wars and groups, maybe there should be one for best sketch too? I
          thought these things were based off not only the judges opinions but
          the audiences approval as well...

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "sillysully7" <sillysully7@...>
          wrote:

          > I must say, I found the judge's comments to be pretty uncalled for
          > regarding girls at least half his age. Maybe next year we can get a
          > different judge? Perhaps a WOMAN?

        • ja_glinka
          Message 4 of 27 , May 1, 2007
            > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line, and
            he seems a little biased too.

            A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist comments,
            as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should improvise
            with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego. He
            made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
            could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
            judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
            an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
            couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how on
            earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
            performances?

            Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
            The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
            characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character, at
            an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to advertise
            the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
            business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
            judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
            refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
            sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply call
            it a photo-shoot.
          • sillysully7
            Message 5 of 27 , May 1, 2007
              I understand that there are people who show up in costumes from Anime
              or manga and the judges don't know how to pronounce their name, let
              alone who they are. That being said, perhaps an Anime/Magna category
              would help things, like with the star wars category? And your point
              about costume work over character is valid, perhaps a best skit
              category as well? And I'm not dogging on the winners, but they had at
              least 8 or 9 people, its hard to compete with stage presence like that.
              Although, I assume the prize being split 8 ways is something to
              consider. Who did you guys like?
            • ja_glinka
              Message 6 of 27 , May 1, 2007
                Once the cosplayers increase in number, categories are incredibly
                important, if for no other reason than to acknowledge the very good
                costumes done in different styles. For instance, Trek and SW fans
                have a strong tradition of organized costuming and a hyper-realistic
                style. TV shows in general follow this pattern. The detailing of
                their artwork often out-shines the average Superhero, where the
                reference material is often stylized. In Anime/Manga, the stylization
                increases, to the point of bizarre, but that's _normal_ for the
                genre. Balanced abstraction is more important for a manga costume
                than realism.

                It's like trying to pit Naturalism vs Impressionism vs Avante Garde
                and saying which is "best", when they need to be acknowledged for
                having different goals. This is where it's important to have a varied
                panel of judges, with different fandom backgrounds. Then you have
                people who don't necessarily have the best costumes, but have a
                strong flair for the dramatic and make up for technical failings
                through sheer force of personality. That's art too: Drama. In this
                area, crowd response is usually the best judge.

                Cosplayers more focused on technical craftsmanship generally would
                rather explain what materials they used, the reference material, how
                long it took, who helped, where they found patterns or created their
                own, etc. Allow the crowd to call out pose requests and the
                photography becomes its own reward. Give people options in how they
                can show off.

                And don't let the guy in the superman t-shirt stand in the middle of
                the stage like that; he messes up the background. A lighter back drop
                would allow for better photography, though I don't know how much
                control the organizers have over that.
              • acroraya30x
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ja_glinka" <ja_glinka@...> wrote:

                  > A lighter back drop
                  > would allow for better photography, though I don't know how much
                  > control the organizers have over that.

                  I agree. Perhaps they could ask for some light blue pipe-and-drape
                  (like what is used out in the dealer/guest floor) be installed rear
                  center stage.

                  Although the shotgun mic mounted center stage was an excellent idea
                  this year. Much more effective that last year, IIRC.

                  - AcroRay
                • fanky_malloon
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                    I really liked the Zombie Cheerleader, the Venture Brothers and Cobra
                    Commander. I also liked the Sith Lord (whose name escapes me) and Snake-
                    Eyes, even though they did not compete.

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                      I don't know if the judges were biased, but the presenter did appear
                      to be. I don't think he was demeaning to anyone but a bit rude to the
                      females. I don't think this was malice, just trying to be funny. It
                      was not really funny though.

                      As to the performances, I don't know where a line should be drawn. It
                      was enjoyable to see cobra Commander screaming and very funny too,
                      but things can get too drawn out like some of the group displays.

                      I think the MC should say their names and stay out of it. I think the
                      contestants should not really perfom (sadly too because most of it
                      was great fun!).
                      Otherwise I don't know that the judges did not recognize the
                      characters, the MC might not have.

                      I really don't think the acting had anything to do with the
                      winners.

                      wrote:

                      > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
                      and
                      > he seems a little biased too.
                      >
                      > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
                      comments,
                      > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
                      improvise
                      > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
                      He
                      > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
                      > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
                      > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
                      > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
                      > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
                      on
                      > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
                      > performances?
                      >
                      > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
                      > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
                      > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
                      at
                      > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                      advertise
                      > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
                      > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
                      > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
                      > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
                      > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
                      call
                      > it a photo-shoot.

                    • Alyson Mae Rhodes
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                        Hi all.
                        In response to the comments on the size of the winning group: I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all worked really hard on our costumes. Except for the spandex bodysuit, my boyfriend Jon made all of his Monarch costume - including the nose prosthetic, the beard and the eyebrows. The two of us were in his basement for hours on Saturday night reinforcing his chest armor with dental acrylic and latex. Julia scoured thrift stores making sure her Girl Hitler costume was exact, and she also sewed the jherkins (or however the hell it's spelled) and shorts for the henchmen. I know we were helped by strength in numbers, but we also worked on our costumes for months prior to the con and I'm just really happy everything turned out so well.

                        I also thought the judge's comments towards the girl dressed as Psylocke were inappropriate, especially when I found out she was only 19. Last year I didn't participate in the contest but I watched it and I remember the judge making some pretty rude comments. He was really nice to our group when we ran into him earlier in the day, but on the whole his comments were really oft-putting.

                        I did have a ton of fun at the con, though, even though it seems to have gotten progressively smaller since I started going in 2002. I was (and am) really happy with the overwhelmingly positive response to the costumes we worked so hard on.

                        - Alyson Rhodes

                        wrote:

                        > > I totally agree, for the most part he's completely out of line,
                        and
                        > he seems a little biased too.
                        >
                        > A little bit biased? The man made several demeaning, sexist
                        comments,
                        > as well as _upstaging_ several performances. A host should
                        improvise
                        > with rather than against the featured player, restraining his ego.
                        He
                        > made many underhanded jabs, and toward the end of the "contest" you
                        > could see the hangdog attitude developing among the players. The
                        > judges were buddies with the same aesthetic, which _always_ creates
                        > an unbalanced panel. They didn't recognize many of the characters,
                        > couldn't pronounce their names and if they can't do even that, how
                        on
                        > earth could they be judging the accuracy of the costumes or
                        > performances?
                        >
                        > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume craftsmanship?
                        > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers using
                        > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-character,
                        at
                        > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                        advertise
                        > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's their
                        > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by separating:
                        > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy, complexity,
                        > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and character
                        > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply
                        call
                        > it a photo-shoot.

                      • fanky_malloon
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                          BTW-The entire Venture Group was fantastic. The time you spent on
                          those cotumes was obvious. I was hanging out on the side of the stage
                          and saw one of The Monarch's darts that landed near us. Needless to
                          say I was impressed that not only did he have working dart launchers,
                          but they even had little butterflies on them (the darts). Great eye
                          for detail.

                          I shared the photos from this site with some friends and they were
                          amazed.

                          I think you all should find a good picture of you all and email that
                          in to Adult Swim.

                          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Alyson Mae Rhodes"
                          <kashira@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > >
                          > > > Moreover, how does acting ability determine costume
                          craftsmanship?
                          > > > The two have no bearing on each other. It also put cosplayers
                          using
                          > > > characters that couldn't clown around, and still be in-
                          character,
                          > > at
                          > > > an enormous disadvantage. It would have been more honest to
                          > > advertise
                          > > > the contest as "Character" rather than "Costume", but that's
                          their
                          > > > business. Still, I think it would be handled better by
                          separating:
                          > > > judging of costumes on technical aspects like accuracy,
                          complexity,
                          > > > refinement and whether or not it was bought pre-fab, and
                          character
                          > > > sketches. Or handle the thing like Wizard World does and simply

                        • ja_glinka
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                            > I was the Dr. Girlfriend in the Venture Bros. group, and I
                            definitely know the size of our group helped us out a lot, but we all
                            worked really hard on our costumes.

                            I'm not familiar with the Venture Brothers, though at this point I
                            understand they're a pop-culture parody cartoon. Having seen you on
                            Saturday and at the "Contest", the work you put into your costumes
                            was obvious. Most everything looked hand-made, with the exception of
                            standard clothing that had been selected for style-match. In
                            addition, the group performance demonstrated self-parody, which I
                            believe was basically "in-character" for the theme of your source
                            material. I think it was easier to gauge effort and sketch ability
                            amongst the groups. OTOH, I would've been interested to hear all the
                            details you just gave during an on-stage show and tell.

                            With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                            arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                            players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                            Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                            better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                            well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                            simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                            technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                            the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                            combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part. Performance
                            really was a huge part of the grade, which leaves me wondering why
                            Deadpool didn't get a nod.

                            > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
                            grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
                            didnt sign up.

                            Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
                            The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
                            character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
                            "ham it up".

                            I almost chose to abstain, as well. I've been in and observed art
                            contests for quite a few years now and when the judges don't offer
                            their credentials beyond "We're popular".... *shrugs* In addition, on
                            a purely subjective level, interaction with the marshmallow puff-man
                            on the Con floor earlier left me with an impression of unpleasant
                            smug arrogance. Turned out he couldn't quite restrain his urge to
                            upstage other cosplayers, as an MC. I almost walked out partway
                            through the show, but we were there for the photos. Fortunately, most
                            everyone seemed to have more fun posing before and after the official
                            contest.
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                              In a message dated 5/2/2007 7:12:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
                              > ...i didnt think the judging was to fair last year bc of how it was
                              grouped and honestly didnt think i would win anything anyway so i
                              didnt sign up.

                              Were you the Snake Eyes with the big visor or the commando goggles?
                              The latter showed good attention to detail, but knowing the
                              character, you would have been at disadvantage on stage trying to
                              "ham it up".

                              commando with goggles

                              See what's free at AOL.com.
                            • ja_glinka
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                                > commando with goggles

                                Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
                                the first one. It was a good costume.
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                                  In a message dated 5/2/2007 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja_glinka@... writes:
                                  > commando with goggles

                                  Damn. I knew I should have insisted on a picture because you weren't
                                  the first one. It was a good costume.

                                  thanks, last year when i first walked in i was like eh no one is going to know who i am and i was surprised at how many people know who i was even from behind. this year i easily had twice the requests for pictures. its flattering to have that much attention for a costume i didnt think people knew who i was. i found myself alot of times smiling for the pictures and not realizing it till after and think to myself  "you idiot why did you smile they cant see your face"  lol  i even had an artist remember me from last year when i was in street clothes and say hey your wearing the snake eyes costume again this year right, bc i want a pic!  that blew me away.
                                  we all should go out in costume for halloween, tho i dont think many places will let me in with a sword and knives and some fake guns and grenades lol
                                  -bart

                                  See what's free at AOL.com.
                                • Samantha
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 8, 2007
                                    > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                                    > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                                    > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it. Cobra
                                    > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                                    > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                                    > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even if
                                    > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                                    > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two. Yet,
                                    > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                                    > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.

                                    First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke ^_^
                                    It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                                    right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                                    makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving prizes
                                    to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                                    correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if that
                                    had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                                    presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                                    That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on stage
                                    anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as long
                                    as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say what I
                                    wanted if I would have won...

                                    Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                                    of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)
                                  • dlanning75
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 8, 2007
                                      I was one of the judges....I was the Beast....just to let you
                                      know...your costume was very well crafted, we all liked it. The Blade
                                      costume was well done as well, as was everyone in the contest. I
                                      found it a lot harder to judge than I thought it would be due to the
                                      quality of the costumes. You should not have been a wreck onstage,
                                      you were great, and you could tell you were very into your craft.
                                      Congrats on what you did and hopefully I will see you next year with
                                      another fantastic design.

                                      > > With the individuals, though, the judges choices seemed almost
                                      > > arbitrary to me. Yes, this was a small con with a limited pool of
                                      > > players, but as the saying goes, you know it when you see it.
                                      Cobra
                                      > > Commander gave a good voice-act, though I hear he may have given
                                      > > better performances off-stage. I believe the act sold Rimmer, as
                                      > > well. Then there's Psylocke. Her costume was well-crafted, even
                                      if
                                      > > simple in design, fitting well, in proper proportion. On the a
                                      > > technical level, I would say it was superior to the other two.
                                      Yet,
                                      > > the MC cast a shadow over her win, with his objectifying comments
                                      > > combined with the lack of equivalent improv on her part.
                                      >
                                      > First of all, thank you for noticing my craftsmanship on Psylocke
                                      ^_^
                                      > It is a fairly simple costume but I worked hard to get everything
                                      > right. I don't blame them for giving Blade the first prize, but it
                                      > makes me wonder if they've gotten in trouble before for giving
                                      prizes
                                      > to the scantily-clad girls and they were trying to be politically
                                      > correct (not saying Blade didn't deserve the win, but I wonder if
                                      that
                                      > had any weight on their decision). Blade had much better stage
                                      > presence, but in my defense the MC's comments really distracted me.
                                      > That combined with the fact that I'm a nervous freakin wreck on
                                      stage
                                      > anyway didn't help me. What I wanted to say was at least twice as
                                      long
                                      > as what came out, and I wonder if I would have been able to say
                                      what I
                                      > wanted if I would have won...
                                      >
                                      > Oh well though, I'm still happy, and very impressed to see the level
                                      > of quality in the skits increase considerably from last year :)

                                    • EEGAH316
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 9, 2007
                                        I sure didn't notice any nervousness from you up there! Came across
                                        great. Although when I was up there, I sort of froze up for a second
                                        before I started talking, since I actually wasn't sure beforehand
                                        exactly what I was gonna say up there. Not sure if anyone noticed.
                                        So I just spouted off the anti-PSA stuff, and it worked pretty well.
                                        Can't wait for the video!

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                                          As quick heads up to everyone, the deathcom.net video and photos of
                                          the costume contest are up on their site.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 10, 2007
                                            Yes,

                                            There were a few people that really stood out on the humor. Well
                                            done.
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                              Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                                              its a good time too.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                                In a message dated 5/11/2007 10:05:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dugger_rockz@... writes:
                                                Hey folks, dont forget the Steel City Con , JULY 28 &29
                                                its a good time too.

                                                i'm always there. not alot of stuff i want but i always manage to find something i need.

                                                See what's free at AOL.com.
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                                  aint that the truth, the show seems to grow each time, last time i went, wasnt wanting anything then spent 100 bucks on stuff i had to have...lol no regrets.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                                    Yeah, last time I went, I ended up with parts I needed for a whole
                                                    bunch of my incomplete Transformers and Joes. Hoping to do even more
                                                    completing this time around!

                                                    Plus Jeremy Bulloch's gonna be there, so for the cheap admission, you
                                                    can't go wrong.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 11, 2007
                                                      I couldnt agree more