Re: [pittscomicon] Re: If you need a reason to attend the '06 Pittsburgh Comicon

  • R Howard
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
      I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.  Regarding Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it went for less than $200 - $250.

      Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
      Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
      recall how much some of those auction items went for?

      Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
      Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
      it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@...> wrote:

      > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a look, it
      > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

      Comic bookComic book storeComic book artist
      Comic book coverComic book for saleDc comic book

    • hellboypi
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
        The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
        flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-Wish so
        dig deep.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@...> wrote:

        > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there. Regarding
        Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it went
        for less than $200 - $250.

        > Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote: Thanks for posting the pics from last
        year's con. Do you happen to
        > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
        >
        > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
        > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how much
        > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?
      • Anthony
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
          That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
          want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
          donations a nice boost.

          But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
          draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the convention.
          I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
          their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
          forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
          other fans.

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@...>
          wrote:

          > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
          > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
          Wish so
          > dig deep.
          >
          > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
          wrote:

          > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
          Regarding
          > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
          went
          > for less than $200 - $250.

        • mangoman42
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
            I totally agree about the Queen and King of Broadsword being at the
            Pittsburgh con! Can't wait to see you guys again!

            As far as the auction goes... for that cover art I would be suprised
            if Mike didn't START the bidding at $200-$250.... With it being a
            big artistlike Jim, the flyer cover, and a sexy picture to boot I'll
            bet it goes for the $700-$800 range minimum. Which is a bargain!

            I know that Holly and Jim sent some PRINTS last year and they went
            for over $100 (because I was furiously bidding on them...) :)

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

            > That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
            > want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
            > donations a nice boost.
            >
            > But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
            > draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the
            convention.
            > I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
            > their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
            > forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
            > other fans.
            >

            > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for
            the
            > > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
            > Wish so
            > > dig deep.
            > >
            > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
            > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
            > Regarding
            > > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
            > went
            > > for less than $200 - $250.

          • Will Crites
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
              I was originally going to the anime con a couple weeks before, but when I found Jim and Holly were returning I changed my plans. Last years con just didn't seem the same wih their not being there.

              Will

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                Sorry for the long delay, just got back to Yahoo. I was in Orlando
                for Megacon, another great show for buying art from a charity auction.
                Won the cover art for Supergirl 4, by Ian Churchhill, very nice piece
                and good price.

                But anywho..back to Pittsburgh. I recall the prices for the Perez
                Titans piece to be $2500. The Patrick Block Uncle Scrooge was somewhere
                between $1500-2000. The Strangers in Paradise art was indeed won by the
                Promoter. I dont recall the price, however the bidding was furious due
                to the fact he did not own any other Terry Moore pieces. If you plan on
                bidding on anything the promoters want, expect to pay a premium. He
                will usually win, however he has been known to lose out on some of his
                prizes. To be noted he does not currently own only 2-3 of the pieces
                that have graced his program covers. Most recently the Patrick Block
                cover from 2004, celebrating Donald Duck's 70th birthday, which by the
                way will NOT show up on E-Bay..

                Hi Holly, welcome back to Pittsburgh! :-)

                As for the Quick sketch, all of those pieces were won for $1.00.
                They sell raffle tickets for CBLDF, and have a drawing, each ticket
                costs $1.00. A group of artist gather for 1 hour and "draw", taking
                audience suggestions along the way. The artists have been known to be
                very creative in a short time. Most usually finish about 4 pieces, some
                finish up to 10, yes in 1 hour! At the end of the hour, they just start
                drawing tickets..and if your number comes up...YOU WIN! Real easy and
                lots of fun. Highly recommended!

                Also to note, for sketches from artists, get there early. They only
                have a limited time at the show, and please allow for "potty breaks"
                and food breaks. They are human also, not drawing machines. Please be
                courteous and polite, it will make it more enjoyable for all! If their
                schedule is full, just say "thanks" or "no problem" there is no need to
                create a situation where the artist or the fan feels like they do not
                want to return to this wonderful show. Prices for sketches range from
                Free to upwards of $100.00. So be prepared!

                Sorry to ramble, but I really enjoy this show and all of the guests
                that take time from their busy schedules to help make it more
                successful every year. I make every attempt to support this show and
                have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!

                Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
                any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

                Donald

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con. Do you happen to
                > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                >
                > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
                > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how much
                > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?
                >
                > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a
                look, it
                > > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!
              • Jim Balent Studios
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Hi Don!
                  oh I bet fl was beautiful!
                  :-) (envy)
                  Holly

                  ducky1560 wrote:

> [...]

                     Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
                  any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                     Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

                  Donald

                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
                  > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                  >
                  > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
                  > Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
                  > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?
                  >
                  > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a
                  look, it
                  > > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

                • ducky1560
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                    Hi Holly!
                    Orlando in Feb. can't be beat! lol...(tan lines)

                    Only thing that could have been better, Broadsword at Megacon. ;-)
                    But I guess it will make Pittsburgh that much nicer.
                    Quote "See ya real soon!"

                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                    > > Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!
                    > >
                    > > Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win
                    somthing at
                    > > any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)
                    > >
                    > > Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great
                    one!

                    > > Donald
                    > >

                    > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con. Do you
                    happen to
                    > > > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                    > > >
                    > > > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer
                    cover by
                    > > > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how
                    much
                    > > > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?

                    t=ms&k=Comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+arti
                    st&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=1
                    27&.sig=OpThui_IhXDzWstTJVOg0A>
                    > > Comic book store
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Comic+book+store&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                    k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                    =6&s=127&.sig=nKqnhIkTysf7_V64BNFhpQ>
                    > > Comic book artist
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Comic+book+artist&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+bo
                    ok+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&
                    c=6&s=127&.sig=Mn5zVvmlB-oujpjFi5awQw>

                    > > Comic book cover
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Comic+book+cover&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                    k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                    =6&s=127&.sig=4wWXUU5lS_sVoxMBg-FnTw>
                    > > Comic book for sale
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Comic+book+for+sale&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+
                    book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+boo
                    k&c=6&s=127&.sig=bfQkRldv0ApuZSBHRo7POQ>
                    > > Dc comic book
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Dc+comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+a
                    rtist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&
                    s=127&.sig=RtNS93Aa0-zC1k_qJDwmoA>

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    ------

                  • Jim Balent Studios
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                      that's way rough for us
                      I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                      so when we're down there
                      (every year)
                      it's for fun only!
                      but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                      Holly
                    • ducky1560
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                        I noticed the photos in Tarot 32-33 in Orlando. I was there that
                        same week. Didn't see you guys. :-(

                        I would have recognized you, and said hello! I would notice the
                        Beautiful High Preistess of Broadsword anywhere. (drool)

                        Don.

                        wrote:

                        > that's way rough for us
                        > I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                        > so when we're down there
                        > (every year)
                        > it's for fun only!
                        > but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                        > Holly

                      • Jim Balent Studios
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                          bummer