Re: If you need a reason to attend the '06 Pittsburgh Comicon

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
      That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
      want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
      donations a nice boost.

      But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
      draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the convention.
      I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
      their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
      forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
      other fans.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@...>
      wrote:

      > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
      > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
      Wish so
      > dig deep.
      >
      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
      wrote:

      > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
      Regarding
      > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
      went
      > for less than $200 - $250.

    • mangoman42
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
        I totally agree about the Queen and King of Broadsword being at the
        Pittsburgh con! Can't wait to see you guys again!

        As far as the auction goes... for that cover art I would be suprised
        if Mike didn't START the bidding at $200-$250.... With it being a
        big artistlike Jim, the flyer cover, and a sexy picture to boot I'll
        bet it goes for the $700-$800 range minimum. Which is a bargain!

        I know that Holly and Jim sent some PRINTS last year and they went
        for over $100 (because I was furiously bidding on them...) :)

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

        > That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
        > want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
        > donations a nice boost.
        >
        > But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
        > draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the
        convention.
        > I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
        > their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
        > forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
        > other fans.
        >

        > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for
        the
        > > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
        > Wish so
        > > dig deep.
        > >
        > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
        > Regarding
        > > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
        > went
        > > for less than $200 - $250.

      • Will Crites
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
          I was originally going to the anime con a couple weeks before, but when I found Jim and Holly were returning I changed my plans. Last years con just didn't seem the same wih their not being there.

          Will

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
            Sorry for the long delay, just got back to Yahoo. I was in Orlando
            for Megacon, another great show for buying art from a charity auction.
            Won the cover art for Supergirl 4, by Ian Churchhill, very nice piece
            and good price.

            But anywho..back to Pittsburgh. I recall the prices for the Perez
            Titans piece to be $2500. The Patrick Block Uncle Scrooge was somewhere
            between $1500-2000. The Strangers in Paradise art was indeed won by the
            Promoter. I dont recall the price, however the bidding was furious due
            to the fact he did not own any other Terry Moore pieces. If you plan on
            bidding on anything the promoters want, expect to pay a premium. He
            will usually win, however he has been known to lose out on some of his
            prizes. To be noted he does not currently own only 2-3 of the pieces
            that have graced his program covers. Most recently the Patrick Block
            cover from 2004, celebrating Donald Duck's 70th birthday, which by the
            way will NOT show up on E-Bay..

            Hi Holly, welcome back to Pittsburgh! :-)

            As for the Quick sketch, all of those pieces were won for $1.00.
            They sell raffle tickets for CBLDF, and have a drawing, each ticket
            costs $1.00. A group of artist gather for 1 hour and "draw", taking
            audience suggestions along the way. The artists have been known to be
            very creative in a short time. Most usually finish about 4 pieces, some
            finish up to 10, yes in 1 hour! At the end of the hour, they just start
            drawing tickets..and if your number comes up...YOU WIN! Real easy and
            lots of fun. Highly recommended!

            Also to note, for sketches from artists, get there early. They only
            have a limited time at the show, and please allow for "potty breaks"
            and food breaks. They are human also, not drawing machines. Please be
            courteous and polite, it will make it more enjoyable for all! If their
            schedule is full, just say "thanks" or "no problem" there is no need to
            create a situation where the artist or the fan feels like they do not
            want to return to this wonderful show. Prices for sketches range from
            Free to upwards of $100.00. So be prepared!

            Sorry to ramble, but I really enjoy this show and all of the guests
            that take time from their busy schedules to help make it more
            successful every year. I make every attempt to support this show and
            have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
            Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!

            Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
            any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

            Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

            Donald

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con. Do you happen to
            > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
            >
            > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
            > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how much
            > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?
            >
            > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a
            look, it
            > > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!
          • Jim Balent Studios
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
              Hi Don!
              oh I bet fl was beautiful!
              :-) (envy)
              Holly

              ducky1560 wrote:

> [...]

                 Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
              any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                 Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

              Donald

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
              > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
              >
              > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
              > Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
              > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?
              >
              > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a
              look, it
              > > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

            • ducky1560
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                Hi Holly!
                Orlando in Feb. can't be beat! lol...(tan lines)

                Only thing that could have been better, Broadsword at Megacon. ;-)
                But I guess it will make Pittsburgh that much nicer.
                Quote "See ya real soon!"

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > > have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                > > Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!
                > >
                > > Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win
                somthing at
                > > any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)
                > >
                > > Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great
                one!

                > > Donald
                > >

                > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con. Do you
                happen to
                > > > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                > > >
                > > > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer
                cover by
                > > > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how
                much
                > > > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?

                t=ms&k=Comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+arti
                st&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=1
                27&.sig=OpThui_IhXDzWstTJVOg0A>
                > > Comic book store
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Comic+book+store&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                =6&s=127&.sig=nKqnhIkTysf7_V64BNFhpQ>
                > > Comic book artist
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Comic+book+artist&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+bo
                ok+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&
                c=6&s=127&.sig=Mn5zVvmlB-oujpjFi5awQw>

                > > Comic book cover
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Comic+book+cover&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                =6&s=127&.sig=4wWXUU5lS_sVoxMBg-FnTw>
                > > Comic book for sale
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Comic+book+for+sale&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+
                book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+boo
                k&c=6&s=127&.sig=bfQkRldv0ApuZSBHRo7POQ>
                > > Dc comic book
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Dc+comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+a
                rtist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&
                s=127&.sig=RtNS93Aa0-zC1k_qJDwmoA>

                subject=Unsubscribe>

                ------

              • Jim Balent Studios
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                  that's way rough for us
                  I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                  so when we're down there
                  (every year)
                  it's for fun only!
                  but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                  Holly
                • ducky1560
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                    I noticed the photos in Tarot 32-33 in Orlando. I was there that
                    same week. Didn't see you guys. :-(

                    I would have recognized you, and said hello! I would notice the
                    Beautiful High Preistess of Broadsword anywhere. (drool)

                    Don.

                    wrote:

                    > that's way rough for us
                    > I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                    > so when we're down there
                    > (every year)
                    > it's for fun only!
                    > but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                    > Holly

                  • Jim Balent Studios
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                      bummer