Costume Advice

  • laycaris_redbrook
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
      Hello,
      I'm a first timer when it comes to the costume competition although
      I've been to the comicon three times now. I wanted to ask for some
      advice about competing in the future. I went dressed as an Uruk-hai
      scout and made my own armor and sword from mild steel with leather
      strapping and copper rivets. I made it with traditional smithing
      techniques with hammers and an anvil. Is there anything you can
      suggest in future events?
    • paulv70
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
        Since the winners were a group, maybe you should look for others to
        dress in similar garb to go up with you. I also think having a
        brief "skit" helps. Try to get a response from the audience.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "laycaris_redbrook"
        <layca__redbrook@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I'm a first timer when it comes to the costume competition although
        > I've been to the comicon three times now. I wanted to ask for some
        > advice about competing in the future. I went dressed as an Uruk-hai
        > scout and made my own armor and sword from mild steel with leather
        > strapping and copper rivets. I made it with traditional smithing
        > techniques with hammers and an anvil. Is there anything you can
        > suggest in future events?

      • eve11_girl
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
          I saw it; it was a great costume! You had really good moves, too.
          It's really hard for those kinds of costumes to get recognition in
          stage competitions. That's not a slam on judging from me; it's just
          the way things are. I thought the clockwork guy from Hellboy was
          really good too, and some others that you could tell took a lot of
          effort to design and build. And skill in construction is surely part
          of costuming, but if you're in it specifically *to win a stage
          competition*, there is more involved. You have to start from the
          audience & judge's perspectives, and also from the general 'feel' of
          the competition. You have to think of something that people don't see
          very often but will recognize; to a certain extent you really need to
          go with spectacle over subtlety. You need to start with a concept
          that will really Wow! them. That's why it's also hard for eg, Darth
          Vader, to win. A really amazing Darth Vader, even if he's built from
          scratch to perfect specification, is going to have a really hard time
          winning a stage costume competition. So if you specifically want to
          build a costume that will hands down win a stage competition, you have
          to start with the concept and the audience, and not just with the
          skill. At least, that's my opinon.

          Not to say that subtlety will always lose out, but one thing that
          helps it greatly is numbers. (see this year's winners, who were a very
          well-done GROUP of a more subtle, traditional idea) Or surprise. My
          suggestion would be, if you want to win a costume competition with
          UrukHai, the best thing to do is co-ordinate a group of people to
          accent the costume for stage presence. Get two or three more Uruk Hai
          and a Sauruman, or one or two kids to be Merry or Pippin tied up over
          your neck. Or, record or practice a truly fearsome UrukHai growl or
          battle cry. Something that will make the costume stand out on the
          stage and surprise the audience, give them something they may not have
          seen. Have them say, "That's such a cool costume, and I've never seen
          somebody do it -that- way before!"

          all of this is MHO, of course,
          -Rh

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
            its rigged lol, judging by age group sux to there needs to be a group and individual grouping by age.
            i had alot of people say mine was awesome, you should win something etc. got up on stage and flash bulbs went off like crazy yet i didnt place. even heard people say as they were walking out man he should have won something.
            i say just go to do it for fun for you and not so much for prizes. the prizes werent all that from what i hear anyway. i did my costume for me and for fun. really didnt think anyone would know who i was and was amazed people knew even from seeing me only from behind. i had a blast and would do it again next year. but if your out to win a prize it seems you need a group of 4-5 people with a dc costume. both judges on stage were dressed in a dc costume if that tells you anything.
          • Ryan
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 27, 2006
              Also...

              Try not to KILL A NUN ON STAGE.