Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [pittscomicon] Re: Artist Sketching.....What Is The Best Way To Obtain One?

Expand Messages
  • jerry self
    i have stickers on the outside of mine (love those white apples that came with my powerbook) and i have a piece of paper taped to the inside with myname and
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 19 11:56 AM
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      i have stickers on the outside of mine (love those white apples that came with my powerbook) and i have a piece of paper taped to the inside with myname and phone#
       
      most of them if you leave the book will write down name and what you want
       
      i think the size on mine is 10x14 or so

      marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
      I am gearing up for this weekend's Pittsburgh Comicon and I am going
      to take the suggestion that was offered to me last year, by picking
      up a sketchbook.

      My follow-up question's would be, "What is the perfect Sketch Book
      size to buy? Are there certain sizes that artist's don't like?
      Obviously, you have to leave your sketch book with the artist...How
      do you reclaim it? That weekend? Send it to your address via a Self-
      Adressed Pre-paid envelope?

      Thanks for any help with these additional questions!

      -marveldc1

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@...>
      wrote:
      >
      > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
      pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
      Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
      also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
      con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
      time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
      George Perez does a lot of his at night.

      > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
      you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
      probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
      probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
      marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
      artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

      > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
      sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
      small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
      in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
      up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
      if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
      Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
      sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
      sketches though.

      > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention. 
      At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
      where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all. 
      Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
      some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
      artists don't have time to sketch.

      > I hope that helps.
      >
      > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
      > Hello All!
      >
      >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
      > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
      artists
      > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
      that
      > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
      the
      > more difficult to obtain.
      >
      >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
      > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
      in
      > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
      that
      > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
      my
      > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
      favorite
      > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
      for
      > any and all advice!
      >
      > -marveldc1
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >    To visit your group on the web, go to:
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pittscomicon/
      >  
      >    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > pittscomicon-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >  
      >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.
      >
      >
      >            
      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Mail
      >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour
      >








      www.jjsphotos.com
      www.geocities.com/jjsdc03


      Celebrate Earth Day everyday! Discover 10 things you can do to help slow climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day

    • leroy dedominicis
      yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt gonna make the con! i was gettin 3 pieces done from him but he says his work schedule is too
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 19 8:54 PM
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt gonna make the con!
        i was gettin 3  pieces done from him but he says his work schedule is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
        too bad gene is fantastic!

        R Howard <thezeppo1138@...> wrote:
        I wouldn't count on too many artists wanting the responsibility of keeping your sketchbook after you leave and sending it to you later.  Too much risk of it getting lost that way.  I've commissioned artists to do sketches on a loose sheet of paper for me after the con, but if that gets lost or damaged, it's only one sketch, and they can replace it.
         
        As Matt said, many artists will do a quick sketch for you at the table, or hold onto your book for a few hours or even overnight to do a more elaborate sketch, if they know you're going to be back for it later or the next day.
         
        A couple of points of sketch ettiquette:
         
        1) Don't get angry if an artist declines to do a sketch.  These guys draw for a living and sometimes they either just don't feel like sketching, or they are too busy to sketch.  Also, believe it or not soem artists don't like to do sketches because they are perfectionists and don't feel they are good at quick sketches.
         
        2) Don't hold up the line.  If there are a ton of people behind you, either leave your book with the artist or wait until his/her line is shorter.  You may want to consider getting two books for this very reason.  There is a Borders right near the convention center and they usually have sketchbooks on clearance for like $5.00-$7.00.  At least mine always does.
         
        3) Find out what, if anything, the artist charges ahead of time.  Some artists will do a quick little head sketch for free, but if you want a full figure, they'll want to be paid.  Drawing is after all how they make their living.  Some artists will have sketch prices on their tables, but if they don't, just ask if A) they are doing sketches and B) how much they are charging.  If you just want a simple little sketch for free, ask.  All they can do is say no.  If they say yes though, be happy with what you got, no matter how simple it is.
         
        4) Not really etiquitte, but a good tip - hit the hot artists first.  Don't wait until the end of the day Saturday to ask Adam Hughes for a full sketch of Wonder Woman; in all likelihood his sketch list will be filled up by midway through Friday.
         
        5) Another tip - get a sketch from Gene Gonzales, and don't be afraid to pay for one.  Gene is one of the best underpublished artists at the con. 

        Matt Plantilla <shady64@...> wrote:
        11" X 14" is a good size for a sketchbook.  Easy to carry around in a bag.  I suggest wirebound, especially if you're leaving the book with artists as it's easier to manage for them.  You don't necessarily have to leave your book with them; they'll often crank it out for you while you watch and talk.  If you're going for something more elaborate, then you could either leave the book or just tear out a page.  Most artists will be able to finish the sketch before you leave, especially if you have to leave by a certain time or day.  If they can't, then you can arrange with the particular artist to have it sent once it's done.
         
        - matt

         
        On 4/18/06, marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
        I am gearing up for this weekend's Pittsburgh Comicon and I am going
        to take the suggestion that was offered to me last year, by picking
        up a sketchbook.

        My follow-up question's would be, "What is the perfect Sketch Book
        size to buy? Are there certain sizes that artist's don't like?
        Obviously, you have to leave your sketch book with the artist...How
        do you reclaim it? That weekend? Send it to your address via a Self-
        Adressed Pre-paid envelope?

        Thanks for any help with these additional questions!

        -marveldc1

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com , R Howard <thezeppo1138@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
        pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
        Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
        also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
        con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
        time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
        George Perez does a lot of his at night.

        > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
        you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
        probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
        probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
        marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
        artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

        > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
        sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
        small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
        in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
        up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
        if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
        Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
        sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
        sketches though.

        > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention. 
        At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
        where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all. 
        Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
        some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
        artists don't have time to sketch.

        > I hope that helps.
        >
        > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
        > Hello All!
        >
        >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
        > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
        artists
        > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
        that
        > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
        the
        > more difficult to obtain.
        >
        >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
        > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
        in
        > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
        that
        > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
        my
        > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
        favorite
        > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
        for
        > any and all advice!
        >
        > -marveldc1
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >    To visit your group on the web, go to:
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pittscomicon/
        >  
        >    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > pittscomicon-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >  
        >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.
        >
        >
        >            
        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail
        >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour
        >







        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS






        --
        sh@dy


        Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.


        How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

      • Anthony
        I ve heard about another unfortunate cancelation. According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this weekend. ... gonna make the con! ...
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 20 3:19 PM
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation.

          According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
          weekend.

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, leroy dedominicis
          <collector1204@...> wrote:
          >
          > yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt
          gonna make the con!
          > i was gettin 3 pieces done from him but he says his work schedule
          is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
          > too bad gene is fantastic!
        • leroy dedominicis
          are you serious?!!! that was one of the main reasons i was goin. man life sucks.lol is that positive that hughes isnt coming? Anthony
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 20 5:35 PM
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            are you serious?!!!
            that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
            man life sucks.lol
            is that positive that hughes isnt coming?

            Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
            I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation. 

            According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
            weekend. 

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, leroy dedominicis
            <collector1204@...> wrote:
            >
            > yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt
            gonna make the con!
            >   i was gettin 3  pieces done from him but he says his work schedule
            is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
            >   too bad gene is fantastic!





            Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

          • Anthony
            Sadly, yes. Allison, Adam s girlfriend, posted apologies for the cancelation, so it seems definite.
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 20 6:11 PM
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              Sadly, yes.
              Allison, Adam's girlfriend, posted apologies for the cancelation, so
              it seems definite.

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, leroy dedominicis
              <collector1204@...> wrote:
              >
              > are you serious?!!!
              > that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
              > man life sucks.lol
              > is that positive that hughes isnt coming?
              >
              > Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
              > I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation.
              >
              > According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
              > weekend.
            • leroy dedominicis
              son of a bugger!!lol lol oh well. guess that leaves a few more dollars for other stuff. hopefully i can get a comission or 2 from george perez. Anthony
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 20 7:45 PM
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                son of a bugger!!lol lol
                oh well. guess that leaves a few more dollars for other stuff. hopefully i can get a comission or 2 from george perez.

                Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
                Sadly, yes.
                Allison, Adam's girlfriend, posted apologies for the cancelation, so
                it seems definite.

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, leroy dedominicis
                <collector1204@...> wrote:
                >
                > are you serious?!!!
                >   that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
                >   man life sucks.lol
                >   is that positive that hughes isnt coming?
                >
                > Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
                >   I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation. 
                >
                > According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
                > weekend. 





                Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

              • jerry self
                1) adam will be full by an hour after the show opens, if you want a full sketch from him, go to him VERY first thing 2) an option to a sketch book is comic
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 22 7:21 AM
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  1) adam will be full by an hour after the show opens, if you want a full sketch from him, go to him VERY first thing
                   
                  2) an option to a sketch book is comic book backing boards the rough side is VERY good for sketches


                  www.jjsphotos.com
                  www.geocities.com/jjsdc03


                  Celebrate Earth Day everyday! Discover 10 things you can do to help slow climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.