Re: RIP DAVE HOOVER

  • Chad "Space Ghost" Wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2011
      OMG! Any news on what happened to him?
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2011
        Details are sketchy. He apparently had some health issues of which I was unaware, including a heart condition, but I don't know exactly what happened.

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Chad \"Space Ghost\" Wilson" <spacghst@...> wrote:

        > OMG! Any news on what happened to him?

      • Anthony
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2011
          Dave's passing comes as quite a shock.

          The following was posted by Ray Cuthbert on the comicart-l board, early today ...

          Dave Hoover had open heart surgery twice before, and on one of those occasions was at death's door as I recall, so I assume his death was cardiac-related. It was sudden and unexpected since people had spent time with him at conventions just a couple of weeks ago, and reportedly friends saw him last week and he looked fine.

          David Harold Hoover, formerly of Warrington, passed away Sunday, Sept. 4, 2011, in Jamison. He was 56.

          He was the husband of Karen Hoover. They had been married for 22 years.

          Born in Berrysburg, Pa., he was a son of the late Gladys and Harold Hoover.

          David had a Master of Fine Arts degree in Computer Animation. He currently was an instructor at the Art Institute of Philadelphia, however he started his career as a layout artist working for Filmation Studios, Hanna Barberra, and Mihan Productions. He also worked at Sony Children's Television as a storyboard artist. He later worked for DC and Marvel Comics, illustrating the adventures of many superheroes including Captain America, Spiderman, Wolverine, Punisher, and many more.

          He was a collector of Tarzan memorabilia. He enjoyed biking, running, hiking and swinging on vines. David was an art enthusiast; and enjoyed old Western movies.

          In addition to his wife, Karen, he is survived by his daughters, Lauren Hoover and Alaina Hoover; his dog, Janey; and his two cats, Snickers and Lacey. David also is survived by his mother-in-law, Janet Freidel; his siblings, Gloria Shomper, Julie Nell, Jim Hoover, and Janis Hoover; and his loving nieces, nephews, and in-laws.

          David's funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, at St. John's United Methodist Church, 820 Almshouse Road Ivyland, PA 18974, where family will receive friends immediately following the service

          Memorial contributions may be made to Pilla Heart Center at Abington Hospital.
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
            Thanks for passing along that info Anthony.

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

            > Dave's passing comes as quite a shock.
            >

            > The following was posted by Ray Cuthbert on the comicart-l board, early today ...
            >
            > Dave Hoover had open heart surgery twice before, and on one of those occasions was at death's door as I recall, so I assume his death was cardiac-related. It was sudden and unexpected since people had spent time with him at conventions just a couple of weeks ago, and reportedly friends saw him last week and he looked fine.
            >
            > David Harold Hoover, formerly of Warrington, passed away Sunday, Sept. 4, 2011, in Jamison. He was 56.
            >
            > He was the husband of Karen Hoover. They had been married for 22 years.
            >
            > Born in Berrysburg, Pa., he was a son of the late Gladys and Harold Hoover.
            >
            > David had a Master of Fine Arts degree in Computer Animation. He currently was an instructor at the Art Institute of Philadelphia, however he started his career as a layout artist working for Filmation Studios, Hanna Barberra, and Mihan Productions. He also worked at Sony Children's Television as a storyboard artist. He later worked for DC and Marvel Comics, illustrating the adventures of many superheroes including Captain America, Spiderman, Wolverine, Punisher, and many more.
            >
            > He was a collector of Tarzan memorabilia. He enjoyed biking, running, hiking and swinging on vines. David was an art enthusiast; and enjoyed old Western movies.
            >
            > In addition to his wife, Karen, he is survived by his daughters, Lauren Hoover and Alaina Hoover; his dog, Janey; and his two cats, Snickers and Lacey. David also is survived by his mother-in-law, Janet Freidel; his siblings, Gloria Shomper, Julie Nell, Jim Hoover, and Janis Hoover; and his loving nieces, nephews, and in-laws.
            >
            > David's funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, at St. John's United Methodist Church, 820 Almshouse Road Ivyland, PA 18974, where family will receive friends immediately following the service
            >
            > Memorial contributions may be made to Pilla Heart Center at Abington Hospital.

          • Edward Beard Jr.
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
              Peace and many blessing be with Dave and his family. The Pitsburgh Comicon was very fortunate to have such a talented artists within it's walls.
            • BIG_BOOTE@HOTMAIL.COM
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
                Maybe we can do a homage to Dave for the news letter cover, or the back of Aprils program guide.

                I can provide art for that.

                From: "comiconguy" <patlqp@...>
                Sender: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 14:16:08 -0000
                To: <pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [pittscomicon] Re: RIP DAVE HOOVER

                Thanks for passing along that info Anthony.

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                > Dave's passing comes as quite a shock.
                >

                > The following was posted by Ray Cuthbert on the comicart-l board, early today ...
                >
                > Dave Hoover had open heart surgery twice before, and on one of those occasions was at death's door as I recall, so I assume his death was cardiac-related. It was sudden and unexpected since people had spent time with him at conventions just a couple of weeks ago, and reportedly friends saw him last week and he looked fine.
                >
                > David Harold Hoover, formerly of Warrington, passed away Sunday, Sept. 4, 2011, in Jamison. He was 56.
                >
                > He was the husband of Karen Hoover. They had been married for 22 years.
                >
                > Born in Berrysburg, Pa., he was a son of the late Gladys and Harold Hoover.
                >
                > David had a Master of Fine Arts degree in Computer Animation. He currently was an instructor at the Art Institute of Philadelphia, however he started his career as a layout artist working for Filmation Studios, Hanna Barberra, and Mihan Productions. He also worked at Sony Children's Television as a storyboard artist. He later worked for DC and Marvel Comics, illustrating the adventures of many superheroes including Captain America, Spiderman, Wolverine, Punisher, and many more.
                >
                > He was a collector of Tarzan memorabilia. He enjoyed biking, running, hiking and swinging on vines. David was an art enthusiast; and enjoyed old Western movies.
                >
                > In addition to his wife, Karen, he is survived by his daughters, Lauren Hoover and Alaina Hoover; his dog, Janey; and his two cats, Snickers and Lacey. David also is survived by his mother-in-law, Janet Freidel; his siblings, Gloria Shomper, Julie Nell, Jim Hoover, and Janis Hoover; and his loving nieces, nephews, and in-laws.
                >
                > David's funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, at St. John's United Methodist Church, 820 Almshouse Road Ivyland, PA 18974, where family will receive friends immediately following the service
                >
                > Memorial contributions may be made to Pilla Heart Center at Abington Hospital.

              • Robert Martin
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
                  That's a GREAT idea .. I've got some great art by Dave as well .. he was one of the reasons why I have enjoyed coming to the Pittsburgh Comicon, really bummed now that I was unable to attend this year .. an extremely talented artist and a true gentleman, he is and will be sorely missed.

                  From: "comiconguy" <patlqp@...>
                  Sender: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 14:16:08 -0000
                  To: <pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 9, 2011
                    I'm sure we'll do something as a tribute to Dave. If we need art I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.

                    P.A.T.