Post Gazette links

  • forgiona
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 18 6:43 AM
      It was a great show to attend, Sam and Sarah from Being Human were very nice in person. Sam seemed like an old pro, hamming it up for the convention crowd, he had lots of geek cred. Their panel was a blast, and was the most packed panel I've ever seen.

      The post gazette posted some articles prior to the show (under the Living section) and have a wrap up article and video from the weekend

      http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5763346&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

      http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/arts-a-entertainment/popi/26666-vampires-snacking-at-primantis

      http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11108/1140097-455.stm

      http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11104/1139135-51.stm

      http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11104/1139133-51.stm?cmpid=relatedarticle
    • Wayne

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 19 8:11 AM
          The vid link works for me in firefox. Maybe it's your browser

          P.A.T,
          Do you know where any of the panel videos will be posted?
          I think someone taped the Being Human.

          Great convention this year, I wish we had another show in September! ;)

          Any parting thoughts on this year's show?

          -A

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 19 8:36 AM
            I saw the Being Human Panel up on YouTube, (sorry I don't have the link)

            I'm sure I'll have plenty of parting thoughts when my brain is a little less "mushy". But just some personal observations,

            Is there any better guest than Phil Jimenez? The man was a workhorse all weekend long. It was the first time in Pittsburgh for Phil and I'd have him back anytime he wanted to come.

            Jim Starlin is a cool guy.

            Sam Witwer was as nice of a guy as you'll ever meet.

            The art of Sara Richard is stunning!!! I wish Gaiman would do some new Sandman specials and hook up with her as the artist. Her Delirium is to die for!!! She did a Delirium/Tank Girl piece at the Quick Sketch that may be my favorite piece of art I saw all weekend.

            I was so happy that the Blood Drive exceeded its goal since it was the first time we tried it.

            Brandon Bartolomeo is my hero. When we found out we were going to have to handle the Costume Contest ourselves since Scott Crawford and crew couldn't be there, Brandon stepped up to emcee with me coordinating the contestants, and it went smoothly and Brandon was a Great Emcee. If we ever have to do it again, I would proudly work with Brandon again. (plus as someone suggested on facebook, I would award more places in each of the age catagories, because there was some great costuming going on!!)

            From a shopping perspective, I was too busy between the show and my 7 mon. old to dig through any long boxes but I was able to procure some cool stuff from some of the small press publishers, Mary Monster from Jay Fife, Neverminds from Drumfish (Rich Bernatovich/Jamie Fay & Rey Arzeno) and a really cool Ntombinde Graphic Novel from Sterling Clark.
            and I got a Legion page from Wayne Faucher that made my whole weekend!

            How bout you guys??? any random observations about what you did, liked, hated....whatever.

            Patrick

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "forgiona" <forgiona@...> wrote:

            > The vid link works for me in firefox. Maybe it's your browser
            >
            > P.A.T,
            > Do you know where any of the panel videos will be posted?
            > I think someone taped the Being Human.
            >
            > Great convention this year, I wish we had another show in September! ;)
            >
            > Any parting thoughts on this year's show?
            >
            > -A
            >
            > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Wayne <hobanagarak@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Video doesn't seem to be working now (almost 7PM) so I'll try again later.

          • uss_escort
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 19 8:36 AM
              There are a bunch of the videos on YouTube and I believe the panel with Sam and Sarah is one of them. Just search for 'Pittsburgh Comicon 2011' and it should come up.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 19 8:48 AM
                More Cowbell!!!

                Seriously though, the Blood Drive was one of the best stories to come out of the show and the money raised for our charities. Also, I just want to know what those of you that had three-day passes thought of the picture pass? I am running out of the current supply of paper stock and Avery does not make that item anymore, but I have found similar. I do want to improve it however, and would love any ideas as far as design or anything.

                Lastly, I encourage you guys to look at the blogs and sites of our guests as the time of the show gets closer. I love the art of Gene Gonzales and if I had not been checking his blog site, I would not have known about his advance commission list for the show. So, rather than getting a sweet pen and ink sketch from him at the show, I was able to commission an extremely sweet Power Girl painting from him, something he was not able to offer during the show. I have said it before and I will say it again, Comic Art is a Terrible Drug!

                TJ

                > I saw the Being Human Panel up on YouTube, (sorry I don't have the link)
                >
                > I'm sure I'll have plenty of parting thoughts when my brain is a little less "mushy". But just some personal observations,
                >
                > Is there any better guest than Phil Jimenez? The man was a workhorse all weekend long. It was the first time in Pittsburgh for Phil and I'd have him back anytime he wanted to come.
                >
                > Jim Starlin is a cool guy.
                >
                > Sam Witwer was as nice of a guy as you'll ever meet.
                >
                > The art of Sara Richard is stunning!!! I wish Gaiman would do some new Sandman specials and hook up with her as the artist. Her Delirium is to die for!!! She did a Delirium/Tank Girl piece at the Quick Sketch that may be my favorite piece of art I saw all weekend.
                >
                > I was so happy that the Blood Drive exceeded its goal since it was the first time we tried it.
                >
                > Brandon Bartolomeo is my hero. When we found out we were going to have to handle the Costume Contest ourselves since Scott Crawford and crew couldn't be there, Brandon stepped up to emcee with me coordinating the contestants, and it went smoothly and Brandon was a Great Emcee. If we ever have to do it again, I would proudly work with Brandon again. (plus as someone suggested on facebook, I would award more places in each of the age catagories, because there was some great costuming going on!!)
                >
                > From a shopping perspective, I was too busy between the show and my 7 mon. old to dig through any long boxes but I was able to procure some cool stuff from some of the small press publishers, Mary Monster from Jay Fife, Neverminds from Drumfish (Rich Bernatovich/Jamie Fay & Rey Arzeno) and a really cool Ntombinde Graphic Novel from Sterling Clark.
                > and I got a Legion page from Wayne Faucher that made my whole weekend!
                >
                > How bout you guys??? any random observations about what you did, liked, hated....whatever.
                >
                > Patrick
                >
                > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "forgiona" <forgiona@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The vid link works for me in firefox. Maybe it's your browser
                > >
                > > P.A.T,
                > > Do you know where any of the panel videos will be posted?
                > > I think someone taped the Being Human.
                > >
                > > Great convention this year, I wish we had another show in September! ;)
                > >
                > > Any parting thoughts on this year's show?
                > >
                > > -A
                > >
                > > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Wayne <hobanagarak@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Video doesn't seem to be working now (almost 7PM) so I'll try again later.

              • Joe Patrick
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 19 8:52 AM
                  It was the first time that we attended any of the quick sketches and we loved it.  Such a unique experience and great way to raise money for worthy causes.  Over the 3 days, we won 5 pieces our favorites being a piece Dave Wachter did of Jack Skellington as Ghost Rider, a Chris Moreno sketch of Namor in a bar and an Elecktra sketch that I have no idea who the artist was as I didnt recognize the signature on it.  A friend of ours attended for the first time and scored a nice Billy Tucci Wolverine in the quick sketch on Sunday.  Stuart Sayger is just amazing to watch during the quick sketches, the man is a maniac and turns out amazing work so quickly.

                  For the first time since I've been attending, I stopped and talked with Ed Beard Jr.  His genre is generally not my thing, but found myself really enjoying much of it and found him fascinating to talk to.  I know now that he's going to be a regular stop for me from this point forward.  I got my original Bettie Page sketch from Jay Fife that he was holding for me, so that was a high point for me.  Jay pointed it out when I was talking to him on Saturday when he said that the whole con just feels more upbeat this year then it did last year.  I dont know specifically about that, but I know I really enjoyed myself more then previously and I certainly spent more then previously as well.

[...]

                  From a shopping perspective, I was too busy between the show and my 7 mon. old to dig through any long boxes but I was able to procure some cool stuff from some of the small press publishers, Mary Monster from Jay Fife, Neverminds from Drumfish (Rich Bernatovich/Jamie Fay & Rey Arzeno) and a really cool Ntombinde Graphic Novel from Sterling Clark.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 19 8:58 AM
                    I could watch Stuart do his thing all day. He never ceased to amaze me and Ed Beard is always fun to talk to. He has such a passion for what he does and it is contageous.

                    --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, Joe Patrick <brandysdad_2000@...> wrote:

                    > It was the first time that we attended any of the quick sketches and we loved
                    > it. Such a unique experience and great way to raise money for worthy causes.
                    > Over the 3 days, we won 5 pieces our favorites being a piece Dave Wachter did of
                    > Jack Skellington as Ghost Rider, a Chris Moreno sketch of Namor in a bar and an
                    > Elecktra sketch that I have no idea who the artist was as I didnt recognize the
                    > signature on it. A friend of ours attended for the first time and scored a nice
                    > Billy Tucci Wolverine in the quick sketch on Sunday. Stuart Sayger is just
                    > amazing to watch during the quick sketches, the man is a maniac and turns out
                    > amazing work so quickly.
                    >
                    > For the first time since I've been attending, I stopped and talked with Ed Beard
                    > Jr. His genre is generally not my thing, but found myself really enjoying much
                    > of it and found him fascinating to talk to. I know now that he's going to be a
                    > regular stop for me from this point forward. I got my original Bettie Page
                    > sketch from Jay Fife that he was holding for me, so that was a high point for
                    > me. Jay pointed it out when I was talking to him on Saturday when he said that
                    > the whole con just feels more upbeat this year then it did last year. I dont
                    > know specifically about that, but I know I really enjoyed myself more then
                    > previously and I certainly spent more then previously as well.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Donnie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 19 11:11 AM
                      I finally got my first piece from Sayger this year. check it out at: http://www.comicartfans.com/SketchbookPiece.asp?Piece=752800

                      and please leave a comment if you like.

                      It was a great show this year. I got my Rocketeer pics that was my theme this year by Sayger, Jimenez, and Banks. An d I got my Darkness piece from Medors who is looking great. I don't know if it was the water, free Fuze, or the weather, but everyone seemed so "loose" this year. Didn't seem like everyone was rushed or forced.

                      I hope the Charmed pages (5, 6, and 7) from Hoover I donated for the auction brought in some good cash for the Make-a-Wish.

                      See ya next year. Hopefully you can get ahold of Top Cow's Filip Sabilik to attend next year.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 19 11:52 AM
                        Donnie, that Rocketeer piece is just fantastic!  I had such a blast watching Sayger work during the quick sketches that I became an instant fan of his work.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 20 6:32 AM
                          Glad to hear that the charities and blood drive did well!

                          My personal pet peeve on the pass picture is that they add about 20 pounds! (cause the image is stretched out) And the guests all think you're an exhibitor. Could you use a bigger font for our names, and put our First and Last name on separate lines?

                          Another Pet Peeve with the pass is that none of the artists I talk to knew that the show opens a half hour early to pass holders. Especially on Friday, when they are trying to setup for a 1:00 opening - very few were ready to talk shop at 12:30. It's still nice to get in early, but some artists (like Adam Hughes in 09) were distrustful of us lining up "early"

                          Your Power Girl rocks! Probably his best preshow piece. Congrats! I hit up a few artist preshow too, and was very pleased to find Charles P Wilson III (Stuff of Legends) taking a few sketch requests. He was such a nice guy, I hope he's back next year.

                          Phil Jimenez was very nice, it'd be great to see him back in the Burgh. Ditto for Sam Witwer. I'll check out youtube for the Pitt con videos.

                          Liked:
                          3 day pass - gets in 1/2 hr early
                          Few guest cancellations
                          Being Human stars there all 3 days. Also liked where they were located, it probably brought good foot traffic
                          Phil Jimenez sketching
                          Awesome costumes! Including the Plastic Man/Clark Kent/Superman guy helping George Perez. Some wore costumes every day!

                          Disliked:
                          Weather - enough with the storms in Pittsburgh!
                          regarding the Auction
                          -Display the auction pieces in the convention hall, before the auction. Other shows, like Baltimore or Heroes preview the art this way.
                          -Bob Almond forgot the Fife convention book cover at home (I felt bad for Bob)
                          -Some pieces in the auction were unidentified - If you don't know who the artist is, please find out before the auction. You could even post the mystery pics here or on facebook, to get an answer
                        • tbolts712
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 27 7:14 PM
                            I had an absolute BLAST at Pittsburgh this year; thank you to all who made it possible! The highlight for me is always getting some actual time to speak with the pros and, of course, try to get some gorgeous artwork. My main reason for going to the con was to get a Scarlet Witch skeetch from Mr. George Perez and missions accomplished! Also very fortunate to get beautiful sketches from Phil Jimenez, Ebas, and Terry Moore.

                            Highlights:
                            Yes, Phil Jimenez is the man!!
                            The extra half an hour with the 3-day pass was wonderful. I hope this continues!!

                            Lowlights(?):
                            Power went out Sunday at 3pm and I got concerned we were getting the boot early! ;)

                            Honestly, not a bad word to say about the con. Thanks for another great year and hope to come back for the next show!

                            Best,
                            J!