Re: [pittscomicon] Re: reviews?

  • Will Crites
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 25, 2010
      Hi James, I was the guy standing behind you with my daughter.

      Will

      Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:26 PM
      Subject: Re: [pittscomicon] Re: reviews?

      The Con was very good to me this year. I almost got my Muppet jam piece completed, and ot to see a lot of good friends.

      Darth Stewie

      James

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 25, 2010
        Had a great time as well. Thanks to Renee, Patrick and everyone who was involved in putting it together. Me & my friends have been going since the beginning and these past two have been our best.
        Meeting Roy Thomas and his wife Dann, Ernie Chan, Joe Sinnott and his son, Herb Trimpe and his wife, Gary Friedrich, Jo Chen and Georges Jeanty was just a great experience. They were all so very nice and took time to talk. Also some of the other newer artists as well. The vendors had a lot of what I was looking for and the prices were decent.
        The only nit pick was the panel Saturday with the "Legends Of The Marvel Heyday" panel. It didn't seem like it was planned out well. While talking to Mr. Trimpe about an hour before it was to start we told him we'd see him at the panel and he didn't seem like he knew about it and that he wasn't really thrilled to hear about it. Which is fine, it just seemed like if he would have known his reaction would have been different. We got to the room were the panel was being held early and Roy Thomas showed up and said he wasn't sure who else was going to show up beside him and Mr. Sinnott. He explained that Mr. Friedrich was having trouble hearing and apologized for him not making it which we understood. No one from the con was there to moderate it so Roy took it upon himself to do so. It turned out very well, Ernie Chan joined in about ten minutes into it and Mr. Trimpe didn't show. I learned a lot from it and had fun but it could have been done a little more professionally.
        Again, had a great time. Was the first one in the door on Friday. Spent most of that day buying and on Saturday it was autographs and a little more buying. Between Stan Lee at last years and all of these legends this year, next year is going to be hard to beat. Maybe if you can score the Romitas? Now that would be cool. Ernie Chan said he liked it a lot and will be back next year. I hope so.
        Also to Patrick, if you can contact the person in charge of the Expo Mart and pass on mine and my friends thumbs up on how nice and how well they are keeping the place looking. The lighting there is so much better than the old Expo Mart. It's a great space and very clean. And the snack bar is 100% better than the old one. I would never buy anything at the old one. The prices were high and the quality was poor. The prices here are still a little high, but the food quality is much much higher. Letting you get free refills on soda is a very good idea as well and the people who were behind the counter and at the register were very, very nice.
        Can't wait until next year!
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 25, 2010
          the only gripe i have was the air conditioning kinda sucked.
          i was in costume on Saturday that isnt much but street clothes and i was warm. Sunday i had a full costume on including a hood and i was dieing. almost passed out from the heat at one point but that was partly my fault for not getting something to drink sooner. but even still my friend who was with me Sunday was in shorts and a t shirt and he was sweating like crazy.
          i know its not exactly summer out there to have it cranked up but when you have that many people at an event there is alot of body heat plus all those lights on and the amount of walking it does get kinda warm in there. not to mention my friend running his mouth all day to anyone who will talk to him, thats alot of hot air right there!  lol

          In a message dated 4/25/2010 9:23:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, chaz_i_am@... writes:
          Also to Patrick, if you can contact the person in charge of the Expo Mart and pass on mine and my friends thumbs up on how nice and how well they are keeping the place looking. The lighting there is so much better than the old Expo Mart. It's a great space and very clean. And the snack bar is 100% better than the old one. I would never buy anything at the old one. The prices were high and the quality was poor. The prices here are still a little high, but the food quality is much much higher. Letting you get free refills on soda is a very good idea as well and the people who were behind the counter and at the register were very, very nice.
          Can't wait until next year!
        • Chad Crissman
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 25, 2010
            Man, I really wish I could have made it this year. This is the first one I missed, but I just couldn't leave my newborn daughter behind! Hope everyone had a blast, and I'll be there in 2011.
          • James Rowe
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 26, 2010
              Sorry that she had to wait so long. How did she enjoy her expirence?

              Darth Stewie

              James

              Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:26 PM

              The Con was very good to me this year. I almost got my Muppet jam piece completed, and ot to see a lot of good friends.

              Darth Stewie

              James

              I missed the Comicon last September, so this (Saturday) was my first time in the new Monroeville Convention Center. I think it is a lot better and bigger than the Expomart ever was. More room to move around and it seemed like there were more artists and vendors/sellers there. I went with my sister and nephew, stayed for about 2 and 1/2 hours, and we all had a good time. Can't wait 'til next year!

              -- Scott

              In a message dated 4/24/2010 7:57:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, hobanagarak@ gmail.com writes:

              I'm happy, I got my Buffy #1 signed by Georges Jeanty(sp?) and Jo Chen. *does happy dance* Back tomorrow!

              On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Donnie <wildstorm3@yahoo. com> wrote:

              He got there around 1. He was only going to be there for a few hours on Sat. due to not feeling well. But he said he would be there all day Sun. depending on how he feels. He is technically by trimpe, they are divided by a curtain.

              --- In pittscomicon@ yahoogroups. com, bsimon9427@. .. wrote:

              > forgot to ask...
              > was josh medors there? i looked for him and didnt see him. the program
              > says he and herb trimpe are in the same booth!? i wanted to talk to josh again
              > bc he is really cool but didnt see hime anywhere.
              > was he moved and im just blind or was he not there at all?
              >

              > In a message dated 4/24/2010 6:20:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > BSimon9427@. .. writes:
              >
              > i had a pretty good time for the most part. walked around for hours
              > talking with some really cool artists and had a ton of people ask to take a
              > picture with me.
              > set up a commission with herb trimpe, an all time favorite of mine. cant
              > wait to pick it up tomorrow!
              > got to pick up some pretty cool prints to and when i go back tomorrow i
              > hope to find some more. i got there at noon and left at 4 and all in all i
              > can say it was a good time.
              > saw some great costumes to! there was a phoenix that looked like she
              > walked right off the pages. a really neat snake eyes costume and a pretty cool
              > wolverine. so many neat costumes i cant wait to see what the contest brings
              > out tomorrow.
              > see everyone tomorrow

            • sdunham818
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 26, 2010
                I've been going to the show for the last few years. I'm by no means a self proclaimed blogger/reviewer of shows but I did have some observations and comments.

                Negatives (which I hate to do, but if you read this and agree and it helps next years show - great!)

                The setup of artist was a little weird. It was like they fit everyone in artist alley they could and the rest went into the other room. It took a while to get the lay of the land.

                The entrance line was a little odd, it started on the inside of the con so you were in line to "get in" while actually standing in the con..lol.

                The photo badges needed some improvements. Great Idea, loved it, just could have been tweaked to have a better presentation.

                In the past there as been prints and/or other benefits to buying a pre-order three day pass compounded with the early entry.

                Positives

                I do love this show.

                Books were flying off the tables!! Such good deals you just couldn't pass up! Thanks!

                Food court area is awesome! Buy a $3.00 soda and free refills ALL DAY! That was great, had pizza, ice cream...even BEER!

                Parking was NEVER, NEVER, an issue..thx for that!

                Staff was friendly and was happy to be there :)

                The show was ok, I bought a 3 day pass but left Saturday about 5. It was great seeing old friends I've made over the past few years of going, and look forward to making new ones in 2011; but probably not with the 3 day pass. I'll post the pictures I took soon and hope everyone had a great time.

                > i had a pretty good time for the most part. walked around for hours
                > talking with some really cool artists and had a ton of people ask to take a
                > picture with me.
                > set up a commission with herb trimpe, an all time favorite of mine. cant
                > wait to pick it up tomorrow!
                > got to pick up some pretty cool prints to and when i go back tomorrow i
                > hope to find some more. i got there at noon and left at 4 and all in all i
                > can say it was a good time.
                > saw some great costumes to! there was a phoenix that looked like she
                > walked right off the pages. a really neat snake eyes costume and a pretty cool
                > wolverine. so many neat costumes i cant wait to see what the contest brings
                > out tomorrow.
                > see everyone tomorrow

              • forgiona
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 26, 2010
                  I had a great time too, Rene, Patrick, and the entire team did a wonderful job throwing together this con only 6 months (!) after the 2009-Stan Lee-palooza, and even diversified the guest list.

                  I really enjoyed the new faces this year, like Roy Thomas, Jo Chen, Joe Sinnott, Ernie Chan, etc. And returning vets like Jim Balent+HollyG and Rudy Nebres (what a character) were a delight. Jim and Scott McDaniel had steady lines from open (maybe even before open) to close. EBAS's table was another hot spot. And I was pleased to see Joe Sinnott get lots of love from the fans. I spent Friday in line for Jo Chen, and Saturday/Sunday in the Jim Balent line, and know several people that did the same for Jim and Scott McD. There may have been a few no-shows (none I can think of, not that the con has any control over it) but the booths/tables looked fully stocked. I spent my time on the con floor, or in lines, so I missed out on the panels, but the "Inking" and "Legends of Marvel" panels sounded interesting.

                  The early admittance/3 days pass/ was very helpful this year, but its surprising to see a few exhibitors already lined up for artists when the show opens. Also, like mentioned above, the entrance lineup INSIDE the con, could use some reconfiguration. But I like the 3 day badge for this show.

                  Having this show so close to the last worked out pretty well. Now its 12 months till the next one (maybe with Adam Hughes?) and a year after that for Jim and Holly's next appearance. :`(

                  Thanks again to everyone involved in this years show!
                • Will Crites
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 26, 2010
                    Theres always a wait in Jim's line, he always does great detail. She loved it and is already talking about going next year. As for me, I got some great sketches and had fun at the costume competition.

                    Will

                    Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 7:25 AM