Re: [pittscomicon] Vendors

  • bsimon9427
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2013
      here is my gripe.

      my gf has never been to a comicon before. we cosplay at steelcity con all the time and try to get attention over at my buddies booth so she isnt a stranger to this type of thing. so i say im going to take her and show her what its all about and she thought it was a great idea and went to work on making a new costume. i spent a week making her some weapons to go along with it. explained to her about the contest and what not and said the cool thing is if you go in costume on Sunday its free.

      so we gear up, put the final touches on in the parking, hike up to the front door, roast in the sun waiting in line get our arm bands. the lady in the booth says that will be 40 bux. so i say its always been free on Sunday for cosplayers, i even checked your web site and it doesn't say anymore if its free or not and when i called the phone number on the site the phone just rings and rings. she said well its only free if you bring food for the food drive. so after trying to dig out my wallet and not succeeding <cant get my hand in my pocket with my gear on> my gf managed to pull a credit card out of her suit. then the lady goes oh debit cards have to be done in the back entrance marked VIP. im like why isnt there a sign back there or somewhere letting us know that before i already walked past that door and waited in line here. she points to the glass and says there is a sign right there. if i didnt have a mask on she would have seen the disgust on my face and death stare in my eyes.

      i would have loved to donated food for a food drive, not even just for the free entry, but no where did i find anything about that so not tearing off half our gear, driving to the supermarket, looking like fools buying canned goods we just said screw it, paid the 40 bux to get in. we got there about 1230. walked around till 130 then went and sat down waiting for the contest to start. after that we took one lap around the place and decided to leave because about half of the vendors were packing up or had already gone. so there went trying to find last minute deals. i like to do my shopping at the end of the day anyway so im not carrying bags around all day in costume, plus makes it easier when the hordes of people stop us for pix. which was cool, people took a bunch of us.

      all in all she said she had a good time, but she has nothing to judge a comicon off of as this was her first. but she did agree with me it wasn't anything special or overly exciting aside from talking with other cosplayers and the people who took our pictures. i told her i come maybe every other year anymore if that because the guests never change and the special guests have huge lines im not willing to wait for to meet and usually its no one i "just have to see", peaking over people and going yep seen him works for me lol plus it seems while the price of admission goes up things dont change. well except for the odd table lay out. few times we were like did we walk down this one already and check it out.

      will we come back next year? me probly not. if she wants to defiantly lol

      met some new friends, chatted with some old cosplay buddies, got to hang out with my lady, took a ton of pix with random people. thats what i liked the most. sadly i didnt see anything i just had to have there so we didnt buy anything from vendors or artists which sucks bc id like to give them money and support their hard work but we just werent totally blown away and with all the art work and comics and what not we already have there isnt room for oh thats nice, if its something i just have to have then fine. space dictates purchase's anymore.

      anyone else have their 2 cents they want to add good or bad on their time spent at the 2013 con?

      see you all next year...maybe,
      bart

      In a message dated 9/30/2013 10:32:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wildstorm3@... writes:

       Really enjoyed the show. Got a Talon commission by Eddy Barrows (very cool guy), a Robins piece from McDaniel and a Joker and a Harley from Balent.

      My only gripe is with the 3-day tickets and early entry. What is the point of getting an early entry to be one of the first in line to your favorite person when after they let you in you get to that person and there are vendors already in line. This happened to me Saturday and Sunday. I was second in line at early entrance. I went to get a sketch by Balent (because I had a 1pm appointment to get my Batman Tattoo). I get to Balent's line and there were 10 vendors already in line not only to get sketches (which will probably be sold) but also had 30-40 books to be signed (again to be sold probably). This also happened Sunday. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get a sketch from Balent (he's just so damn good). I don't think vendors should be able to get in line before all those who bought tickets to e nter a 1/2 hour early. I believe they should have to wait fr general admission to be able to get in line. I mean if a vendor can get really early entrance to a line for somebody than next year I am going to get a vendor spot so I can get in line before everyone else. I eventually got what I wanted from Balent at the end of Sunday but had to miss out on meeting some others due to there being vendors in the lines before early admission.

    • Troy Gardner
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
        Totally agree with you. I came on Friday, got to the show about 2:15. I got in Broadsword line because knew it would be long. Wasn't looking to get a sketch from Jim because I knew he would take some time. I just passed on my books to get signed and got a sketch from Holly. On Saturday, got there at 930 to get in line and there were people already in line. So I bypass because, I had other stuff planned to attend. On Sunday, again got there at 9:00 to watch some of the zombies come in and went inside at 925, and there were vendors in line. I stood for a few moments, but left because I wanted to attend quick sketch. I love Jim and Holly but the vendors should try to get the sketches done on Thursday night, or wait for the general openings.

        I will attend again because I go mostly for the enjoyment of the friends I made and the comics. Also it is big enough to get some great talent but small enough that you do get to spend some moments talking to the talent and socializing with them at the evening events.

[...]

      • wildstorm3
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2013

          Aaaaaand this is the reason that vendors should have to wait until general admission to get in and stop blocking all those who purchased early admission.

          http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALKING-DEAD-MICHONNE-ZOMBIE-TWD-ORIGINAL-TIGHT-PENCIL-ART-JIM-BALENT-TAROT-/370912350208?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565c195000

          Now I know its their prerogative to sell whatever but when they stand in line an hour before anyone is able to enter and early entry is finally allowed and you reach someone you want to see and see 10 vendors standing in line already....

          And this is also another reason why it is so damn hard to get anybody to do anything at shows or even show up or even be able to afford something ie. Adam Hughes, eBas, etc.

          ---In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, <sugarlandkid13@...> wrote:

[...]

        • datlocolatino

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2013

              I am not saying that vendors should not be allowed to get in line for anything.  I am saying that they should have to wait until the doors open for the general public and not be allowed into any lines before those who bought the early entry.

              Maybe this is why Fridays start changed from 10am to 1pm a few years ago.  I was told it was because vendor were complaining that they didn't have enough time to set up (even though they could set up on Thursday).  I think they were complaining that they didn't have enough time to set up and then jump in line before everybody else because they would lose their chance to get something.

              And I know that it isn't my place to complain about selling pieces they bought at a show but to sell a FREE piece that an artist spent their time on to go and sell it for $300+ is outrageous.  If the artist started charging that much to get a sketch done then no one who actually collects and appreciates the artist and their work would never get a chance to get one unless they pay an outrageous price for it.  This is why you can't get an Adam Hughes anymore and why artists like Ebas now charges $300 for a piece (which a few years ago he was doing free until he saw them all over Ebay).

              So if anyone from the show actually reads these conversations, please change the policy on vendors and have them wait until the 1pm or 10am start time and not be able to jump in line before those who get the early entry.  If not, then I was thinking of getting the smallest table, grab a box of comics (I do have a box of about 100 sets of X-Men #1 from Jim Lee) and put them on the table for people to take so that I can then line jump early every morning.  No, not really I enjoy the show too much and this is the only one I am able to go to.

              ---In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, <datlocolatino@...> wrote:

[...]

            • dugger_rockz