day one?

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
      so how did it go? did some people meet up and hang out? i'll be there about noonish. look for the 6'6" guy with a flat top, chances are thats me. sadly my cuz wussed out and will not be going with me on sunday so i'll be alone, cant find anyone willing to spend the 18 bux to get in and hang out. i've found alot of people who want to go but not for that price, if it wa 10 bux they said they would go but not for close to 20 bux just to meet some artistes and hang out.
       its going to be a pain to drive myself in costume but i'll give it a try i guess on sunday.
      -bart

      See what's free at AOL.com.
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
        im here at the con now, its ok so far, i went the meeting room where the people  here in yahoo was supposed to meet and the room was empty the 3 times i checked it. tomorrow will be a busy day, i got 4 mini busts today for $80, im pretty happy with that.

        so how did it go? did some people meet up and hang out? i'll be there about noonish. look for the 6'6" guy with a flat top, chances are thats me. sadly my cuz wussed out and will not be going with me on sunday so i'll be alone, cant find anyone willing to spend the 18 bux to get in and hang out. i've found alot of people who want to go but not for that price, if it wa 10 bux they said they would go but not for close to 20 bux just to meet some artistes and hang out.
         its going to be a pain to drive myself in costume but i'll give it a try i guess on sunday.
        -bart

        See what's free at AOL.com.

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
      • Lisa Davis

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
            I went today and I have to say I was disappointed. The number of
            dealers keeps getting smaller and smaller and they are being replaced
            with too many artist, and most of them at the show are trying to break
            into the biz and selling sketches. There was even a booth with
            basement waterproofing for God's sake! Quite a few of the regular
            sellers were missing and replaced with New Dimension Comics booths. I
            (and my friend John who chose to stay home for the first time since
            they started) go to find old books that none of the local stores have
            and get bargains on stuff. We don't want to see the artist or talk to
            them. The $18 they are charging isn't worth the number of dealers
            inside. I'd like to see it be $10 to get in and another $8 for
            entrance to the artist area or something similar. I have to say this
            is my last con until changes are made, either in entry price of number
            of dealers inside. You're better off going to Eide's big sale if
            you're trying to find merchandise. Hope you have a better time.

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
              In a message dated 4/27/2007 10:39:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lisad_2711@... writes:
              Hey Bart, I am going tomorrow.... ....you can hang out with SpiderGirl!! ......... .

              sweet i guess look for me or i'll give ya my number. i plan on getting there about 12-1 but dont plan on staying all night. probly be there a few hours and catch the rest on sunday if i dont wreck trying to drive in costume  lol

              See what's free at AOL.com.
            • Kirisawa Fuko
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
                I found it kind of dissapointing too, honestly. There was nothing
                there I wanted to buy at all. I missed several dealers that didn't
                come back from years past. I hate how some of the artists get all in
                your face trying to sell you things. Makes me uncomfortable and so I
                tend to just avoid that whole back area of the room. The actors' talks
                I went to were alright. That was why I didn't stop in for the yahoo
                meet, wanted to go to the Star Wars actors discussion. One thing I'm
                most dissapointed in is that the costume contest seems like it's going
                to be run 100% the same way it has been in the past, from what the
                booklet says, with no effort at improving it at all. So I'm probably
                not going to enter it. I might not even bother to wear a costume
                Sunday. I'm not going tomorrow at all. All in all, I really don't feel
                like the con's worth the admission price any more. Sorry to say, I do
                have many many fond memories of it in the past.

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 27, 2007
                  In a message dated 4/27/2007 11:39:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fuko_chan@... writes:
[...]

                  i emailed them awhile ago asking if the rules had changed bc i heard rumors they were. never heard back from them. chance are i'm not entering bc the rules aint fair but i will be in costume on sunday i hope

                  See what's free at AOL.com.
                • Lisa Davis

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                      yeah, the con pretty muched sucked this year! why they dont spend the money on half a dozen well known artists an writers and not worry about the small press so much, (nothing against the little guys) but ive rarely seen anything remotely interesting that i would buy from them.the con has grown weaker an weaker over the last 5 years with the last 2 years being a downward spiral that they may not recover from.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                        you said it!

                        On Apr 27, 2007, at 10:09 PM, bsimon9427@aol. com wrote:

                        > so how did it go? did some people meet up and hang out? i'll be there
                        > about noonish. look for the 6'6" guy with a flat top, chances are
                        > thats me. sadly my cuz wussed out and will not be going with me on
                        > sunday so i'll be alone, cant find anyone willing to spend the 18 bux
                        > to get in and hang out. i've found alot of people who want to go but
                        > not for that price, if it wa 10 bux they said they would go but not
                        > for close to 20 bux just to meet some artistes and hang out.
                        >  its going to be a pain to drive myself in costume but i'll give it a
                        > try i guess on sunday.
                        > -bart
                        >

                        > See what's free at AOL.com.

                        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                      • Jim Balent Studios
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                          Tsk Tsk :-\

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                            None of the dealers that I wanted to buy from were there, mainly the
                            guy who sells the swords off in the corner by the entrance to the
                            hotel and the stand that sells all the t-shirts. I found a really
                            nice statue I want, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow to try to
                            talk the guy into lowering the price. The Fudgie Wudgie stand was
                            there. That's always good. Look for me and my 3 friends tomorrow.
                            We're the Ghostbusters. Tomorrow we'll have all of our equipment with
                            us.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                              Truth is Truth
                              countless people were complaining,its sad really. To let a potentially great show go to the dogs.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                                 wasn't adam hughs there?
                                some star wars people?
                                sometimes people just like to complain..
                                perhaps their gloom cloudy a potentially fun time!
                                what can ya do :-P
                                Michael &Rene are such  sweeties though!
                                as an invited guest-they makes you feel like royalty!
                                last year i caught a cold from a fan!-that was fun LOL

                                do san diego
                                real big...i'm sure you'd have fun
                                Best Witches

                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                                  yes they were,but its same ole same ole i think Michael and Renee are awesome,but....
                                  had you listened to the people, im not saying 2 or 3 people, alot of people was seriously disappointed
                                  and Im gonna have to include myself in that group. The Steel Valley Con  is a better value, and a way better time.
                                  (but thats my opinion)
                                  Trust me San Diego is a whole other planet,been there and goin back again.

                                  Dugger

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                                    The main dealers I was looking for weren't there. (I couldn't find a
                                    measly two issues of a comic I was looking for either, but that's
                                    another complaint for another day.) Seems like they lost a lot of the
                                    variety in dealers this year. Gaming supplies, shirts, DVD's and such
                                    were slim pickings compared to some years.
                                    Due to that and other reasons I may not even go tomorrow, but if I do,
                                    I will be in costume but I won't be entering into the costume contest
                                    either. I don't have a chance with last years format.

                                    The 52 panel was great though, and I got my money's worth of advice
                                    from David Campiti with Glasshouse, so it wasn't all bad. Just not as
                                    good as it could have been.

                                    > yes they were,but its same ole same ole i think Michael and Renee
                                    are awesome,but....
                                    > had you listened to the people, im not saying 2 or 3 people, alot of
                                    people was seriously disappointed
                                    > and Im gonna have to include myself in that group. The Steel Valley
                                    Con is a better value, and a way better time.
                                    > (but thats my opinion)
                                    > Trust me San Diego is a whole other planet,been there and goin back
                                    again.

                                    > Dugger

                                  • Kirisawa Fuko
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                                      If complaints aren't voiced, nothing will ever be improved. They did
                                      have some good guests, and no one was insulting the folks that run the
                                      show or how they treat their guests. But a few good guests and nice
                                      people heading the event doesn't mean it was a stellar show, or
                                      anywhere near as good as it could be. Please don't assume the people
                                      complaining are just gloomy or looking to nit pick. I really believe
                                      the con used to be better in some aspects, and others could be
                                      improved easily if they listened to some suggestions and tried. That's
                                      one of the things this group's for, fans to get together and talk
                                      about the good and the bad. I'm glad you're having a good experience
                                      with the con, but some people just aren't and there's nothing wrong
                                      with saying that.

                                      <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->

                                      > > Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                                      <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->

                                    • Anthony
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 28, 2007
                                        Well, Pittsburgh is my local show, and I'm happy with it each year. I
                                        may be biased because I don't worry about hotel costs.

                                        My main interest is to meet creators and get sketches from artists.
                                        This is a great show for that, with most artists having short lines,
                                        giving you plenty of opportunity to really talk to the creators. In
                                        Pittsburgh you can get very affordable sketches or even original art
                                        pages from Scott McDaniel or Ron Frenz (both local guys) plus other
                                        great artists. Just today I know Angel Medina and EBAS were doing
                                        free headsketches for fans, and I heard other artists remark that
                                        their Pittsburgh sketch prices were below what they would charge at
                                        San Diego or a Wizard World. For me, this makes it well worth the
                                        price of Admission for a day or 2.

                                        If you like sketches I highly recommend you look up Scott Rosema,
                                        Scott James, and Jay Fife. I met all three for the first time this
                                        weekend and was very happy with their sketches. If you are at the
                                        show on Sunday, feel free to stop by their booths, they are all very
                                        low pressure.

                                        I know Adam Hughes and George Perez were the big draws for people this
                                        year, and I talked to a few people who came to their first Pgh con
                                        this year just for Adam. I would love to see more big name "new"
                                        guests each year (and less cancelations - but who can control that?).
                                        I mean, Baltimore has Jim Lee and Mike Mignola this year, it would be
                                        great to get them, or Neal Adams, Jerry Robinson, John Romita, etc. at
                                        Pittsburgh next year. With the exception of EBAS, I can't think of
                                        any mainstream artists that were new to the Pgh con this year.

                                        As far as events go, quick sketch is always entertaining, and I really
                                        enjoyed the Match Game. Many of the costumes I saw today looked very
                                        good, I'll probably stick around for costume contest tomorrow.

                                        -Anthony

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 29, 2007
                                          THANKS FOR SEEING MY POINT

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 29, 2007
                                            LOL
                                            i don't have to trust you Dugger!
                                            I've been san diego for  errr- i think 14 years now
                                            I must say i enjoyed pitts con more than nyc con
                                            i guest just a personal taste
                                            but if you're at san diego this year
                                            stop by our booth
                                            1715
                                            tata for now

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 29, 2007
                                              LOL
                                              i'm not there
                                              we couldn't make it this year
                                              killer deadlines!
                                              but we've been guests for 3 different years
                                              i guess i can't be seen as a 'fan' per say-
                                              ...buuuut i am a huge star wars fan and
                                              it's awesome to get to meet them there..much more intimate
                                              i like your name!
                                              is it yours or a Manga character i don't know
                                              safe hex
                                              Holly

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 29, 2007
                                                I agree one of the nice things about the con is the chance to meet the
                                                guests casually.

                                                Thanks, it's a manga character, from Flame of Recca ^_^

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 29, 2007
                                                  I thought so! :-D

                                                  Kirisawa Fuko wrote:

                                                  I agree one of the nice things about the con is the chance to meet the
                                                  guests casually.

                                                  Thanks, it's a manga character, from Flame of Recca ^_^

                                                  --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@...> wrote:

                                                  > LOL
                                                  > i'm not there
                                                  > we couldn't make it this year
                                                  > killer deadlines!
                                                  > but we've been guests for 3 different years
                                                  > i guess i can't be seen as a 'fan' per say-
                                                  > ...buuuut i am a huge star wars fan and
                                                  > it's awesome to get to meet them there..much more intimate
                                                  > i like your name!
                                                  > is it yours or a Manga character i don't know
                                                  > safe hex
                                                  > Holly
                                                  >
                                                  > Kirisawa Fuko wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > If complaints aren't voiced, nothing will ever be improved. They did
                                                  > > have some good guests, and no one was insulting the folks that run the
                                                  > > show or how they treat their guests. But a few good guests and nice
                                                  > > people heading the event doesn't mean it was a stellar show, or
                                                  > > anywhere near as good as it could be. Please don't assume the people
                                                  > > complaining are just gloomy or looking to nit pick. I really believe
                                                  > > the con used to be better in some aspects, and others could be
                                                  > > improved easily if they listened to some suggestions and tried. That's
                                                  > > one of the things this group's for, fans to get together and talk
                                                  > > about the good and the bad. I'm glad you're having a good experience
                                                  > > with the con, but some people just aren't and there's nothing wrong
                                                  > > with saying that.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com
                                                  > > <mailto:pittscomico n%40yahoogroups. com>, Jim Balent Studios
                                                  > > <holly@> wrote:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > wasn't adam hughs there?
                                                  > > > some star wars people?
                                                  > > > sometimes people just like to complain..
                                                  > > > perhaps their gloom cloudy a potentially fun time!
                                                  > > > what can ya do :-P
                                                  > > > Michael &Rene are such sweeties though!
                                                  > > > as an invited guest-they makes you feel like royalty!
                                                  > > > last year i caught a cold from a fan!-that was fun LOL
                                                  > > >

                                                  > > > do san diego
                                                  > > > real big...i'm sure you'd have fun
                                                  > > > Best Witches

                                                  > > potentially

                                                • Robert Martin
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 30, 2007
                                                    Greetings everyone,

                                                    I had been looking forward to this year's Pittsburgh Comicon for several months and as I wrote last week was unable to attend and had to cancel my reservations due to my new employment.  Upon reading all of the group e-mails tonight, however, it seems like I would have been somewhat disappointed.  Two of my favorite artists, Mike Deodato and Michael Turner, were not in attendance ... Michael Turner I can understand, and wish him nothing but the best and my hopes and prayers for a speedy recovery -- the reason for Mike Deodato canceling (again) I have yet to hear.  Again, even though I was not able to attend this year, I did appreciate the advance notification of Michael Turner having to cancel ... but this would have been at least the second time I would have traveled from VA to Pittsburgh to see Mike Deodato, only to find out after I got there that he wasn't coming.  Why the last minute cancellations??

                                                    That being said, I have to say I enjoy meeting the "smaller, independent" artists ... the gang from Jim Balent Studios, for example, are some of the friendliest and accommodating people I have ever met, and I always look forward to seeing them.  I always enjoy Joe Jusko and Billy Tucci as well ... the original art and charity auctions, the vendors, the dealers, etc. always make it a fun time as well.  I only hope that scheduling will permit me AND more of my favorites to attend next year's Con!

                                                    As far as "special guest" suggestions ... I'd love to see Frank Miller again ...

                                                    Best wishes to all for a great 2007, and hope to see you in 2008!

                                                    Robert

                                                    Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.