Re: costume question

  • EEGAH316
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 24 9:36 AM
      Yeah, I think if turnout for the contest keeps on growing, they
      ought to add a couple different prizes at least.

      And I was Bizarro, BTW. As I started to sweat a bit, I thought
      maybe I should've powdered my face more. But people seemed to like
      my outfit fine anyway, which was very flattering.

      Also, the outfits were all pretty sweet, but I was truly impressed
      by Chewbacca.

      > In a message dated 4/23/2006 11:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > spacghst@... writes:
      >
      > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
      > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
      > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that the
      > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that the
      > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
      > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-
      Fi/Horror,
      > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be possible, but
      > each category would have first through third place. A trophy
      would be
      > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.
      >
      > Opinions?
      >

      > works for me

    • Kirisawa Fuko
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 24 12:27 PM
        That does sound a lot better. Also maybe something for best skit or
        best acting would be cool too. This year, and all years past that I've
        been there, they had three different age groups, and first-third
        prizes for each age group. No trophies or ribbons, but I believe the
        winners got a certificate for money good to spend at the con.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Chad \"Space Ghost\" Wilson"
        <spacghst@...> wrote:

        > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
        > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
        > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that the
        > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that the
        > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
        > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-Fi/Horror,
        > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be possible, but
        > each category would have first through third place. A trophy would be
        > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.
        >
        > Opinions?

      • eve11_girl
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 25 2:49 PM
          Hey Bizarro, you were very funny onstage! :) The anime costumes too
          were really good. I had no idea what the nun, vampire and assasin
          were from, but I did like the "big hat" comment ;)

          I was really impressed with all of the costumes, actually. So many
          different techniques and looks -- the prosthetics for the Vampires,
          the understated but extremely accurate Firefly costumes, the fantastic
          Star Wars outfits: I mean, every one there was just fantastic. I kept
          saying, "Fantastic!" a lot. Top quality. I was Aku from Samauri
          Jack; my friend and I built the costume from scratch last week. I had
          stilts left over from a different costume for D*C 05 and wanted to use
          them again. It was pretty involved to do in a short time but once I
          got the idea it wouldn't let me go. We won 3rd place in the adult
          division; it was a certificate for $10. Two years ago I was Aeryn Sun
          from Farscape-- a more understated costume that took me literally
          MONTHS to sew by hand and build the props and armor elements, plus we
          had a remote controlled DRD too, and I didn't place. C'est la vie.

          (btw, We came late to the show Sunday and I didn't have time to get
          film for my camera -- if anyone has any pictures of Aku, could they
          contact me? (rlweaver at stat dot cmu dot edu) I'd love to see them. )

          I think it would be cool to have a "best in show", "best group", "best
          workmanship", "best performance" style for judging things. I've been
          in a few contests like that, but I think one thing they'd need to do
          is (as was suggested) have people register early and have the judges
          get a good close-up look at the pieces before the stage show, because
          if there's too many categories it might take longer to judge them.
          Another thing is, I've been in contests where on the registration
          sheet you can put notes in terms of how the costume was made.

          I know I'd have hated to be a judge at this contest, because like I
          said, everyone was really stellar.

          -Rhiannon

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "EEGAH316" <eegah316@...> wrote:

          > Yeah, I think if turnout for the contest keeps on growing, they
          > ought to add a couple different prizes at least.
          >
          > And I was Bizarro, BTW. As I started to sweat a bit, I thought
          > maybe I should've powdered my face more. But people seemed to like
          > my outfit fine anyway, which was very flattering.
          >
          > Also, the outfits were all pretty sweet, but I was truly impressed
          > by Chewbacca.
          >

          > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, bsimon9427@ wrote:
          > >

          > > In a message dated 4/23/2006 11:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > > spacghst@ writes:
          > >
          > > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
          > > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
          > > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that the
          > > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that the
          > > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
          > > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-
          > Fi/Horror,
          > > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be possible, but
          > > each category would have first through third place. A trophy
          > would be
          > > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.
          > >
          > > Opinions?
          > >

          > > works for me

        • eve11_girl
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 25 5:57 PM
            That's a good one. Something that encourages the wacky is always fun :)

            <spacghst@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > by Chewbacca.
            > >

            > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, bsimon9427@ wrote:
            > > >

            > > > In a message dated 4/23/2006 11:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > > > spacghst@ writes:
            > > >
            > > > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
            > > > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
            > > > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that the
            > > > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that the
            > > > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
            > > > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-
            > > Fi/Horror,
            > > > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be possible, but
            > > > each category would have first through third place. A trophy
            > > would be
            > > > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.

            store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+

            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pittscomicon>
            > " on the web.

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Chad "Space Ghost" Wilson
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 25 6:02 PM
              Re: [pittscomicon] Re: costume question How about, instead of "Best Performance" we go with something more general

                     Comic book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=OpThui_IhXDzWstTJVOg0A> Comic book store <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book+store&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=nKqnhIkTysf7_V64BNFhpQ> Comic book artist <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book+artist&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=Mn5zVvmlB-oujpjFi5awQw> Comic book cover <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book+cover&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=4wWXUU5lS_sVoxMBg-FnTw> Comic book for sale <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Comic+book+for+sale&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=bfQkRldv0ApuZSBHRo7POQ> Dc comic book <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Dc+comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=127&.sig=RtNS93Aa0-zC1k_qJDwmoA>

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • EEGAH316
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 26 4:53 AM
                Thanks! Me am always try do something stupid. I considered dancing
                the Batusi onstage, but I decided it'd be overkill and just mugged
                with J'Onn for a bit there. It seemed to work.

                And I gotta say, I'm amazed that you could even walk around in your
                Aku outfit, let alone that it looked so good! I'm already teeming
                with excitement for next year, I gotta say.

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "eve11_girl" <eve11_xf@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > > >

                > > > In a message dated 4/23/2006 11:26:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight
                Time,
                > > > spacghst@ writes:
                > > >
                > > > OK I do not know how this contest was handled or how many
                > > > awards were given out, but I have had some experience watching
                > > > costume contests at large fan based conventions. Given that
                the
                > > > Pittsburgh Comicon is a comic book convention, it seems that
                the
                > > > interests of the attendees is not solely based on comic books.
                > > > I would recommend several categories. Comic, Fantasy, Sci-
                > > Fi/Horror,
                > > > Workmanship and Best in Show. More categories may be
                possible, but
                > > > each category would have first through third place. A trophy
                > > would be
                > > > given to first place and maybe ribbons to 2nd and 3rd.

              • Will Crites
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 26 6:03 AM
                  Though I wasn't there for the costume contest. I did come in costume on Saturday.

                  Will

                • eve11_girl
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 26 7:41 AM
                    >Thanks! Me am always try do something stupid.

                    hee :)

                    Thanks for the compliments on Aku :) My friend and I had a great time
                    making him (some pictures and explanation <A
                    HREF="http://eve11.livejournal.com/194519.html">here</a>). Walking
                    really wasn't so bad. I was a <A
                    HREF="http://www.sanetv.com/eve11/dragoncon05/sat-sun-mon/DSC01338s.jpg">Scarran
                    </a> at DragonCon with those stilts and that costume was *a lot*
                    heavier. Aku was just a lot of fabric and a (severely) modified
                    baseball cap ;). Standing for so long was difficult, though. My legs
                    are still kind of sore.

                    -Rh

                  • Ryan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 27 2:52 PM
                      You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.

                      And you want to know why you lost?
                    • hobanagarak
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 27 4:01 PM
                        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <sillysully7@...> wrote:

                        > You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.
                        >

                        > And you want to know why you lost?

                        Considering that one of the characters in the skit was a vampire, the
                        other a ninja and there was a TON of dialogue I'm sure only the people
                        on stage heard, but would have clarified what was going on, no, I
                        wouldn't say that was the case. At least I hope not. And presumably
                        contrary to the judges, I'm familiar with two/thirds of the characters
                        in the skit

                        Take my incredibly inexperienced opinion with a grain of salt, (I was
                        the silent Sith Lord, first time at costume-ery. Didn't think I'd win
                        anything, but I was really just happy to be there.) but there needs to
                        be group and individual categories in the future if solo-ers are ever
                        going to stand a chance. Or maybe established and original categories.
                        Or more versatile judges. That, and voice projection from all mic-less
                        parties involved on stage. ^_^
                      • Chad "Space Ghost" Wilson
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 27 4:42 PM
                          Re: [pittscomicon] Re: costume question on 4/27/06 4:52 PM, Ryan at sillysully7@... wrote:

                          You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.

                                 And you want to know why you lost?

                          WHAT? Damn! I missed THAT!
                        • Kirisawa Fuko
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 27 4:45 PM
                            Hey, I didn't ask why we didn't win. I merely mentioned in my opinion
                            the judges were a bit biased and I would've preferred if it were run a
                            little differently. And come one, it's not like it was a realistic
                            death! The nun got stabbed in the back by a fake sword and fell down.
                            No blood, no screaming in pain...and got back up and walked off less
                            than a minute later once the skit was over. The judge/announcer made a
                            comment about it and seemed amused. If that is seriously why we didn't
                            win, I'd like to see something in the rules next year saying violence
                            is frowned upon or to keep the skits PG rated...tho I still don't
                            think our skit was anything above a PG-13. But if we did actually
                            manage to offend anyone with it, I think that's pretty hilarious.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 27 4:46 PM
                              The entire contest was video taped by a friend of mine and may be
                              uploaded online at some point. I'll post here if it is so you can see
                              the nun killing in all it's glory, lol.

                              <spacghst@...> wrote:

                              > WHAT? Damn! I missed THAT!

                            • Kirisawa Fuko
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 27 4:49 PM
                                We did try to project. But yeah, considering the lack of mics and that
                                one of our characters has a mask over her mouth, it made it kind of
                                hard. But I think we still got a good reaction from the audience, lots
                                of laughing and clapping even if they didn't completely get it. As I
                                said, we had a lot of fun regardless of winning or not too. And I
                                agree with what you're saying. Hopefully at least some of this'll be
                                improved for next year.

                                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hobanagarak" <hobanagarak@...>
                                wrote:

                                > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <sillysully7@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > You killed a NUN onstage infront of children.
                                > >

                                > > And you want to know why you lost?
                                > >

                                > Considering that one of the characters in the skit was a vampire, the
                                > other a ninja and there was a TON of dialogue I'm sure only the people
                                > on stage heard, but would have clarified what was going on, no, I
                                > wouldn't say that was the case. At least I hope not. And presumably
                                > contrary to the judges, I'm familiar with two/thirds of the characters
                                > in the skit
                                >
                                > Take my incredibly inexperienced opinion with a grain of salt, (I was
                                > the silent Sith Lord, first time at costume-ery. Didn't think I'd win
                                > anything, but I was really just happy to be there.) but there needs to
                                > be group and individual categories in the future if solo-ers are ever
                                > going to stand a chance. Or maybe established and original categories.
                                > Or more versatile judges. That, and voice projection from all mic-less
                                > parties involved on stage. ^_^

                              • paulv70
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 27 5:58 PM
                                  Oh dear...

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 30 7:20 PM
                                    Should that come to pass, I will totally burn it onto a DVD.