Re: [pittscomicon] Re: RIP DAVE HOOVER

  • BIG_BOOTE@HOTMAIL.COM
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
      Maybe we can do a homage to Dave for the news letter cover, or the back of Aprils program guide.

      I can provide art for that.

      From: "comiconguy" <patlqp@...>
      Sender: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 14:16:08 -0000
      To: <pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [pittscomicon] Re: RIP DAVE HOOVER

      Thanks for passing along that info Anthony.

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

      > Dave's passing comes as quite a shock.
      >

      > The following was posted by Ray Cuthbert on the comicart-l board, early today ...
      >
      > Dave Hoover had open heart surgery twice before, and on one of those occasions was at death's door as I recall, so I assume his death was cardiac-related. It was sudden and unexpected since people had spent time with him at conventions just a couple of weeks ago, and reportedly friends saw him last week and he looked fine.
      >
      > David Harold Hoover, formerly of Warrington, passed away Sunday, Sept. 4, 2011, in Jamison. He was 56.
      >
      > He was the husband of Karen Hoover. They had been married for 22 years.
      >
      > Born in Berrysburg, Pa., he was a son of the late Gladys and Harold Hoover.
      >
      > David had a Master of Fine Arts degree in Computer Animation. He currently was an instructor at the Art Institute of Philadelphia, however he started his career as a layout artist working for Filmation Studios, Hanna Barberra, and Mihan Productions. He also worked at Sony Children's Television as a storyboard artist. He later worked for DC and Marvel Comics, illustrating the adventures of many superheroes including Captain America, Spiderman, Wolverine, Punisher, and many more.
      >
      > He was a collector of Tarzan memorabilia. He enjoyed biking, running, hiking and swinging on vines. David was an art enthusiast; and enjoyed old Western movies.
      >
      > In addition to his wife, Karen, he is survived by his daughters, Lauren Hoover and Alaina Hoover; his dog, Janey; and his two cats, Snickers and Lacey. David also is survived by his mother-in-law, Janet Freidel; his siblings, Gloria Shomper, Julie Nell, Jim Hoover, and Janis Hoover; and his loving nieces, nephews, and in-laws.
      >
      > David's funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, at St. John's United Methodist Church, 820 Almshouse Road Ivyland, PA 18974, where family will receive friends immediately following the service
      >
      > Memorial contributions may be made to Pilla Heart Center at Abington Hospital.

    • Robert Martin
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
        That's a GREAT idea .. I've got some great art by Dave as well .. he was one of the reasons why I have enjoyed coming to the Pittsburgh Comicon, really bummed now that I was unable to attend this year .. an extremely talented artist and a true gentleman, he is and will be sorely missed.

        From: "comiconguy" <patlqp@...>
        Sender: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 14:16:08 -0000
        To: <pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
          I'm sure we'll do something as a tribute to Dave. If we need art I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.

          P.A.T.