Re: Pittsburgh Comicon 2013 Good or Bad?

  • Donnie
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2012
      I don't see any problem with moving it. You can't really blame it on "other shows" due to the fact that the Boston show last year was a week before the Pittsburgh show which is probably one of the reasons we missed out on some guests. But as for the money issue, it gives you an extra 4 months to save for the show. No matter when the Pittsburgh show is scheduled people will have a problem with it, whether it be the show to close to other shows attended, money, and guests. You just have to choose which one you will enjoy most. If they moved it to December, people will complain its too close to Xmas (or Chanukah), move it to July it will be too hot, move it back to April and you have other Cons at the same time or a week before/after that others attend. Pittsburgh Comicon is doing the best they can with the time they have. Hell, they can either have it in Sept. or just cancel it all-together and disappoint a lot of people.

      This is the only show I attend due to my job. I would love to attend NYCC or SDCC or any of the super-large shows, but this is the one I have attended going on 8 years now. I am kind of disappointed that I will miss a Steelers game that Sunday (hopefully will be the bye week) but I also missed the Washington Capitals Playoff games while the show was going on last year. But we all must make sacrifices.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Josh C. Lyman" <jc_pawz@...> wrote:

      > Yknow very seldomly do I join in on the back and forths here. I understand both reasons for the change (unyielding competition from another show and a personal event for R)
      > But ill be responding as an artist here...I think this change is about 50 50. I can relate to both for avid savings or avid fandom, for me the shift in show dates is much more difficult. As james stated people have just started semesters again so limited funds to enjoy yourself, and dragoncon is a last hurrah in that sense.
      > Not a super fan of the shift but I understand, but I can tell you that baltimore shifted their date almost permanently (that's the way it looks at least) and for the first time I don't think ill be in attendance. Who knows for pitt?
      >
      > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Catwomanmtb
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2012
        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Donnie" <wildstorm3@...> wrote:
        >Wow! That just sound so cold! Donnie!
        > I don't see any problem with moving it. You can't really blame it on "other shows" due to the fact that the Boston show last year was a week before the Pittsburgh show which is probably one of the reasons we missed out on some guests. But as for the money issue, it gives you an extra 4 months to save for the show. No matter when the Pittsburgh show is scheduled people will have a problem with it, whether it be the show to close to other shows attended, money, and guests. You just have to choose which one you will enjoy most. If they moved it to December, people will complain its too close to Xmas (or Chanukah), move it to July it will be too hot, move it back to April and you have other Cons at the same time or a week before/after that others attend. Pittsburgh Comicon is doing the best they can with the time they have. Hell, they can either have it in Sept. or just cancel it all-together and disappoint a lot of people.
        >
        > This is the only show I attend due to my job. I would love to attend NYCC or SDCC or any of the super-large shows, but this is the one I have attended going on 8 years now. I am kind of disappointed that I will miss a Steelers game that Sunday (hopefully will be the bye week) but I also missed the Washington Capitals Playoff games while the show was going on last year. But we all must make sacrifices.
        >
        > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Josh C. Lyman" <jc_pawz@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yknow very seldomly do I join in on the back and forths here. I understand both reasons for the change (unyielding competition from another show and a personal event for R)
        > > But ill be responding as an artist here...I think this change is about 50 50. I can relate to both for avid savings or avid fandom, for me the shift in show dates is much more difficult. As james stated people have just started semesters again so limited funds to enjoy yourself, and dragoncon is a last hurrah in that sense.
        > > Not a super fan of the shift but I understand, but I can tell you that baltimore shifted their date almost permanently (that's the way it looks at least) and for the first time I don't think ill be in attendance. Who knows for pitt?
        > >
        > > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      • Anthony
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2012
          Jim and Holly G are back! OMG, Yeah!!!!

          Those 2 year gaps have been killer, glad next year's show fits their schedule. I certainly don't mind the scheduling change, now.

          ...Any chance Pittsburgh could get ALAN DAVIS in 2013?? He seems like a great con guest. And doesn't do many U.S. shows.

          I think having 3 weeks between Baltimore (9/7 & 9/8 2013) and Pitt should be fine.

          And (Wizard World) Mid-Ohio (Sept 20-22, 2013) is more focused on entertainment guests, and less comic books.