Re: News from the Comicon Front

  • Maya
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Don Pedicini Jr."
      <imajicastudio@...> wrote:

      > I'm kinda happy that it is in september it means I have more time
      to work on my costume.
      > Awesome, even better for me now it doesn't even come close to
      conflicting dates I had in April HUGE thanks...
      > Don
      > Don Pedicini Jr.
      >
      > www.donpedicinijr.blogspot.com

      Monroeville

      > Exposition Center), unfortunately the Center just won't be ready in
      >
      > time for our April dates. Likewise the host hotel, The Radisson
      >
      > Hotel-Monroeville is also going through renovations and they weren't
      >
      > going to be able to handle thousands of rabid comics fans by April
      >
      > either. So after much negotiations with the venue and the host hotel
      >
      > as well as surveying the comic landscape for good dates that didn't
      >
      > clash with any other established conventions, we decided on the
      >
      > September dates. (Sept. 11-13). What does this mean for you comics
      >
      > fans out there?! Well for one thing, we'll be able to approach new
      >
      > guests that were never able to make it for an April show. Other
      than

      > that you can expect the same kind of love and devotion we've had for
      >
      > comics since our inception in 1993. We were disappointed that we
      >
      > couldn't keep our April dates, because the Pittsburgh Comicon has
      been

      > like a rite of Spring for many, but we are excited about the brand
      >
      > spanking new venue and having the ability to bring in some new
      guests

      > that Pittsburgh Comicon fans haven't had the opportunity to meet
      >
      > before. As for vendors that pre-paid at the end of our 2008 show
      for

      > our 2009 show, we are still holding booths for you for our new
      >
      > convention dates and we hope that you will all continue to support
      us.

      > Vendors and artists that want more details about our September
      dates

      > can contact the Comicon office at 814-467-4116 or you can email us
      at

      > pcomicon@floodcity. net. Our website ( www.pittsburghcomic
      on.com ) is

      > in the process of being updated with our new dates, new contracts
      for

      > vendors and artists, and maps of the new venue. All that information
      >
      > should be up in the next week or two. Keep checking the website for
      >
      > the latest announcements concerning guests and events for our
      >
      > September show. We are looking forward to a great show in September
      >
      > and can only hope you will all continue to support us during our
      change.

      > Thank You,
      >

      > Patrick A. Thomas
      >
      > Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon
      >

      > --------

    • Andrew Harmon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        This allows me to save up! Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to get a table in Artist Alley when I have something worthy to show.

        On Fri Jan 2 15:18 , 'comiconguy' sent:

        Hello folks,

        I can always count on you guys to be about a week ahead of me when I
        want to make an announcement. I know I have been incommunicado for a

      • axxinjaxxin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
          A September date works much better for me as well. From the attendee
          standpoint, it's late summer at that point, everything will be winding
          down at that point, so it will be great to have that last "event" of
          the summer, after Labor Day. And let's face it, there won't be any
          weather issues (ie SNOW... anyone remember like two or three years ago
          walking to their cars and having to scrape their windshield?). The
          only things I could foresee being a problem is if the Steelers play
          that weekend, getting from the Expomart to the Airport or vice versa
          or (in true Pittsburgh fashion) the tunnels being under construction.

          I think this is great. Plus this makes Comicon not being in direct
          competition with kiddiecon two weeks earlier. More attendees will be
          able to attend both. Not to mention, this now takes Comiconn out of
          being the same weekend as SCC.
        • axxinjaxxin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
            Random thought about getting that on the front page ASAP... usually
            around this time of year (first or second week of January) is when
            people start making hotel reservations for the con. I know I spoke to
            someone at the Rad about this some time ago, and she said not to wait
            until after the second week of January if you want a room here for
            Comicon.

            That being said, it might help to get that on the front page quickly
            so people either A> don't have to change hotel reservations or B> eat
            one night to cancel a reservation, as there are hotels down on
            Mossside Blvd that do have a cancellation policy that "if you cancel
            this reservation we will charge you your first night to cancel (ie The
            Super 8)".