Re: [pittscomicon] Adam Hughes CEASES commisions at shows....

  • R Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2011
      That's such a shame, but ultimately understandable.

      About a decade ago I waited for Adam to show up at Dragon*Con for two days, basically camped out at his table because I so desperately wanted a sketch from him.  When he did show up, I was the first one on his sketch list, and despite the fact that he was only doing pencil sketches that weekend, I was able to convince him to do a marker sketch for me.

      It cost me $100, which at that time was a pretty steep price, but it was totally worth it and barring some major tradgedy, it will never leave my collection.  I feel bad for his fans who will no longer be able to buy something of his for their collection at a reasonable price thanks to the actions of this D-bag.

      I guess my suggestion to Adam would be to whip up half a dozen con sketches before each show and sell them for the going rate at the show.  This would still hurt the fans who can't afford $1000+ for a sketch, or possibly people like me who collect art of a specific character, but at least Adam would be able to chat with fans and have a good time at the show, and pocket the money that would otherwise be going to a scalper.

      Lastly I read the auction for that sketch was up to $2000 before it was pulled.  Seriously?  $2000 for that sketch?  It's beautiful and all, but it's not worth $2000 IMO.

      --R

      From: "Donnie" <wildstorm3@...>
      Sender: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 04:06:45 -0000