this con better be good

  • baldalbinoyeti
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2009
      Seriously. If you're gonna make us wait till Septemeber, at least get
      some good guests. To hell with the Dawn of the Dead people and people
      who played a character that was in one of the Star Wars movies for 5
      seconds. Seeing as how it's the 25h anniversary of Ghostbusters, why
      not get Ernie Hudson again. Maybe a replica of the Ecto-1. Or if you
      wanna go a completely different route, what about Bruce Campbell or
      Robert Englund, or, hell, Kevin Smith.
    • Joe Patrick
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
        While I can agree that it would be nice to see some higher profile personalities, there will always be a trade off.  The more popular a person is, the more their fees to appear, which in turn would lead to less funds being available to get more personalities to attend.  The last 2 years the Star Wars actors that have appeared have been Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and last year David Prowse (Darth Vader), hardly actors that had a few seconds of screen time and people that played probably two of the absolute favorite characters in the entire film series.

        First and foremost, the comicon is just that, a comic convention. It's not exactly a pop culture convention, which is more like what Steel City is closer to. The main purpose is for the artists to get a chance to meet the fans, or for new artists to showcase their wares.  The last few years they've had some good names from that genre, George Perez, John Romita Jr., etc..

        I agree with you that it would be neat to occasionally see someone of a higher profile, but that would then mean less money to get a wider variety in.  Regardless who shows up, I've always had an enjoyable time and met some interesting people.

        Maybe the powers that be can try to work on getting an actor or two from 'Watchmen' for the con.  If they get scheduled before the movie is released it may be possible to get them cheaper then when it comes out if it turns out to be a big hit.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
          Maybe I'm wrong, but as I understood it, when they brought in Ernie
          Hudson before, rates were raised for the vendors. Regardless though of
          whether or not they had to charge more money to pay for the guy, there
          were significantly less booths the year they had Hudson.

          Just my two cents here. Having bigger names pop culture stars is nice
          and all, but -if- they have to come at the expense of everyone else,
          I'd rather have everyone else.

          On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Joe Patrick <brandysdad_2000@...> wrote:
          > While I can agree that it would be nice to see some higher profile
          > personalities, there will always be a trade off. The more popular a person
          > is, the more their fees to appear, which in turn would lead to less funds
          > being available to get more personalities to attend. The last 2 years the
          > Star Wars actors that have appeared have been Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and
          > last year David Prowse (Darth Vader), hardly actors that had a few seconds
          > of screen time and people that played probably two of the absolute favorite
          > characters in the entire film series.
          >
          > First and foremost, the comicon is just that, a comic convention. It's not
          > exactly a pop culture convention, which is more like what Steel City is
          > closer to. The main purpose is for the artists to get a chance to meet the
          > fans, or for new artists to showcase their wares. The last few years
          > they've had some good names from that genre, George Perez, John Romita Jr.,
          > etc..
          >
          > I agree with you that it would be neat to occasionally see someone of a
          > higher profile, but that would then mean less money to get a wider variety
          > in. Regardless who shows up, I've always had an enjoyable time and met some
          > interesting people.
          >
          > Maybe the powers that be can try to work on getting an actor or two from
          > 'Watchmen' for the con. If they get scheduled before the movie is released
          > it may be possible to get them cheaper then when it comes out if it turns
          > out to be a big hit.

        • fourthfloortodd
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
            Yeah it would be great to see some newer guests this time and not some
            that were in Star Wars for less than 5 minutes..how about some of the
            guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 ? That would be a good draw
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
              Ive been watching this thread, and while some people say the con better do this or better do that, we are lucky we even have a comicon to go to
              as for FFT's suggestion of someone from MST3K.... "FREAKIN' BRILLIANT" suggestion man. that would be toally awesome. just my 2 cents.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
                I agree Dugger, at least we do have a con we can go to. Even though
                it's two hours away from me!
                I would LOVE to see someone from MST3K be a guest, or how about
                someone else from the Friday The 13th movies? Like Adrianne King,
                Betsy Palmer, or something like that?

                -
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2009
                  its 2 hours almost for me too, but its just far enough away to keep me away from all the poeple that piss me off.