Re: [pittscomicon] Re: If you need a reason to attend the '06 Pittsburgh Comicon

  • Jim Balent Studios
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 24, 2006
      Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
      Holly G!

      Anthony wrote:
      Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
      recall how much some of those auction items went for?

      Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
      Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
      it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@...> wrote:

      > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a look, it
      > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

    • Anthony
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 24, 2006
        Hi Holly,

        No problem there. I just buy his art off of ebay :-)

        As you know, Jim's art is hard to come by, so I'm just salivating at
        seeing a finished piece available. I expect demand will be quite high
        since you have so many fans in Pittsburgh.

        Hope you two have a nice time at the NY Con.

        -Anthony

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@...> wrote:

        > Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
        > Holly G!

      • Dirk...Dirk Diggler
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 24, 2006
          Ive gotten sketches from Jim and Holly in the past and not only are
          they great artists but great people as well.Theyre always kind to
          everyone. And They always have really cool loot at their booth so
          iwould recommend stopping by.

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

          > Hi Holly,
          >
          > No problem there. I just buy his art off of ebay :-)
          >
          > As you know, Jim's art is hard to come by, so I'm just salivating
          at
          > seeing a finished piece available. I expect demand will be quite
          high
          > since you have so many fans in Pittsburgh.
          >
          > Hope you two have a nice time at the NY Con.
          >
          > -Anthony
          >
          > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@>
          wrote:

          > > Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
          > > Holly G!

        • Jim Balent Studios
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 26, 2006
            -blush-
            thank you Dirk

            Dirk...Dirk Diggler wrote:
            Ive gotten sketches from Jim and Holly in the past and not only are
            they great artists but great people as well.Theyre always kind to
            everyone. And They always have really cool loot at  their booth so
            iwould recommend stopping by.

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

            > Hi Holly,
            >
            > No problem there. I just buy his art off of ebay :-)
            >
            > As you know, Jim's art is hard to come by, so I'm just salivating
            at
            > seeing a finished piece available.  I expect demand will be quite
            high
            > since you have so many fans in Pittsburgh.
            >
            > Hope you two have a nice time at the NY Con.
            >
            > -Anthony
            >
            > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Jim Balent Studios <holly@>
            wrote:

            > > Just as long as you don't resell it on ebay ;-)
            > > Holly G!

          • R Howard
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
              I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.  Regarding Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it went for less than $200 - $250.

              Anthony <forgiona@...> wrote:
              Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
              recall how much some of those auction items went for?

              Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
              Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
              it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@...> wrote:

              > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a look, it
              > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

              Comic bookComic book storeComic book artist
              Comic book coverComic book for saleDc comic book

            • hellboypi
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
                The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
                flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-Wish so
                dig deep.

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                  That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
                  want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
                  donations a nice boost.

                  But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
                  draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the convention.
                  I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
                  their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
                  forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
                  other fans.

                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for the
                  > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
                  Wish so
                  > dig deep.
                  >
                  > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
                  wrote:

                  > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
                  Regarding
                  > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
                  went
                  > for less than $200 - $250.

                • mangoman42
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                    I totally agree about the Queen and King of Broadsword being at the
                    Pittsburgh con! Can't wait to see you guys again!

                    As far as the auction goes... for that cover art I would be suprised
                    if Mike didn't START the bidding at $200-$250.... With it being a
                    big artistlike Jim, the flyer cover, and a sexy picture to boot I'll
                    bet it goes for the $700-$800 range minimum. Which is a bargain!

                    I know that Holly and Jim sent some PRINTS last year and they went
                    for over $100 (because I was furiously bidding on them...) :)

                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                    > That's very interesting. It makes sense that the promoters would
                    > want to hang onto the cover art, or at least give the Make A Wish
                    > donations a nice boost.
                    >
                    > But, the auction question was more of an afterthought. The real
                    > draw for me this year was Jim and Holly's return to the
                    convention.
                    > I was so impressed by their considerateness and generosity to all
                    > their fans at their last Pittsburgh con. I am really looking
                    > forward to stopping by their booth this year to chat with them and
                    > other fans.
                    >

                    > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "hellboypi" <HELLBOYPI@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The promoters of the Comicon 'almost' always outbid anyone for
                    the
                    > > flyer and the program cover art. But the money goes to Make-A-
                    > Wish so
                    > > dig deep.
                    > >
                    > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@>
                    > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I missed the auction last year, so I can't help you there.
                    > Regarding
                    > > Mr. Balent's art for the show flyer - I would be surprised if it
                    > went
                    > > for less than $200 - $250.

                  • Will Crites
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 2, 2006
                      I was originally going to the anime con a couple weeks before, but when I found Jim and Holly were returning I changed my plans. Last years con just didn't seem the same wih their not being there.

                      Will

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                        Sorry for the long delay, just got back to Yahoo. I was in Orlando
                        for Megacon, another great show for buying art from a charity auction.
                        Won the cover art for Supergirl 4, by Ian Churchhill, very nice piece
                        and good price.

                        But anywho..back to Pittsburgh. I recall the prices for the Perez
                        Titans piece to be $2500. The Patrick Block Uncle Scrooge was somewhere
                        between $1500-2000. The Strangers in Paradise art was indeed won by the
                        Promoter. I dont recall the price, however the bidding was furious due
                        to the fact he did not own any other Terry Moore pieces. If you plan on
                        bidding on anything the promoters want, expect to pay a premium. He
                        will usually win, however he has been known to lose out on some of his
                        prizes. To be noted he does not currently own only 2-3 of the pieces
                        that have graced his program covers. Most recently the Patrick Block
                        cover from 2004, celebrating Donald Duck's 70th birthday, which by the
                        way will NOT show up on E-Bay..

                        Hi Holly, welcome back to Pittsburgh! :-)

                        As for the Quick sketch, all of those pieces were won for $1.00.
                        They sell raffle tickets for CBLDF, and have a drawing, each ticket
                        costs $1.00. A group of artist gather for 1 hour and "draw", taking
                        audience suggestions along the way. The artists have been known to be
                        very creative in a short time. Most usually finish about 4 pieces, some
                        finish up to 10, yes in 1 hour! At the end of the hour, they just start
                        drawing tickets..and if your number comes up...YOU WIN! Real easy and
                        lots of fun. Highly recommended!

                        Also to note, for sketches from artists, get there early. They only
                        have a limited time at the show, and please allow for "potty breaks"
                        and food breaks. They are human also, not drawing machines. Please be
                        courteous and polite, it will make it more enjoyable for all! If their
                        schedule is full, just say "thanks" or "no problem" there is no need to
                        create a situation where the artist or the fan feels like they do not
                        want to return to this wonderful show. Prices for sketches range from
                        Free to upwards of $100.00. So be prepared!

                        Sorry to ramble, but I really enjoy this show and all of the guests
                        that take time from their busy schedules to help make it more
                        successful every year. I make every attempt to support this show and
                        have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                        Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!

                        Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
                        any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                        Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

                        Donald

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                          Hi Don!
                          oh I bet fl was beautiful!
                          :-) (envy)
                          Holly

                          ducky1560 wrote:

> [...]

                             Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win somthing at
                          any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)

                             Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great one!

                          Donald

                          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con.  Do you happen to
                          > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                          >
                          > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer cover by
                          > Jim Balent looks outstanding.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much
                          > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =)  Any thoughts?
                          >
                          > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "ducky1560" <ducky1560@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I just posted some really cool photos from the '05 Con. Take a
                          look, it
                          > > will give you some reasons not to miss '06!

                        • ducky1560
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                            Hi Holly!
                            Orlando in Feb. can't be beat! lol...(tan lines)

                            Only thing that could have been better, Broadsword at Megacon. ;-)
                            But I guess it will make Pittsburgh that much nicer.
                            Quote "See ya real soon!"

                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > > have only missed 1 in the past 8 years, and I don't live in
                            > > Pennsylvania. Its well worth the 5 hour drive for me!
                            > >
                            > > Hope you find this show to be enjoyable and hope you win
                            somthing at
                            > > any charity functions you chose to attend! (all are recommended)
                            > >
                            > > Have fun and enjoy '06, looks like it will be another great
                            one!

                            > > Donald
                            > >

                            > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks for posting the pics from last year's con. Do you
                            happen to
                            > > > recall how much some of those auction items went for?
                            > > >
                            > > > Speaking of auctions, this years Spiderwoman Comicon Flyer
                            cover by
                            > > > Jim Balent looks outstanding. I'm trying to get an idea of how
                            much
                            > > > it could bring, i.e. will I have a shot at it =) Any thoughts?

                            t=ms&k=Comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+arti
                            st&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&s=1
                            27&.sig=OpThui_IhXDzWstTJVOg0A>
                            > > Comic book store
                            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Comic+book+store&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                            k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                            =6&s=127&.sig=nKqnhIkTysf7_V64BNFhpQ>
                            > > Comic book artist
                            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Comic+book+artist&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+bo
                            ok+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&
                            c=6&s=127&.sig=Mn5zVvmlB-oujpjFi5awQw>

                            > > Comic book cover
                            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Comic+book+cover&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+boo
                            k+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c
                            =6&s=127&.sig=4wWXUU5lS_sVoxMBg-FnTw>
                            > > Comic book for sale
                            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Comic+book+for+sale&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+
                            book+artist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+boo
                            k&c=6&s=127&.sig=bfQkRldv0ApuZSBHRo7POQ>
                            > > Dc comic book
                            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Dc+comic+book&w1=Comic+book&w2=Comic+book+store&w3=Comic+book+a
                            rtist&w4=Comic+book+cover&w5=Comic+book+for+sale&w6=Dc+comic+book&c=6&
                            s=127&.sig=RtNS93Aa0-zC1k_qJDwmoA>

                            subject=Unsubscribe>

                            ------

                          • Jim Balent Studios
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                              that's way rough for us
                              I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                              so when we're down there
                              (every year)
                              it's for fun only!
                              but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                              Holly
                            • ducky1560
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                                I noticed the photos in Tarot 32-33 in Orlando. I was there that
                                same week. Didn't see you guys. :-(

                                I would have recognized you, and said hello! I would notice the
                                Beautiful High Preistess of Broadsword anywhere. (drool)

                                Don.

                                wrote:

                                > that's way rough for us
                                > I'm a Disney/Universal addict
                                > so when we're down there
                                > (every year)
                                > it's for fun only!
                                > but we do get recognized at the parks! :-)
                                > Holly

                              • Jim Balent Studios
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 3, 2006
                                  bummer