Re: costume question

  • eve11_girl
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 26, 2006
      >Thanks! Me am always try do something stupid.

      hee :)

      Thanks for the compliments on Aku :) My friend and I had a great time
      making him (some pictures and explanation <A
      HREF="http://eve11.livejournal.com/194519.html">here</a>). Walking
      really wasn't so bad. I was a <A
      HREF="http://www.sanetv.com/eve11/dragoncon05/sat-sun-mon/DSC01338s.jpg">Scarran
      </a> at DragonCon with those stilts and that costume was *a lot*
      heavier. Aku was just a lot of fabric and a (severely) modified
      baseball cap ;). Standing for so long was difficult, though. My legs
      are still kind of sore.

      -Rh
      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Bizarro, you were very funny onstage! :) The anime costumes
      > too
      > > were really good. I had no idea what the nun, vampire and assasin
      > > were from, but I did like the "big hat" comment ;)
      > >
      > > I was really impressed with all of the costumes, actually. So many
      > > different techniques and looks -- the prosthetics for the Vampires,
      > > the understated but extremely accurate Firefly costumes, the
      > fantastic
      > > Star Wars outfits: I mean, every one there was just fantastic. I
      > kept
      > > saying, "Fantastic!" a lot. Top quality. I was Aku from Samauri
      > > Jack; my friend and I built the costume from scratch last week. I
      > had
      > > stilts left over from a different costume for D*C 05 and wanted to
      > use
      > > them again. It was pretty involved to do in a short time but once
      > > got the idea it wouldn't let me go. We won 3rd place in the adult
      > > division; it was a certificate for $10. Two years ago I was Aeryn
      > Sun
      > > from Farscape-- a more understated costume that took me literally
      > > MONTHS to sew by hand and build the props and armor elements, plus
      > we
      > > had a remote controlled DRD too, and I didn't place. C'est la
      > vie.
      > >
      > > (btw, We came late to the show Sunday and I didn't have time to get
      > > film for my camera -- if anyone has any pictures of Aku, could they
      > > contact me? (rlweaver at stat dot cmu dot edu) I'd love to see
      > them. )
      > >
      > > I think it would be cool to have a "best in show", "best
      > group", "best
      > > workmanship", "best performance" style for judging things. I've
      > been
      > > in a few contests like that, but I think one thing they'd need to
      > do
      > > is (as was suggested) have people register early and have the
      > judges
      > > get a good close-up look at the pieces before the stage show,
      > because
      > > if there's too many categories it might take longer to judge them.
      > > Another thing is, I've been in contests where on the registration
      > > sheet you can put notes in terms of how the costume was made.
      > >
      > > I know I'd have hated to be a judge at this contest, because like I
      > > said, everyone was really stellar.
      > >
      > > -Rhiannon
      > >
      > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yeah, I think if turnout for the contest keeps on growing, they
      > > > ought to add a couple different prizes at least.
      > > >
      > > > And I was Bizarro, BTW. As I started to sweat a bit, I thought
      > > > maybe I should've powdered my face more. But people seemed to
      > like
      > > > my outfit fine anyway, which was very flattering.
      > > >
      > > > Also, the outfits were all pretty sweet, but I was truly

    • Ryan
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 27, 2006
        You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.

        And you want to know why you lost?
      • hobanagarak
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 27, 2006
          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <sillysully7@...> wrote:

          > You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.
          >

          > And you want to know why you lost?

          Considering that one of the characters in the skit was a vampire, the
          other a ninja and there was a TON of dialogue I'm sure only the people
          on stage heard, but would have clarified what was going on, no, I
          wouldn't say that was the case. At least I hope not. And presumably
          contrary to the judges, I'm familiar with two/thirds of the characters
          in the skit

          Take my incredibly inexperienced opinion with a grain of salt, (I was
          the silent Sith Lord, first time at costume-ery. Didn't think I'd win
          anything, but I was really just happy to be there.) but there needs to
          be group and individual categories in the future if solo-ers are ever
          going to stand a chance. Or maybe established and original categories.
          Or more versatile judges. That, and voice projection from all mic-less
          parties involved on stage. ^_^
        • Chad "Space Ghost" Wilson
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 27, 2006
            Re: [pittscomicon] Re: costume question on 4/27/06 4:52 PM, Ryan at sillysully7@... wrote:

            You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.

                   And you want to know why you lost?

            WHAT? Damn! I missed THAT!
          • Kirisawa Fuko
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 27, 2006
              Hey, I didn't ask why we didn't win. I merely mentioned in my opinion
              the judges were a bit biased and I would've preferred if it were run a
              little differently. And come one, it's not like it was a realistic
              death! The nun got stabbed in the back by a fake sword and fell down.
              No blood, no screaming in pain...and got back up and walked off less
              than a minute later once the skit was over. The judge/announcer made a
              comment about it and seemed amused. If that is seriously why we didn't
              win, I'd like to see something in the rules next year saying violence
              is frowned upon or to keep the skits PG rated...tho I still don't
              think our skit was anything above a PG-13. But if we did actually
              manage to offend anyone with it, I think that's pretty hilarious.

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 27, 2006
                The entire contest was video taped by a friend of mine and may be
                uploaded online at some point. I'll post here if it is so you can see
                the nun killing in all it's glory, lol.

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Chad \"Space Ghost\" Wilson"
                <spacghst@...> wrote:

                > WHAT? Damn! I missed THAT!

              • Kirisawa Fuko
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 27, 2006
                  We did try to project. But yeah, considering the lack of mics and that
                  one of our characters has a mask over her mouth, it made it kind of
                  hard. But I think we still got a good reaction from the audience, lots
                  of laughing and clapping even if they didn't completely get it. As I
                  said, we had a lot of fun regardless of winning or not too. And I
                  agree with what you're saying. Hopefully at least some of this'll be
                  improved for next year.

                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hobanagarak" <hobanagarak@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <sillysully7@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.
                  > >

                  > > And you want to know why you lost?
                  > >

                  > Considering that one of the characters in the skit was a vampire, the
                  > other a ninja and there was a TON of dialogue I'm sure only the people
                  > on stage heard, but would have clarified what was going on, no, I
                  > wouldn't say that was the case. At least I hope not. And presumably
                  > contrary to the judges, I'm familiar with two/thirds of the characters
                  > in the skit
                  >
                  > Take my incredibly inexperienced opinion with a grain of salt, (I was
                  > the silent Sith Lord, first time at costume-ery. Didn't think I'd win
                  > anything, but I was really just happy to be there.) but there needs to
                  > be group and individual categories in the future if solo-ers are ever
                  > going to stand a chance. Or maybe established and original categories.
                  > Or more versatile judges. That, and voice projection from all mic-less
                  > parties involved on stage. ^_^

                • paulv70
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 27, 2006
                    Oh dear...

                    > The entire contest was video taped by a friend of mine and may be
                    > uploaded online at some point. I'll post here if it is so you can see
                    > the nun killing in all it's glory, lol.

                  • EEGAH316
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 30, 2006
                      Should that come to pass, I will totally burn it onto a DVD.