Re: [pittscomicon] Did you see this...

  • James Rowe
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 25, 2011
      Yes, It's the talk of the artist world on Facebook. They've even made some facebook fan pages

      Darth Stewie

      James

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25, 2011
        I just can't beleive it took this long to come to light. We put the kybosh to him back in 2007. He conned his way into our show in 2006, he contacted us just weeks before the show spouting credits including Teen Titans Go. Renee let him have a booth but when I started looking at his bio info, it just didn't jive. He was claiming to work on issues in the hundreds when the comic was in only up to issue 20 or so, but I was on a tight deadline with the show just around the corner so I didn't look into it any further and just figured it was some kind of misunderstanding. But when he registered again in 2007, I had Renee ask him for a full list of credits. Again his credits were nebulous at best so I did a little detective work. I had found Jan Duursema on a message board calling out an artist that had swiped her art. Being the lady that she is, Jan was hesitant to name the artist but eventually she posted the artist's name, "Rob Granito". Now I had some proof that what I was beginning to suspect was true. "This Guy is a Fraud.", but again I didn't want to jump to conclusions, so I kept searching and found an instance where he ripped off Dave Stevens. (Dave Stevens, for ****'s sake.) After that I got together with an artist friend of mine, to sit down and go through Rob's website, piece by piece. I don't proport to be able to identify every artist by looking at their art, but Glenn is very good at it. Immediately looking at his website, the first thing we noticed was the vast array of styles of his art. No two pieces looked the same. As we went through, Glenn just kept naming artists, "That's Alex Ross" "That's Neal Adams" etc, etc. So needless to say that was the end of any association between the Pittsburgh Comicon and Rob Granito. That is until...... just last week, I got a friend request from him on the Comicon facebook page. Just for laughs, I accepted him just to see what he had been up to since 2007. Well it appears nothing has changed!! Glad everybody finally caught up.

      • BIG_BOOTE@HOTMAIL.COM
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 25, 2011
          We had someone on deviant art that was claiming Art Adams work, and his page showed work that was clearly not his, going so far as to also play his agent.

          I'm glad that he won't be at the show in a professional manner, and I hope you guys pass the info along to other con organizers.

          From: "comiconguy" <patlqp@...>
          Sender: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 02:29:48 -0000
          To: <pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [pittscomicon] Re: Did you see this...

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 26, 2011
            Ethan confronted him yesterday and posted the exchange on his Facebook page yesterday. I have yet to see the video, but I heard there was some shot.

            Darth Stewie

            James

            From: "comiconguy" <patlqp@...>
            Sender: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 02:29:48 -0000
            To: <pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com

            I just can't beleive it took this long to come to light. We put the kybosh to him back in 2007. He conned his way into our show in 2006, he contacted us just weeks before the show spouting credits including Teen Titans Go. Renee let him have a booth but when I started looking at his bio info, it just didn't jive. He was claiming to work on issues in the hundreds when the comic was in only up to issue 20 or so, but I was on a tight deadline with the show just around the corner so I didn't look into it any further and just figured it was some kind of misunderstanding. But when he registered again in 2007, I had Renee ask him for a full list of credits. Again his credits were nebulous at best so I did a little detective work. I had found Jan Duursema on a message board calling out an artist that had swiped her art. Being the lady that she is, Jan was hesitant to name the artist but eventually she posted the artist's name, "Rob Granito". Now I had some proof that what I was beginning to suspect was true. "This Guy is a Fraud.", but again I didn't want to jump to conclusions, so I kept searching and found an instance where he ripped off Dave Stevens. (Dave Stevens, for ****'s sake.) After that I got together with an artist friend of mine, to sit down and go through Rob's website, piece by piece. I don't proport to be able to identify every artist by looking at their art, but Glenn is very good at it. Immediately looking at his website, the first thing we noticed was the vast array of styles of his art. No two pieces looked the same. As we went through, Glenn just kept naming artists, "That's Alex Ross" "That's Neal Adams" etc, etc. So needless to say that was the end of any association between the Pittsburgh Comicon and Rob Granito. That is until...... just last week, I got a friend request from him on the Comicon facebook page. Just for laughs, I accepted him just to see what he had been up to since 2007. Well it appears nothing has changed!! Glad everybody finally caught up.

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Donnie" <wildstorm3@...> wrote:

            > Talk about having some cajones.
            >
            > http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?38416-Who-On-Earth-Is-Rob-Granito&p=172083

          • Amy Hill
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 27, 2011
              Wow, the nerve of this guy is amazing. Any chance we could get a link to the confrontation video?

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, James Rowe <pestilence15052@...> wrote:

              > Ethan confronted him yesterday and posted the exchange on his Facebook page
              > yesterday. I have yet to see the video, but I heard there was some shot.
              > "Join the dark side ... We have cookies"
              > Darth Stewie
              >

              > James
              >

              > ________________________________

            • James Rowe
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 27, 2011
                Ethan told me that he didn't tape it, but I heard that someone did, but I can't find it yet.
                Here's a link to the story about him confronting him including the conversation in text.

                Darth Stewie

                James

                Wow, the nerve of this guy is amazing. Any chance we could get a link to the confrontation video?

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, James Rowe <pestilence15052@...> wrote:

                > Ethan confronted him yesterday and posted the exchange on his Facebook page
                > yesterday. I have yet to see the video, but I heard there was some shot.
                > "Join the dark side ... We have cookies"
                > Darth Stewie
                >

                > James
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Donnie
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 27, 2011
                  They recorded it from the table across the aisle and there was no audio of the conversation. Although I also read that Waid and Ethan confronted him and told him not to return to any con and that they will be talking to other creators to check to see if he is attending other cons and if he is they will not attend.

                • Amy Hill
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 28, 2011
                    http://blog.joethepeacock.com/2011/03/who-is-rob-granito-i-can-tell-you.html

                    This is an interesting read and has some good links. Also, check out the "Rob Granito is a fraud" Facebook page.

                  • James Rowe
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 28, 2011
                      I was keeping up with it myself all weekend.

                      Darth Stewie

                      James

                      This is an interesting read and has some good links. Also, check out the "Rob Granito is a fraud" Facebook page.

                      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Donnie" <wildstorm3@...> wrote:

                      > They recorded it from the table across the aisle and there was no audio of the conversation. Although I also read that Waid and Ethan confronted him and told him not to return to any con and that they will be talking to other creators to check to see if he is attending other cons and if he is they will not attend.
                      >
                      > --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, James Rowe <pestilence15052@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ethan told me that he didn't tape it, but I heard that someone did, but I can't
                      > > find it yet.
                      > > Here's a link to the story about him confronting him including the conversation
                      > > in text.
                      > >
                      > > http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/03/25/when-ethan-van-sciver-met-rob-granito/
                      > >
                      > > "Join the dark side ... We have cookies"
                      > > Darth Stewie
                      > >

                      > > James
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • Donnie
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 28, 2011
                        Here is the latest news. BANNED from WIZARD and CHILLER
                        Latest update from Ethan and Waid

                        http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/03/28/rob-granitos-megacon-adventure-with-mark-waid/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+&+Rumors%29

                      • Amy Hill
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 7 4:35 AM
                          Rob Granito is the gift that keeps on giving...I laughed out loud at this:
                          http://www.comicscube.com/2011/04/shameless-just-shameless.html
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 7 7:07 AM
                            Wow!, Just Wow! I really thought this guy would run for the hills with his tail between his legs. Little did I know the shear depth of his insanity.