Re: First-time visitor

  • ducky1560
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 11, 2012
      Welcome first timer...

      As a veteran of 15+ Pittsburgh Comicon's, Thongor72 and Todd offer some very sage advise.

      Would also like to suggest the following...

      Get a good nights sleep the night before, and start with a good breakfast...could be a long day. Comfortable shoes are a must.

      preparation- having any "autograph requests" organized can save you and everyone in the line time. Having the books removed from bags and boards also will save you some time in lines as well. Go to your absolute favorites early, sometimes often is the key, as line(s) will vary through out the day(s)(especially Saturday!) Check the cancellation board at the con as well, it may save you some time when looking for that guest that is never at their table...

      patience- realizing that everyone is trying to do the same things you are goes a long way in the understanding that you may miss something...don't get discouraged. Also remember the guests are human too...they need breaks every now and them as well. for heavens sake let EBas help his fiance with the new baby if he asks...If you see a sign at at guests table saying "will return in XX minutes" don't get discouraged if it takes double that, they may have run into a friend they have not seen in some time. It can be a social time for them as well.

      prioritization- trying to "do it all" is not possible...make a list of guests/events/panels that YOU enjoy, and plan your day accordingly. Cross off as many as possible, but enjoy every one of them!(that's what is really important)

      appreciation- hate sounding like my parents, but "thank you" goes a long way! Many guests may charge for autographs/sketches, but thanks are always encouraged. Thank the promoters if you see them. Thank the volunteers as well. Remember they are there for all of us, they come back for the same reasons we do!

      and last but not least...bathe and deoderant(surprising how many people take this for granted)....nothing worse than being "that guy" at the show....the show can get crowded, thinking you can blend in with the crowd.....not gonna happen. You will see at least one during your visit...don't be the one..lol

      hope to see you at many more

      ps...make sure you stop by the Auction Saturday night..loads of fun for Charity.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "CraigH" <topper_2001@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      > This will be my first time visiting the Pittsburgh Comicon and I just wanted to see if anyone had some tips.
      > I'll only be able to make it up on Saturday and want to try and fit in as much as possible.

    • Catwomanmtb
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 12, 2012
        Bart! right
        come in come on sunday and get in free..and its a great way to meet new people! also bring a snack bar ( like pop tart) cause you might get so excited you could forget to eat ( it happens ...to me) and don't forget to HAVE FUN! can't wait to met you!
        ps
        I'm not sure if anyone said this so i would like to be the first WELCOME TO THE PITTSBURGH COMICON! ENJOY!

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 12, 2012
          few cons back i nearly passed out in my snake eyes costume. no lie. i sweat like mad in that thing and walking around with friends all day and taking endless pix things like a break and food and drinks can slip your mind as time fly's. i was getting light headed and like ah guys i need to sit down before i fall down so we went over to where some girls were giving out those nasty viper energy drinks and i guzzled like 3 in a row and sipped on a 4th.
          then got up after about 30 min of sitting and BSing and went back at it lol

          coming in costume is always fun. i have a terminator costume im pretty sure most of you havnt seen yet. its only been at the steel city con, two cons ago. so that will probly be sundays. i also have a completely made up character to debut if its done in time. i just barely got all the parts for it but i have to reengineer some of the electronics for it and wire it into the suit. i hope to have it done in time to piece it all together even if the clothing i want to use with it isnt the right ones

          so if you see a guy 6'6" in costume, chances are its me, stop me and we can take pix

          -bart

          In a message dated 4/12/2012 7:42:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, catwomanmtb@... writes:

          Bart! right
          come in come on sunday and get in free..and its a great way to meet new people! also bring a snack bar ( like pop tart) cause you might get so excited you could forget to eat ( it happens ...to me) and don't forget to HAVE FUN! can't wait to met you!
          ps
          I'm not sure if anyone said this so i would like to be the first WELCOME TO THE PITTSBURGH COMICON! ENJOY!

          > come in costume. its a great place to cos-play and if you come in costume
          > on Sunday you get in freeeeeeeee! dont get better then that.
          >
          > ill be there in costume sat and sunday. not sure which ones i will be in
          > yet as i have a new one in the works but since i have been
          > busy/procrastinating its not ready yet.
          >
          > -bart
          >

          > In a message dated 4/2/2012 9:57:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > topper_2001@... writes:
          >

          > Hi everyone,
          > This will be my first time visiting the Pittsburgh Comicon and I just
          > wanted to see if anyone had some tips.
          > I'll only be able to make it up on Saturday and want to try and fit in as
          > much as possible.

        • Derek Kirby
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 13, 2012
            Not sure if I can reply all or not to this but here goes.
            Bring a BACKPACK!!!
             Being a father of 2 kids I learned a long time ago going anywhere like this to take one.You get all kinds of free stuff as well as all the things you are having signed and buying and yes bring the snacks in it.I also use a dress shirt box to protect my comics.
            This is my 3rd comic con and my sons 2nd.We have our VIP Stan Lee tickets and arent counting down the days.
             Hope to see you all there.