Re: [pittscomicon] Re: Artist Sketching.....What Is The Best Way To Obtain One?

  • R Howard
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 19, 2006
      I wouldn't count on too many artists wanting the responsibility of keeping your sketchbook after you leave and sending it to you later.  Too much risk of it getting lost that way.  I've commissioned artists to do sketches on a loose sheet of paper for me after the con, but if that gets lost or damaged, it's only one sketch, and they can replace it.

      As Matt said, many artists will do a quick sketch for you at the table, or hold onto your book for a few hours or even overnight to do a more elaborate sketch, if they know you're going to be back for it later or the next day.

      A couple of points of sketch ettiquette:

      1) Don't get angry if an artist declines to do a sketch.  These guys draw for a living and sometimes they either just don't feel like sketching, or they are too busy to sketch.  Also, believe it or not soem artists don't like to do sketches because they are perfectionists and don't feel they are good at quick sketches.

      2) Don't hold up the line.  If there are a ton of people behind you, either leave your book with the artist or wait until his/her line is shorter.  You may want to consider getting two books for this very reason.  There is a Borders right near the convention center and they usually have sketchbooks on clearance for like $5.00-$7.00.  At least mine always does.

      3) Find out what, if anything, the artist charges ahead of time.  Some artists will do a quick little head sketch for free, but if you want a full figure, they'll want to be paid.  Drawing is after all how they make their living.  Some artists will have sketch prices on their tables, but if they don't, just ask if A) they are doing sketches and B) how much they are charging.  If you just want a simple little sketch for free, ask.  All they can do is say no.  If they say yes though, be happy with what you got, no matter how simple it is.

      4) Not really etiquitte, but a good tip - hit the hot artists first.  Don't wait until the end of the day Saturday to ask Adam Hughes for a full sketch of Wonder Woman; in all likelihood his sketch list will be filled up by midway through Friday.

      5) Another tip - get a sketch from Gene Gonzales, and don't be afraid to pay for one.  Gene is one of the best underpublished artists at the con.

      Matt Plantilla <shady64@...> wrote:
      11" X 14" is a good size for a sketchbook.  Easy to carry around in a bag.  I suggest wirebound, especially if you're leaving the book with artists as it's easier to manage for them.  You don't necessarily have to leave your book with them; they'll often crank it out for you while you watch and talk.  If you're going for something more elaborate, then you could either leave the book or just tear out a page.  Most artists will be able to finish the sketch before you leave, especially if you have to leave by a certain time or day.  If they can't, then you can arrange with the particular artist to have it sent once it's done.

      - matt

      On 4/18/06, marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
      I am gearing up for this weekend's Pittsburgh Comicon and I am going
      to take the suggestion that was offered to me last year, by picking
      up a sketchbook.

      My follow-up question's would be, "What is the perfect Sketch Book
      size to buy? Are there certain sizes that artist's don't like?
      Obviously, you have to leave your sketch book with the artist...How
      do you reclaim it? That weekend? Send it to your address via a Self-
      Adressed Pre-paid envelope?

      Thanks for any help with these additional questions!

      -marveldc1

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com , R Howard <thezeppo1138@...>
      wrote:

      > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
      pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
      Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
      also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
      con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
      time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
      George Perez does a lot of his at night.

      > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
      you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
      probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
      probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
      marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
      artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

      > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
      sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
      small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
      in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
      up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
      if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
      Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
      sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
      sketches though.

      > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
      At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
      where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
      Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
      some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
      artists don't have time to sketch.

      > I hope that helps.
      >
      > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
      > Hello All!
      >
      >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
      > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
      artists
      > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
      that
      > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
      the
      > more difficult to obtain.
      >
      >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
      > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
      in
      > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
      that
      > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
      my
      > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
      favorite
      > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
      for
      > any and all advice!
      >
      > -marveldc1

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Mail
      >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      --
      sh@dy

    • James Rowe
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 19, 2006
        Last year Mark texeria did a sketch for me on a comic
        board. I took and put in a sketch book using phot
        holders.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • jerry self
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 19, 2006
          i have stickers on the outside of mine (love those white apples that came with my powerbook) and i have a piece of paper taped to the inside with myname and phone#

          most of them if you leave the book will write down name and what you want

          i think the size on mine is 10x14 or so

          wrote:

          > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
          pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
          Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
          also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
          con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
          time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
          George Perez does a lot of his at night.

          > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
          you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
          probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
          probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
          marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
          artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

          > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
          sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
          small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
          in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
          up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
          if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
          Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
          sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
          sketches though.

          > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
          At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
          where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
          Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
          some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
          artists don't have time to sketch.

          > I hope that helps.
          >
          > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
          > Hello All!
          >
          >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
          > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
          artists
          > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
          that
          > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
          the
          > more difficult to obtain.
          >
          >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
          > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
          in
          > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
          that
          > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
          my
          > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
          favorite
          > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
          for
          > any and all advice!
          >
          > -marveldc1

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Mail
          >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

          www.jjsphotos.com
          www.geocities.com/jjsdc03

          Celebrate Earth Day everyday! Discover 10 things you can do to help slow climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day

        • leroy dedominicis
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 19, 2006
            yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt gonna make the con!
            i was gettin 3  pieces done from him but he says his work schedule is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
            too bad gene is fantastic!

            wrote:

            > It totally depends on the artist and the convention.  As Chad
            pointed out, your best bet is to get to a more popular artist (like
            Perez, Linsner, Adam Hughes, etc.) as early as possible.  You're
            also more likely to get a sketch from these artists if you're at the
            con for more than one day as between signing books and personal
            time, they can probably only do a few sketches each day.  I know
            George Perez does a lot of his at night.

            > Fees also very depending on the popularity of the artist and what
            you want sketched.  The more popular the artist, the more you'll
            probably pay and the more elaborate the sketch, the more you'll
            probably pay.  I paid $100 for Adam Hughes to do a full-figure
            marker sketch at a convention a few years ago.  Some aspiring
            artists will do a pencil sketch for you for as little as $15 though.

            > Your best bet to get inexpensive, and sometimes even free,
            sketches is to get yourself a sketch book.  If you're happy with a
            small, simple sketch from an artist, they'll often do one for free
            in your sketch book because A) they assume you're not going to rip
            up your sketch book to sell a relatively simple sketch and B) even
            if you do, you're not going to make much.  A couple years ago at San
            Diego Dave Stevens sketched a simple little Rocketeer head in my
            sketch book for free.  I don't think he was doing any eleborate
            sketches though.

            > Which brings me to my final point - it depends on the convention.
            At a convention where the artist expects to have long lines, or
            where they go to do business, they often won't do sketches at all.
            Pittsburgh is just the right size convention though - they attract
            some really good artists, but the crowds aren't so huge that the
            artists don't have time to sketch.

            > I hope that helps.
            >
            > marveldc1 <marveldc1@...> wrote:
            > Hello All!
            >
            >      I am new to this whole convention thing, with this past
            > Pittsburgh convention being my first. As I understand it, some
            artists
            > will do some sketching for a nominal fee. It is understandable
            that
            > the more popular the artist, the higher the demand, and therefore
            the
            > more difficult to obtain.
            >
            >      For example, I would have liked to get a sketch of either the
            > Beast or Jericho as rendered by George Perez. While I was standing
            in
            > line waiting to get his autograph, I overheard him say to a fan
            that
            > he was all booked up (and this was around 12:00 PM Saturday.) So
            my
            > question is what does one have to do to get a sketch by their
            favorite
            > artist? How does one sign up? What is the fee? Thanks in advance
            for
            > any and all advice!
            >
            > -marveldc1

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Mail
            >  Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            sh@dy

          • Anthony
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 20, 2006
              I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation.

              According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
              weekend.

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, leroy dedominicis
              <collector1204@...> wrote:

              > yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt
              gonna make the con!
              > i was gettin 3 pieces done from him but he says his work schedule
              is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
              > too bad gene is fantastic!
            • leroy dedominicis
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 20, 2006
                are you serious?!!!
                that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
                man life sucks.lol
                is that positive that hughes isnt coming?

                <collector1204@...> wrote:

                > yes gene is a must but he emailed me the other day to say he isnt
                gonna make the con!
                >   i was gettin 3  pieces done from him but he says his work schedule
                is too full right now and has to back out of the con.
                >   too bad gene is fantastic!

              • Anthony
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 20, 2006
                  Sadly, yes.
                  Allison, Adam's girlfriend, posted apologies for the cancelation, so
                  it seems definite.

                  <collector1204@...> wrote:

                  > are you serious?!!!
                  > that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
                  > man life sucks.lol
                  > is that positive that hughes isnt coming?
                  >
                  > Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
                  > I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation.
                  >
                  > According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
                  > weekend.
                • leroy dedominicis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 20, 2006
                    son of a bugger!!lol lol
                    oh well. guess that leaves a few more dollars for other stuff. hopefully i can get a comission or 2 from george perez.

                    <collector1204@...> wrote:

                    > are you serious?!!!
                    >   that was one of the main reasons i was goin.
                    >   man life sucks.lol
                    >   is that positive that hughes isnt coming?
                    >
                    > Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
                    >   I've heard about another unfortunate cancelation.
                    >
                    > According to his message board, Adam Hughes will not be attending this
                    > weekend.

                  • jerry self
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 22, 2006
                      1) adam will be full by an hour after the show opens, if you want a full sketch from him, go to him VERY first thing

                      2) an option to a sketch book is comic book backing boards the rough side is VERY good for sketches