COMICON - Day 3

  • sjharvey9@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2007
      I went to the Comicon today (Sunday) for about 2 1/2 hours. Walked around the place 3 or 4 times.

      I mainly went to see Wayne Pygram and Gigi Edgley, from one of my favorite t.v. shows, Farscape. Both of them were really nice and the line was small (when there was one at all). I was nice to see them even though the show has been off the air for a few years. Maybe when Stargate SG1 is done in a few years, some of those actors will be at the con. Every time I walked past or looked over at Marc Singer's booth, I never saw anyone there. Felt a little bad for him.

      I picked up The Best Of The Star Wars Fan Films and the 1980 Flash Gordon movie that I have been looking for, both on DVD. I was tempted to get the Star Wars Holiday Special, but passed on it.

      On one hand, I agree, $18 is a little too much. I've been going every year for at least the past 10 years, and it doesn't seem as good as it used to be. Maybe they should just charge $10 or $15 to get in and they would attract more fans. It did get a little crowded when I was leaving around 1:15 pm. It also doesn't seem like there were as many comics dealers as there used to be. I know they are trying to make a living and all, but maybe they should cut down on some of the small independent artists in the back half of the room.

      On the other hand, it seems like there was a lot more room to move around, and nobody really bumping into you. Again, I was glad to see the 2 actors from Farscape, and it was nice to see Peter Meyhew also. As I said, I've been going for at least the past 10 years and will probably go again next year no matter what the cost!!!

      --- SCOTT

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • TOD SMITH
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
        I was one of the small press guys that attended, and take a little offence
        to your suggestion to cut back on us.

        Its not us I think that need shortend up, but an expansion of floor space
        and a more aggresive ad campaign to attract more dealers as well as more big
        name comic book artists and companies.

        I do think that the con is not what it once was, with what seems to be fewer
        dealers. Problem is, some dealers have doubled their space to sell more
        stuff, leaving fewer spaces for others.

        I think you should write to the con organizers directly to help them make
        the changes needed for a better con experience.

        Tod Smith
        artist/inker
        Imperium Comics/ Unknown Comics.

      • sillysully7
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
          I completely agree, Tod.

          I had a way better time talking to the smaller/indie artists and
          writers then I did with some of the bigger guys. There is NO need to
          limit you guys, I love you guys.

          I doubt that the Con would want to move outside of the Expo, however,
          there is more room on the right side of the Expo. Infact, there was a
          sports card show over there on Sunday, I believe. Also, I loved the
          concept of there being food vendors in the con, the fudge was
          delicious!

          This year, we had a large number of cancelations and there is no way to
          change something like that. I'm sure next year we won't have that. Tod
          is right, e-mail your opinions directly, let your voices be heard...but
          seriously...the indie guys are great and in NO WAY are the problem.
        • James Rowe
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007
            I was suggesting to someone on Saturday that they
            should have the con on both sides. That way there's
            more room for the vendors and more room for the
            artists.
            James

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • sjharvey9@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2007
              Hi Tod,
                  I didn't mean to offend you or any of the other artists. Maybe I should have worded it a little better. I was just trying to say that there used to be a lot more comics dealers. I noticed in the front half of the room that there were even a few artists where comics dealers used to be. And that basement water sealing guy??????? A lot of the dealers this year were selling 25 cent and $1 comics, instead of the older ones that a lot of people look for a lot. It is a 'Comicon', and you guys in the back half are in the comics business. Sorry, again, if I offended anyone.

              --- SCOTT

              See what's free at AOL.com.
            • sjharvey9@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2007
                In a message dated 4/30/2007 3:35:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, pestilence15052@... writes:
                I was suggesting to someone on Saturday that they
                should have the con on both sides. That way there's
                more room for the vendors and more room for the
                artists.
                James
                Having it on both sides would be a GREAT idea. Was anyone even in the Sportscard Show room ???

                --- SCOTT

                See what's free at AOL.com.