Re: suggestions for next year

  • Donnie
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 10, 2010
      I wouldn't want Wizard to have a show in Pitt. I would like to see representation by the larger companies at these shows. This is the only show that i attend. I do like seeing the mid-size companies (Top Cow, Aspen, Broadsword, etc.).

      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, clarke wiggins <gcwiggs@...> wrote:

      > good point. well i just wish the comicon was closer than Monroeville. If it were closer than i would be able to go without worrying about the travel.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • clarke wiggins
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 11, 2010
        well i would love to see more exposure for the COMICON. Maybe people from G4, DC, MARVEL, DYNAMITE, IDW just to show off that WIZARDCON isn't the only COMICON out there.

      • jamiefickes@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 11, 2010

          Well you guys are the ones who can make thr happen.

          Sent from Comcast mobile

          well i would love to see more exposure for the COMICON. Maybe people from G4, DC, MARVEL, DYNAMITE, IDW just to show off that WIZARDCON isn't the only COMICON out there.

          I wouldn't want Wizard to have a show in Pitt. I would like to see representation by the larger companies at these shows. This is the only show that i attend. I do like seeing the mid-size companies (Top Cow, Aspen, Broadsword, etc.).

          --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, clarke wiggins <gcwiggs@...> wrote:

          > good point. well i just wish the comicon was closer than Monroeville. If it were closer than i would be able to go without worrying about the travel.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • R Howard
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 11, 2010
            I agree completely.  Unfortunately Wizard has a gargantuan marketing budget compared to the Pittsburgh Comicon, as well a nifty little vehicle call Wizard Magazine to advertize the crap out of their shows, as well as advertize the crap out of companies like DC, Marvel, G4, etc. who attend their shows.  It's hard to compete with that.

            It's pretty apparent to me based on what Wizard has pulled in the past five or so years that their goal is to become the only comic con out there.  First they tried to drive Heroes Con in NC out of business by scheduling a show in Atlanta the very same weekend.  When industry professionals were rightly outraged and threatened to boycott all of Wizard's Shows, Wizard backed off and cancelled "Wizard World Atlanta" altogether.

            They were quiet for a while, but now they are up to their old tricks - staging comic cons in markets very close to where other shows already exist, most notably Toronto, New York City and once again, Atlanta, with the NYC show the same weekend as the NY Comicon.  Their website also indicates that they are planning to start a show in Cleveland in the near future.

            I don't know how many folks from Cleveland drive down for the Pittsburgh Comicon, or go to the Mtor City Con in Detroit for that matter, but a WW show in Cleveland will impact attendence at both of those shows.  If the impact is great enough, it will no longer become economically viable for promoters like Renee to run a fun, fan friendly show like the Pittsburgh Comicon.

            The WW Philly show is this weekend. I only live an hour and half from Philadelphia, and I would love a chance to meet Patrick Stewart, but I am so put off by Wizards policies, that I can no longer bring myself to go to one of their shows.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 14, 2010
              Huh. Wizard still puts out a magazine? Anyways I love that it is a "locally" done show. Maybe someday I will go to one of the "big" shows.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 15, 2010
                hi Donnie, yes Wizard still puts out a magazine. Guess i stirred something up. All i wanted was more press for our local thats all. I love the local shows too. just wished it was closer.

                Huh. Wizard still puts out a magazine? Anyways I love that it is a "locally" done show. Maybe someday I will go to one of the "big" shows.

                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, R Howard <thezeppo1138@...> wrote:

                > I agree completely.  Unfortunately Wizard has a gargantuan marketing budget compared to the Pittsburgh Comicon, as well a nifty little vehicle call Wizard Magazine to advertize the crap out of their shows, as well as advertize the crap out of companies like DC, Marvel, G4, etc. who attend their shows.  It's hard to compete with that.
                >
                > It's pretty apparent to me based on what Wizard has pulled in the past five or so years that their goal is to become the only comic con out there.  First they tried to drive Heroes Con in NC out of business by scheduling a show in Atlanta the very same weekend.  When industry professionals were rightly outraged and threatened to boycott all of Wizard's Shows, Wizard backed off and cancelled "Wizard World Atlanta" altogether.
                >
                > They were quiet for a while, but now they are up to their old tricks - staging comic cons in markets very close to where other shows already exist, most notably Toronto, New York City and once again, Atlanta, with the NYC show the same weekend as the NY Comicon.  Their website also indicates that they are planning to start a show in Cleveland in the near future.
                >
                > I don't know how many folks from Cleveland drive down for the Pittsburgh Comicon, or go to the Mtor City Con in Detroit for that matter, but a WW show in Cleveland will impact attendence at both of those shows.  If the impact is great enough, it will no longer become economically viable for promoters like Renee to run a fun, fan friendly show like the Pittsburgh Comicon.
                >
                > The WW Philly show is this weekend. I only live an hour and half from Philadelphia, and I would love a chance to meet Patrick Stewart, but I am so put off by Wizards policies, that I can no longer bring myself to go to one of their shows.

              • forgiona
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 22, 2010
                  PAT,
                  I just got back from the VA comicon, and saw a few people there that could be nice additions to Pittsburgh. Some may have been here before, but not that I can remember. Also I'll mention their web presence, that I've found. Looking forward to Pitt con in 2011!

                  Budd Root and Andy Smith
                  I really hope they make their first appearance in 2011

                  Tim Seeley - Hack/Slash creator & artist
                  He's on deviantART

                  Greg Williams (Dark One) - Animal Mystic creator & artist
                  Also on deviantART, and Facebook

                  Larry Hama. He edited a bunch of DC and Marvel (batman, wolverine) comics, and or course, wrote GI Joe

                  Tom Raney. He's on deviantART and is usually tied to the Heroes Initiative
                • clarke wiggins
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 23, 2010

                    I would love to see Larry Hama at a COMICON.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 23, 2010
                      Thanks for the suggestions. We actually had a man on the ground at the VA Comicon to talk to some of the very artists you suggested, so we'll see how it pans out.

                      P.A.T.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 23, 2010
                        I have my fingers crossed!
                        You or Renee should be hearing from your man soon.

                        Also, I might as well throw in another one off my wish list
                        > William Stout - of http://www.williamstout.com

                        I know you can't invite everyone, every year, but I hope he can make your short list in a future show.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 23, 2010
                          tim has been here before, he was part of the devils due crew when he was the head artist and before hack/slash got so big. super cool dude and very nice to chat with.

                          ive met larry once. he doesn't do alot of appearances so me and my cuz drove to toronto to a comic shop see him. well that and we were making an adventure out of it and stopped at the falls and some other things along the way.

                          cant begin to describe how nice this man is even after some goober in front of us had an entire long box of gi joe stuff to get signed. the guy even told larry where he wanted alot of the books to be signed. the guy was up larrys ass and you could see he was starting to get annoyed but just let the guy say what he wanted to say and said ill do what i can when im not with other people. they guy left and said he would be back in an hour. didnt even say thanks, or offer to give him a few bux for his time since it was a long box! <it was a free signing>.

                          i walked up to larry, shook his hand and gave him a smile and said wow what was that guy thinking lol, larry just said idk but i get that alot with joe fans. i said well mr hama i only got 5 books if thats ok. im a huge joe fan but i brought other books and just not those. he got really excited when i mentioned that <long story there>. i was the only one there at that point so we talked for awhile about things he has done and what he was working on then to the point where i thought he might be getting tired of me.
                          he said oh no its no trouble, its better then sitting here doing nothing <the shop was dead>.

                          i looked at my cuz and said well ready to get some lunch and head back to pgh when larry stopped me as i was about to walk away. he said your from pgh? i said yes sir drove all the way up here to see you, 5 hours worth. he just looked shocked and said really just to see me. i said yes sir you dont do alot of these and i wasn't going to pass up a chance to have an adventure and go on a road trip to meet someone i have always wanted to chat with. he just said wow thats really great didnt think i still had fans like that lol.   we thanked him again and walked out.

                          it would be awesome to have him come to town, not just bc im a joe fan and thats seems to be all he is associated with bc he has had some great runs on some other big books to. his run on wolverine is one of my favorites in that series. anytime someone asked who they would like to see here he is always tops on my list but i hear it takes some convincing to get him to shows?

                          good luck in whoever you can get to come. seem to be alot of the same people anymore. doesn't bother me but some new faces would be cool. loved herb trimpe being there. that guy is a blast to chat with, funny as heck and so laid back. glad he is coming back. he and larry worked on joe together, would be nice to have a shot of them together if there booths are close to each other.
                          i dont go for the guests,  i dont even go to find back issues as my collections are complete enough to where i am happy with them.
                          i go for the good times and hang out chatting with people and being a cosplay guy the kids love taking pics with us cosplay people. its just a good time with like minded people in a fun environment.

                          -bart

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 23, 2010
                            William Stout would be a great addition (and I think we have contact info for him from years ago) and again we take all suggestions seriously because everyone has different tastes and likes. Personally I am a hardcore DC guy so I have a tendancy to lean towards DC artists so it is always good to other perspectives.

                            But all of you remember, although Renee has a roledex as big as a Buick, we don't always have contact info for guests you suggest, so if you are out at a show and see someone you would like to have join us in Pittsburgh get their contact info. You don't have to post their info online (lord forbid) but you can email it directly to me and we can go from there.

                            Thanks Everyone for their input.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 23, 2010
                              i'd love to see Larry Hama. I have a GIJOE #21 BAGGED and ready to be signed. I don't like pushing alot of comics in front of people, just one or 2 is usually good enough for me.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 23, 2010
                                course, Alex Ross is another one i'd like to meet.

> [...]

                                P.A.T.

                                --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "forgiona" <forgiona@...> wrote:

                                > PAT,
                                > I just got back from the VA comicon, and saw a few people there that could be nice additions to Pittsburgh. Some may have been here before, but not that I can remember. Also I'll mention their web presence, that I've found. Looking forward to Pitt con in 2011!
                                >
                                > Budd Root and Andy Smith
                                > I really hope they make their first appearance in 2011
                                >
                                > Tim Seeley - Hack/Slash creator & artist
                                > He's on deviantART
                                >
                                > Greg Williams (Dark One) - Animal Mystic creator & artist
                                > Also on deviantART, and Facebook
                                >
                                > Larry Hama. He edited a bunch of DC and Marvel (batman, wolverine) comics, and or course, wrote GI Joe
                                >
                                > Tom Raney. He's on deviantART and is usually tied to the Heroes Initiative

                              • James Rowe
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 24, 2010
                                  I'd love to see Katie Cook in Pittsburgh. I keep missing her appearances.
                                  She's on facebook.

                                  Darth Stewie

                                  James Rowe

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 25, 2010
                                    I would love to see Mike Deodato again .. he was an awesome guest when I saw him at the Pittsburgh Comicon several years ago and has done a lot of fantastic work since then.  Otherwise, I am just looking forward to being able to come in 2011 after a several years' absence!!  HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!

                                    Robert