Re: Online Show Info Access

  • uss_escort
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
      I actually did think about creating a mobile website at one point, Andrew. However, my end logic was that a mobile website would still suffer from same lag that we experience with the main website. The potential of the product we are looking at would allow us to update the app contents on the fly and push out updates to users, as well as, provide event updates via message pushes. Thanks for your input, it helps me identify what type of service we need to look for and try to get up and running.

      TJ

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Harmon wrote:

      > What about a mobile website instead of an app? Wizard tried something with
      > an app and I thought it would work well but I never touched it as it wasn't
      > updated. I think the biggest thing is the folks that create this actually
      > be committed to the up-to-date operations of it. Otherwise it'll just be an
      > app with outdated info. Show reminders/notifications via text or some such
      > would be awesome since people may not be able to hear the PA system of
      > things going on at the show. They could subscribe to specific events,
      > signings or what not, whether through Twitter or Facebook feeds as well.
      >

      > On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM, uss_escort wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > OK crew, we are looking at a number of possibilities for creating a better
      > > online presence for the Comicon. With the number of smartphones and
      > > iwhatevers out there, we have to find what path will give us the biggest
      > > bang for the buck. The Pittsburgh Comicon website,
      > > www.pittsburghcomicon.com, is the primary contact point for show info and
      > > updates. Then, there are Patrick's update emails, which everyone looks
      > > forward too.
      > >
      > > I am trying to get a feel for how many of you would be interested in a
      > > downloadable app, Apple and Android compatible, that would act like a
      > > 'virtual' program guide, provide up-to-minute cancellation info, allow you
      > > to post on facebook or tweet within the app about the show, provide a map
      > > of the showfloor, facilities and surrounding Monroeville area, and a
      > > contain a list of vendors and guests, with info on each. Give me your
      > > thoughts, positive or negative and why, as we really want to gauge the
      > > usefulness of this opportunity to our fans.

    • Derek Kirby
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
        This is a good idea BUT not everyone has a smartphone so you can NOT forget about those people and leave them out in the dark.

        I actually did think about creating a mobile website at one point, Andrew. However, my end logic was that a mobile website would still suffer from same lag that we experience with the main website. The potential of the product we are looking at would allow us to update the app contents on the fly and push out updates to users, as well as, provide event updates via message pushes. Thanks for your input, it helps me identify what type of service we need to look for and try to get up and running.

        TJ

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Harmon wrote:

        > What about a mobile website instead of an app? Wizard tried something with
        > an app and I thought it would work well but I never touched it as it wasn't
        > updated. I think the biggest thing is the folks that create this actually
        > be committed to the up-to-date operations of it. Otherwise it'll just be an
        > app with outdated info. Show reminders/notifications via text or some such
        > would be awesome since people may not be able to hear the PA system of
        > things going on at the show. They could subscribe to specific events,
        > signings or what not, whether through Twitter or Facebook feeds as well.
        >

        > On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM, uss_escort wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > OK crew, we are looking at a number of possibilities for creating a better
        > > online presence for the Comicon. With the number of smartphones and
        > > iwhatevers out there, we have to find what path will give us the biggest
        > > bang for the buck. The Pittsburgh Comicon website,
        > > www.pittsburghcomicon.com, is the primary contact point for show info and
        > > updates. Then, there are Patrick's update emails, which everyone looks
        > > forward too.
        > >
        > > I am trying to get a feel for how many of you would be interested in a
        > > downloadable app, Apple and Android compatible, that would act like a
        > > 'virtual' program guide, provide up-to-minute cancellation info, allow you
        > > to post on facebook or tweet within the app about the show, provide a map
        > > of the showfloor, facilities and surrounding Monroeville area, and a
        > > contain a list of vendors and guests, with info on each. Give me your
        > > thoughts, positive or negative and why, as we really want to gauge the
        > > usefulness of this opportunity to our fans.

      • Samantha Mauk
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
          I love the idea of push notifications during con, I find myself scrambling to get places after I realize oh darn this panel starts in like 2 minutes also if someone could figure out how to do the text notifications for those without smartphones you're covering them too, like the 6 number services that companies use to send out stuff via text. "Text CON to 555-555" for example.

          Sent from my iPhone