Re: costume question

  • eve11_girl
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 25 5:57 PM
      That's a good one. Something that encourages the wacky is always fun :)

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Chad \"Space Ghost\" Wilson"
      <spacghst@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > the understated but extremely accurate Firefly costumes, the fantastic
      > Star Wars outfits: I mean, every one there was just fantastic. I kept
      > saying, "Fantastic!" a lot. Top quality. I was Aku from Samauri
      > Jack; my friend and I built the costume from scratch last week. I had
      > stilts left over from a different costume for D*C 05 and wanted to use
      > them again. It was pretty involved to do in a short time but once I
      > got the idea it wouldn't let me go. We won 3rd place in the adult
      > division; it was a certificate for $10. Two years ago I was Aeryn Sun
      > from Farscape-- a more understated costume that took me literally
      > MONTHS to sew by hand and build the props and armor elements, plus we
      > had a remote controlled DRD too, and I didn't place. C'est la vie.
      >
      > (btw, We came late to the show Sunday and I didn't have time to get
      > film for my camera -- if anyone has any pictures of Aku, could they
      > contact me? (rlweaver at stat dot cmu dot edu) I'd love to see them. )
      >
      > I think it would be cool to have a "best in show", "best group", "best
      > workmanship", "best performance" style for judging things. I've been
      > in a few contests like that, but I think one thing they'd need to do
      > is (as was suggested) have people register early and have the judges
      > get a good close-up look at the pieces before the stage show, because
      > if there's too many categories it might take longer to judge them.
      > Another thing is, I've been in contests where on the registration
      > sheet you can put notes in terms of how the costume was made.
      >
      > I know I'd have hated to be a judge at this contest, because like I
      > said, everyone was really stellar.
      >
      > -Rhiannon
      >
      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yeah, I think if turnout for the contest keeps on growing, they
      > > ought to add a couple different prizes at least.
      > >
      > > And I was Bizarro, BTW. As I started to sweat a bit, I thought
      > > maybe I should've powdered my face more. But people seemed to like
      > > my outfit fine anyway, which was very flattering.
      > >
      > > Also, the outfits were all pretty sweet, but I was truly impressed
      > > by Chewbacca.
      > >

      > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, bsimon9427@ wrote:
      > > >

      > > > In a message dated 4/23/2006 11:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > > > spacghst@ writes:
      > > >
      > > > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
      > > > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
      > > > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that the
      > > > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that the
      > > > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
      > > > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-
      > > Fi/Horror,
      > > > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be possible, but
      > > > each category would have first through third place. A trophy
      > > would be
      > > > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.

      store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+

      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pittscomicon>
      > " on the web.

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Chad "Space Ghost" Wilson
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 25 6:02 PM
        Re: [pittscomicon] Re: costume question How about, instead of "Best Performance" we go with something more general

               Comic book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=OpThui_IhXDzWstTJVOg0A> Comic book store <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book+store&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=nKqnhIkTysf7_V64BNFhpQ> Comic book artist <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book+artist&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=Mn5zVvmlB-oujpjFi5awQw> Comic book cover <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book+cover&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=4wWXUU5lS_sVoxMBg-FnTw> Comic book for sale <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book+for+sale&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=bfQkRldv0ApuZSBHRo7POQ> Dc comic book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Dc+comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=RtNS93Aa0-zC1k_qJDwmoA>

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • EEGAH316
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 26 4:53 AM
          Thanks! Me am always try do something stupid. I considered dancing
          the Batusi onstage, but I decided it'd be overkill and just mugged
          with J'Onn for a bit there. It seemed to work.

          And I gotta say, I'm amazed that you could even walk around in your
          Aku outfit, let alone that it looked so good! I'm already teeming
          with excitement for next year, I gotta say.

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "eve11_girl" <eve11_xf@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > >

          > > > In a message dated 4/23/2006 11:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight
          Time,
          > > > spacghst@ writes:
          > > >
          > > > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
          > > > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
          > > > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that
          the
          > > > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that
          the
          > > > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
          > > > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-
          > > Fi/Horror,
          > > > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be
          possible, but
          > > > each category would have first through third place. A trophy
          > > would be
          > > > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.

        • Will Crites
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 26 6:03 AM
            Though I wasn't there for the costume contest. I did come in costume on Saturday.

            Will

          • eve11_girl
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 26 7:41 AM
              >Thanks! Me am always try do something stupid.

              hee :)

              Thanks for the compliments on Aku :) My friend and I had a great time
              making him (some pictures and explanation <A
              HREF="http://eve11.livejournal.com/194519.html">here</a>). Walking
              really wasn't so bad. I was a <A
              HREF="http://www.sanetv.com/eve11/dragoncon05/sat-sun-mon/DSC01338s.jpg">Scarran
              </a> at DragonCon with those stilts and that costume was *a lot*
              heavier. Aku was just a lot of fabric and a (severely) modified
              baseball cap ;). Standing for so long was difficult, though. My legs
              are still kind of sore.

              -Rh

            • Ryan
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 27 2:52 PM
                You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.

                And you want to know why you lost?
              • hobanagarak
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 27 4:01 PM
                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <sillysully7@...> wrote:

                  > You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.
                  >

                  > And you want to know why you lost?

                  Considering that one of the characters in the skit was a vampire, the
                  other a ninja and there was a TON of dialogue I'm sure only the people
                  on stage heard, but would have clarified what was going on, no, I
                  wouldn't say that was the case. At least I hope not. And presumably
                  contrary to the judges, I'm familiar with two/thirds of the characters
                  in the skit

                  Take my incredibly inexperienced opinion with a grain of salt, (I was
                  the silent Sith Lord, first time at costume-ery. Didn't think I'd win
                  anything, but I was really just happy to be there.) but there needs to
                  be group and individual categories in the future if solo-ers are ever
                  going to stand a chance. Or maybe established and original categories.
                  Or more versatile judges. That, and voice projection from all mic-less
                  parties involved on stage. ^_^
                • Chad "Space Ghost" Wilson
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 27 4:42 PM
                    Re: [pittscomicon] Re: costume question on 4/27/06 4:52 PM, Ryan at sillysully7@... wrote:

                    You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.

                           And you want to know why you lost?

                    WHAT? Damn! I missed THAT!
                  • Kirisawa Fuko
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 27 4:45 PM
                      Hey, I didn't ask why we didn't win. I merely mentioned in my opinion
                      the judges were a bit biased and I would've preferred if it were run a
                      little differently. And come one, it's not like it was a realistic
                      death! The nun got stabbed in the back by a fake sword and fell down.
                      No blood, no screaming in pain...and got back up and walked off less
                      than a minute later once the skit was over. The judge/announcer made a
                      comment about it and seemed amused. If that is seriously why we didn't
                      win, I'd like to see something in the rules next year saying violence
                      is frowned upon or to keep the skits PG rated...tho I still don't
                      think our skit was anything above a PG-13. But if we did actually
                      manage to offend anyone with it, I think that's pretty hilarious.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 27 4:46 PM
                        The entire contest was video taped by a friend of mine and may be
                        uploaded online at some point. I'll post here if it is so you can see
                        the nun killing in all it's glory, lol.

                        <spacghst@...> wrote:

                        > WHAT? Damn! I missed THAT!

                      • Kirisawa Fuko
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 27 4:49 PM
                          We did try to project. But yeah, considering the lack of mics and that
                          one of our characters has a mask over her mouth, it made it kind of
                          hard. But I think we still got a good reaction from the audience, lots
                          of laughing and clapping even if they didn't completely get it. As I
                          said, we had a lot of fun regardless of winning or not too. And I
                          agree with what you're saying. Hopefully at least some of this'll be
                          improved for next year.

                          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hobanagarak" <hobanagarak@...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <sillysully7@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.
                          > >

                          > > And you want to know why you lost?
                          > >

                          > Considering that one of the characters in the skit was a vampire, the
                          > other a ninja and there was a TON of dialogue I'm sure only the people
                          > on stage heard, but would have clarified what was going on, no, I
                          > wouldn't say that was the case. At least I hope not. And presumably
                          > contrary to the judges, I'm familiar with two/thirds of the characters
                          > in the skit
                          >
                          > Take my incredibly inexperienced opinion with a grain of salt, (I was
                          > the silent Sith Lord, first time at costume-ery. Didn't think I'd win
                          > anything, but I was really just happy to be there.) but there needs to
                          > be group and individual categories in the future if solo-ers are ever
                          > going to stand a chance. Or maybe established and original categories.
                          > Or more versatile judges. That, and voice projection from all mic-less
                          > parties involved on stage. ^_^

                        • paulv70
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 27 5:58 PM
                            Oh dear...

                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 30 7:20 PM
                              Should that come to pass, I will totally burn it onto a DVD.