Re: [pittscomicon] Unique good places to eat

  • Joe Patrick
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 16, 2012
      Chris,

        I think that all depends on what you enjoy to eat.  I live just 5 minutes from the convention center and I'm still finding new places to eat.  Some I've enjoyed, and some I've found to be interesting, but ultimately not my thing.  What I've done when I go to a new location is I just see what places my GPS can find as far as food in the general vicinity and then see what sounds good to try.

        My favorite 'local' pizza place is Vince's Pizza Park in Forest Hills.  It's probably about a 20-25 minute drive depending on traffic.  Handfulls of fresh toppings on the pizzas, not sparsely dealt out.  They can be expensive, but to me, they're worth it.  Though its one of those places where people either love it or hate it, not much middle ground.

        They've added a Patron Mexican restaurant just up the street from the convention center as well, across from the Olive Garden.  The food there is pretty good if you enjoy Mexican.

         Being in Pittsburgh, there is a Primanti's not that far from the convention center as well to get Pittsburgh's official sandwich.

      Again it comes down to what type of food you like.  My advice is bring a GPS and use it if you can.

      -Joe

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 16, 2012
        Hey Joe!
        Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know if I really know what I am looking for. Maybe a diner type of restaurant? I don't really want any Mexican or Chinese food. I like the idea of the pizza place.

        When you say people love it or hate it, what do they hate about it? It sounds pretty good so far!

        I guess I am thinking about something sort of local and maybe a diner type place.

        Thank you so much for the reply!
        And if anyone else wants to add anything, that would be fantastic!

        Chris

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Joe Patrick <brandysdad_2000@...> wrote:

        > Chris,
        >
        >   I think that all depends on what you enjoy to eat.  I live just 5 minutes from the convention center and I'm still finding new places to eat.  Some I've enjoyed, and some I've found to be interesting, but ultimately not my thing.  What I've done when I go to a new location is I just see what places my GPS can find as far as food in the general vicinity and then see what sounds good to try.
        >
        >   My favorite 'local' pizza place is Vince's Pizza Park in Forest Hills.  It's probably about a 20-25 minute drive depending on traffic.  Handfulls of fresh toppings on the pizzas, not sparsely dealt out.  They can be expensive, but to me, they're worth it.  Though its one of those places where people either love it or hate it, not much middle ground.
        >
        >   They've added a Patron Mexican restaurant just up the street from the convention center as well, across from the Olive Garden.  The food there is pretty good if you enjoy Mexican.
        >

        >    Being in Pittsburgh, there is a Primanti's not that far from the convention center as well to get Pittsburgh's official sandwich.
        >
        > Again it comes down to what type of food you like.  My advice is bring a GPS and use it if you can.
        >
        > -Joe
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Joe Patrick
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 16, 2012
          It's easier to explain in pictures what a Vincent's Pie is.  They can be greasy, but very filling.  Here's a few videos I found on Youtube.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtdxGfl1Eiw

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy7huZz_jjE

          I love them, but my stomach can only handle them once or twice a year. lol

          Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know if I really know what I am looking for. Maybe a diner type of restaurant? I don't really want any Mexican or Chinese food. I like the idea of the pizza place.

          When you say people love it or hate it, what do they hate about it? It sounds pretty good so far!

          I guess I am thinking about something sort of local and maybe a diner type place.

          Thank you so much for the reply!
          And if anyone else wants to add anything, that would be fantastic!

          Chris

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Joe Patrick <brandysdad_2000@...> wrote:

          > Chris,
          >
          >   I think that all depends on what you enjoy to eat.  I live just 5 minutes from the convention center and I'm still finding new places to eat.  Some I've enjoyed, and some I've found to be interesting, but ultimately not my thing.  What I've done when I go to a new location is I just see what places my GPS can find as far as food in the general vicinity and then see what sounds good to try.
          >
          >   My favorite 'local' pizza place is Vince's Pizza Park in Forest Hills.  It's probably about a 20-25 minute drive depending on traffic.  Handfulls of fresh toppings on the pizzas, not sparsely dealt out.  They can be expensive, but to me, they're worth it.  Though its one of those places where people either love it or hate it, not much middle ground.
          >
          >   They've added a Patron Mexican restaurant just up the street from the convention center as well, across from the Olive Garden.  The food there is pretty good if you enjoy Mexican.
          >

          >    Being in Pittsburgh, there is a Primanti's not that far from the convention center as well to get Pittsburgh's official sandwich.
          >
          > Again it comes down to what type of food you like.  My advice is bring a GPS and use it if you can.
          >
          > -Joe
          >

          > ________________________________

        • thongor72
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 16, 2012
            Awesome! Thanks Joe!

            Chris

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Joe Patrick <brandysdad_2000@...> wrote:

            > It's easier to explain in pictures what a Vincent's Pie is.  They can be greasy, but very filling.  Here's a few videos I found on Youtube.
            >

            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtdxGfl1Eiw
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy7huZz_jjE
            >
            > I love them, but my stomach can only handle them once or twice a year. lol
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Joe Patrick
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 16, 2012
              No problem Chris.  Hope you have a great time here this weekend.  I always forget that its easy for those of us that can go home and make dinner whenever we want throughout the weekend.  Have a safe trip in.

              -Joe

              > It's easier to explain in pictures what a Vincent's Pie is.  They can be greasy, but very filling.  Here's a few videos I found on Youtube.
              >

              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtdxGfl1Eiw
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy7huZz_jjE
              >
              > I love them, but my stomach can only handle them once or twice a year. lol
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Catwomanmtb
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 17, 2012
                Hey, don't forget that the japanese re staurant in the mall, and that italian restaurant outside , and the food court in there.
                Now, if you really looking for a good japanese restaurants, I know if a good place in penn hills. and it's only 22 minutes away...... Lol!
                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "thongor72" <cowen72@...> wrote:

                > Hey all!
                >
                > First of all, I am extremely excited about coming once again to the Pittsburgh comicon. This has to be close to my 10th trip and its getting better and better all the time.
                >
                > However interestingly enough, I have never taken the time to explore the restaurants in the area (or even within a 20 min drive). So although I know there is a TGIFridays, and Olive Garden (I think) in the area. I was wondering if anyone can recomend a great place to eat in the area. Like are there any restaurants seen on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives or anything cool like that? Last year we went to Bella Luna and had some great pizza. Any other great family owned businesses?
                >
                > Thanks for all your help!
                > Chris

              • thongor72
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 18, 2012
                  Hey Catwomanmth!
                  Thanks for the advice! I was kinda hoping to stay away from the mall.. too many zombies! lol

                  If anyone else has any suggestions, I am open to any and all!

                  Chris