Re: If you need a reason to attend the '06 Pittsburgh Comicon

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 24, 2006
      Hi Holly,

      No problem there. I just buy his art off of ebay :-)

      As you know, Jim's art is hard to come by, so I'm just salivating at
      seeing a finished piece available. I expect demand will be quite high
      since you have so many fans in Pittsburgh.

      Hope you two have a nice time at the NY Con.

      -Anthony

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@...> wrote:

      > Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
      > Holly G!

    • Dirk...Dirk Diggler
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 24, 2006
        Ive gotten sketches from Jim and Holly in the past and not only are
        they great artists but great people as well.Theyre always kind to
        everyone. And They always have really cool loot at their booth so
        iwould recommend stopping by.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

        > Hi Holly,
        >
        > No problem there. I just buy his art off of ebay :-)
        >
        > As you know, Jim's art is hard to come by, so I'm just salivating
        at
        > seeing a finished piece available. I expect demand will be quite
        high
        > since you have so many fans in Pittsburgh.
        >
        > Hope you two have a nice time at the NY Con.
        >
        > -Anthony
        >
        > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@>
        wrote:

        > > Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
        > > Holly G!

      • Jim Balent Studios
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 26, 2006
          -blush-
          thank you Dirk

          Dirk...Dirk Diggler wrote:
          Ive gotten sketches from Jim and Holly in the past and not only are
          they great artists but great people as well.Theyre always kind to
          everyone. And They always have really cool loot at  their booth so
          iwould recommend stopping by.

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

          > Hi Holly,
          >
          > No problem there. I just buy his art off of ebay :-)
          >
          > As you know, Jim's art is hard to come by, so I'm just salivating
          at
          > seeing a finished piece available.  I expect demand will be quite
          high
          > since you have so many fans in Pittsburgh.
          >
          > Hope you two have a nice time at the NY Con.
          >
          > -Anthony
          >
          > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@>
          wrote:

          > > Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
          > > Holly G!

        • R Howard
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
            I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.  Regarding Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it went for less than $200 - $250.

            Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
            Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
            recall how much some of those auction items went for?

            Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
            Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
            it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@...> wrote:

            > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a look, it
            > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

            Comic bookComic book storeComic book artist
            Comic book coverComic book for saleDc comic book

          • hellboypi
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
              The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
              flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-Wish so
              dig deep.

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
                want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
                donations a nice boost.

                But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
                draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the convention.
                I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
                their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
                forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
                other fans.

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@...>
                wrote:

                > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
                > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
                Wish so
                > dig deep.
                >
                > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
                wrote:

                > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
                Regarding
                > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
                went
                > for less than $200 - $250.

              • mangoman42
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                  I totally agree about the Queen and King of Broadsword being at the
                  Pittsburgh con! Can't wait to see you guys again!

                  As far as the auction goes... for that cover art I would be suprised
                  if Mike didn't START the bidding at $200-$250.... With it being a
                  big artistlike Jim, the flyer cover, and a sexy picture to boot I'll
                  bet it goes for the $700-$800 range minimum. Which is a bargain!

                  I know that Holly and Jim sent some PRINTS last year and they went
                  for over $100 (because I was furiously bidding on them...) :)

                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                  > That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
                  > want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
                  > donations a nice boost.
                  >
                  > But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
                  > draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the
                  convention.
                  > I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
                  > their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
                  > forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
                  > other fans.
                  >

                  > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for
                  the
                  > > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
                  > Wish so
                  > > dig deep.
                  > >
                  > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
                  > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
                  > Regarding
                  > > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
                  > went
                  > > for less than $200 - $250.

                • Will Crites
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
                    I was originally going to the anime con a couple weeks before, but when I found Jim and Holly were returning I changed my plans. Last years con just didn't seem the same wih their not being there.

                    Will

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                      Sorry for the long delay, just got back to Yahoo. I was in Orlando
                      for Megacon, another great show for buying art from a charity auction.
                      Won the cover art for Supergirl 4, by Ian Churchhill, very nice piece
                      and good price.

                      But anywho..back to Pittsburgh. I recall the prices for the Perez
                      Titans piece to be $2500. The Patrick Block Uncle Scrooge was somewhere
                      between $1500-2000. The Strangers in Paradise art was indeed won by the
                      Promoter. I dont recall the price, however the bidding was furious due
                      to the fact he did not own any other Terry Moore pieces. If you plan on
                      bidding on anything the promoters want, expect to pay a premium. He
                      will usually win, however he has been known to lose out on some of his
                      prizes. To be noted he does not currently own only 2-3 of the pieces
                      that have graced his program covers. Most recently the Patrick Block
                      cover from 2004, celebrating Donald Duck's 70th birthday, which by the
                      way will NOT show up on E-Bay..

                      Hi Holly, welcome back to Pittsburgh! :-)

                      As for the Quick sketch, all of those pieces were won for $1.00.
                      They sell raffle tickets for CBLDF, and have a drawing, each ticket
                      costs $1.00. A group of artist gather for 1 hour and "draw", taking
                      audience suggestions along the way. The artists have been known to be
                      very creative in a short time. Most usually finish about 4 pieces, some
                      finish up to 10, yes in 1 hour! At the end of the hour, they just start
                      drawing tickets..and if your number comes up...YOU WIN! Real easy and
                      lots of fun. Highly recommended!

                      Also to note, for sketches from artists, get there early. They only
                      have a limited time at the show, and please allow for "potty breaks"
                      and food breaks. They are human also, not drawing machines. Please be
                      courteous and polite, it will make it more enjoyable for all! If their
                      schedule is full, just say "thanks" or "no problem" there is no need to
                      create a situation where the artist or the fan feels like they do not
                      want to return to this wonderful show. Prices for sketches range from
                      Free to upwards of $100.00. So be prepared!

                      Sorry to ramble, but I really enjoy this show and all of the guests
                      that take time from their busy schedules to help make it more
                      successful every year. I make every attempt to support this show and
                      have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                      Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!

                      Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
                      any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                      Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

                      Donald

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                        Hi Don!
                        oh I bet fl was beautiful!
                        :-) (envy)
                        Holly

                        ducky1560 wrote:

> [...]

                           Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
                        any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                           Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

                        Donald

                        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
                        > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                        >
                        > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
                        > Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
                        > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?
                        >
                        > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a
                        look, it
                        > > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

                      • ducky1560
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                          Hi Holly!
                          Orlando in Feb. can't be beat! lol...(tan lines)

                          Only thing that could have been better, Broadsword at Megacon. ;-)
                          But I guess it will make Pittsburgh that much nicer.
                          Quote "See ya real soon!"

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                          > > Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!
                          > >
                          > > Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win
                          somthing at
                          > > any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)
                          > >
                          > > Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great
                          one!

                          > > Donald
                          > >

                          > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con. Do you
                          happen to
                          > > > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                          > > >
                          > > > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer
                          cover by
                          > > > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how
                          much
                          > > > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?

                          t=ms&k=Comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+arti
                          st&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=1
                          27&.sig=OpThui_IhXDzWstTJVOg0A>
                          > > Comic book store
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Comic+book+store&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                          k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                          =6&s=127&.sig=nKqnhIkTysf7_V64BNFhpQ>
                          > > Comic book artist
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Comic+book+artist&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+bo
                          ok+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&
                          c=6&s=127&.sig=Mn5zVvmlB-oujpjFi5awQw>

                          > > Comic book cover
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Comic+book+cover&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                          k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                          =6&s=127&.sig=4wWXUU5lS_sVoxMBg-FnTw>
                          > > Comic book for sale
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Comic+book+for+sale&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+
                          book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+boo
                          k&c=6&s=127&.sig=bfQkRldv0ApuZSBHRo7POQ>
                          > > Dc comic book
                          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Dc+comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+a
                          rtist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&
                          s=127&.sig=RtNS93Aa0-zC1k_qJDwmoA>

                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                          ------

                        • Jim Balent Studios
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                            that's way rough for us
                            I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                            so when we're down there
                            (every year)
                            it's for fun only!
                            but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                            Holly
                          • ducky1560
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                              I noticed the photos in Tarot 32-33 in Orlando. I was there that
                              same week. Didn't see you guys. :-(

                              I would have recognized you, and said hello! I would notice the
                              Beautiful High Preistess of Broadsword anywhere. (drool)

                              Don.

                              wrote:

                              > that's way rough for us
                              > I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                              > so when we're down there
                              > (every year)
                              > it's for fun only!
                              > but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                              > Holly

                            • Jim Balent Studios
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                                bummer