Re: If you need a reason to attend the '06 Pittsburgh Comicon

  • Dirk...Dirk Diggler
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 24, 2006
      Ive gotten sketches from Jim and Holly in the past and not only are
      they great artists but great people as well.Theyre always kind to
      everyone. And They always have really cool loot at their booth so
      iwould recommend stopping by.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

      > Hi Holly,
      >
      > No problem there. I just buy his art off of ebay :-)
      >
      > As you know, Jim's art is hard to come by, so I'm just salivating
      at
      > seeing a finished piece available. I expect demand will be quite
      high
      > since you have so many fans in Pittsburgh.
      >
      > Hope you two have a nice time at the NY Con.
      >
      > -Anthony
      >
      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@>
      wrote:

      > > Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
      > > Holly G!

    • Jim Balent Studios
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 26, 2006
        -blush-
        thank you Dirk

        Dirk...Dirk Diggler wrote:
        Ive gotten sketches from Jim and Holly in the past and not only are
        they great artists but great people as well.Theyre always kind to
        everyone. And They always have really cool loot at  their booth so
        iwould recommend stopping by.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

        > Hi Holly,
        >
        > No problem there. I just buy his art off of ebay :-)
        >
        > As you know, Jim's art is hard to come by, so I'm just salivating
        at
        > seeing a finished piece available.  I expect demand will be quite
        high
        > since you have so many fans in Pittsburgh.
        >
        > Hope you two have a nice time at the NY Con.
        >
        > -Anthony
        >
        > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@>
        wrote:

        > > Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
        > > Holly G!

      • R Howard
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
          I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.  Regarding Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it went for less than $200 - $250.

          Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
          Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
          recall how much some of those auction items went for?

          Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
          Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
          it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@...> wrote:

          > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a look, it
          > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

          Comic bookComic book storeComic book artist
          Comic book coverComic book for saleDc comic book

        • hellboypi
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
            The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
            flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-Wish so
            dig deep.

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@...> wrote:

            > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there. Regarding
            Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it went
            for less than $200 - $250.

            > Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote: Thanks for posting the pics from last
            year's con. Do you happen to
            > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
            >
            > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
            > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how much
            > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?
          • Anthony
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
              That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
              want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
              donations a nice boost.

              But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
              draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the convention.
              I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
              their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
              forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
              other fans.

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@...>
              wrote:

              > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
              > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
              Wish so
              > dig deep.
              >
              > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
              wrote:

              > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
              Regarding
              > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
              went
              > for less than $200 - $250.

            • mangoman42
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                I totally agree about the Queen and King of Broadsword being at the
                Pittsburgh con! Can't wait to see you guys again!

                As far as the auction goes... for that cover art I would be suprised
                if Mike didn't START the bidding at $200-$250.... With it being a
                big artistlike Jim, the flyer cover, and a sexy picture to boot I'll
                bet it goes for the $700-$800 range minimum. Which is a bargain!

                I know that Holly and Jim sent some PRINTS last year and they went
                for over $100 (because I was furiously bidding on them...) :)

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                > That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
                > want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
                > donations a nice boost.
                >
                > But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
                > draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the
                convention.
                > I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
                > their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
                > forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
                > other fans.
                >

                > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for
                the
                > > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
                > Wish so
                > > dig deep.
                > >
                > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
                > Regarding
                > > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
                > went
                > > for less than $200 - $250.

              • Will Crites
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
                  I was originally going to the anime con a couple weeks before, but when I found Jim and Holly were returning I changed my plans. Last years con just didn't seem the same wih their not being there.

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                    Sorry for the long delay, just got back to Yahoo. I was in Orlando
                    for Megacon, another great show for buying art from a charity auction.
                    Won the cover art for Supergirl 4, by Ian Churchhill, very nice piece
                    and good price.

                    But anywho..back to Pittsburgh. I recall the prices for the Perez
                    Titans piece to be $2500. The Patrick Block Uncle Scrooge was somewhere
                    between $1500-2000. The Strangers in Paradise art was indeed won by the
                    Promoter. I dont recall the price, however the bidding was furious due
                    to the fact he did not own any other Terry Moore pieces. If you plan on
                    bidding on anything the promoters want, expect to pay a premium. He
                    will usually win, however he has been known to lose out on some of his
                    prizes. To be noted he does not currently own only 2-3 of the pieces
                    that have graced his program covers. Most recently the Patrick Block
                    cover from 2004, celebrating Donald Duck's 70th birthday, which by the
                    way will NOT show up on E-Bay..

                    Hi Holly, welcome back to Pittsburgh! :-)

                    As for the Quick sketch, all of those pieces were won for $1.00.
                    They sell raffle tickets for CBLDF, and have a drawing, each ticket
                    costs $1.00. A group of artist gather for 1 hour and "draw", taking
                    audience suggestions along the way. The artists have been known to be
                    very creative in a short time. Most usually finish about 4 pieces, some
                    finish up to 10, yes in 1 hour! At the end of the hour, they just start
                    drawing tickets..and if your number comes up...YOU WIN! Real easy and
                    lots of fun. Highly recommended!

                    Also to note, for sketches from artists, get there early. They only
                    have a limited time at the show, and please allow for "potty breaks"
                    and food breaks. They are human also, not drawing machines. Please be
                    courteous and polite, it will make it more enjoyable for all! If their
                    schedule is full, just say "thanks" or "no problem" there is no need to
                    create a situation where the artist or the fan feels like they do not
                    want to return to this wonderful show. Prices for sketches range from
                    Free to upwards of $100.00. So be prepared!

                    Sorry to ramble, but I really enjoy this show and all of the guests
                    that take time from their busy schedules to help make it more
                    successful every year. I make every attempt to support this show and
                    have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                    Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!

                    Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
                    any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                    Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

                    Donald

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                      Hi Don!
                      oh I bet fl was beautiful!
                      :-) (envy)
                      Holly

                      ducky1560 wrote:

> [...]

                         Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
                      any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                         Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

                      Donald

                      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
                      > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                      >
                      > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
                      > Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
                      > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?
                      >
                      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a
                      look, it
                      > > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

                    • ducky1560
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                        Hi Holly!
                        Orlando in Feb. can't be beat! lol...(tan lines)

                        Only thing that could have been better, Broadsword at Megacon. ;-)
                        But I guess it will make Pittsburgh that much nicer.
                        Quote "See ya real soon!"

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                        > > Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!
                        > >
                        > > Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win
                        somthing at
                        > > any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)
                        > >
                        > > Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great
                        one!

                        > > Donald
                        > >

                        > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con. Do you
                        happen to
                        > > > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                        > > >
                        > > > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer
                        cover by
                        > > > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how
                        much
                        > > > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?

                        t=ms&k=Comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+arti
                        st&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=1
                        27&.sig=OpThui_IhXDzWstTJVOg0A>
                        > > Comic book store
                        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Comic+book+store&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                        k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                        =6&s=127&.sig=nKqnhIkTysf7_V64BNFhpQ>
                        > > Comic book artist
                        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Comic+book+artist&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+bo
                        ok+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&
                        c=6&s=127&.sig=Mn5zVvmlB-oujpjFi5awQw>

                        > > Comic book cover
                        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Comic+book+cover&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                        k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                        =6&s=127&.sig=4wWXUU5lS_sVoxMBg-FnTw>
                        > > Comic book for sale
                        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Comic+book+for+sale&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+
                        book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+boo
                        k&c=6&s=127&.sig=bfQkRldv0ApuZSBHRo7POQ>
                        > > Dc comic book
                        > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Dc+comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+a
                        rtist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&
                        s=127&.sig=RtNS93Aa0-zC1k_qJDwmoA>

                        subject=Unsubscribe>

                        ------

                      • Jim Balent Studios
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                          that's way rough for us
                          I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                          so when we're down there
                          (every year)
                          it's for fun only!
                          but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                          Holly
                        • ducky1560
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                            I noticed the photos in Tarot 32-33 in Orlando. I was there that
                            same week. Didn't see you guys. :-(

                            I would have recognized you, and said hello! I would notice the
                            Beautiful High Preistess of Broadsword anywhere. (drool)

                            Don.

                            wrote:

                            > that's way rough for us
                            > I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                            > so when we're down there
                            > (every year)
                            > it's for fun only!
                            > but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                            > Holly

                          • Jim Balent Studios
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                              bummer