News from the Comicon Front

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hello folks,

      I can always count on you guys to be about a week ahead of me when I
      want to make an announcement. I know I have been incommunicado for a
      while and for good reason. We are indeed as rumored changing our
      dates for 2009. I wish I could have told you all sooner but we wanted
      to make sure all the contracts were signed before we announced new
      dates. (I didn't want to have to announce new dates, have them fall
      through and change dates again) The new dates for 2009 will be
      September 11, 12 and 13 2009. As mused about on the board, it is
      indeed due to the fact that our hotel and our convention hall just
      won't be finished in time for an April Show. The good news for me is
      for the first time in the last 15+ years, I won't have to work
      straight through my birthday. My birthday always falls as I am trying
      to finish the convention newspaper. Anyhow, the official statement as
      it is being sent out can be found below. Anyone that wishes to post
      it elsewhere or forward it on to others, feel free.

      I hope you are all not too disappointed about a 5 month delay, (but
      the one thing comic fans know about is delays, we should be just in
      time for the last issue of Final Crisis.) We are very excited about
      our new venue and the opportunities a September show will bring.

      Wishing You All A Bright and Happy New Year,
      Patrick

      See Official Statement Below:

      -------

      We at The Pittsburgh Comicon have a major announcement about our 2009
      show. After sixteen years of holding our convention in April,
      circumstances have caused us to have to move the dates of our 2009
      show from April 24, 25 and 26, 2009 to September 11, 12 & 13, 2009.
      As you may have heard in previous announcements, the Pittsburgh
      Comicon is slated to move to a new venue in 2009, (The NEW Monroeville
      Exposition Center), unfortunately the Center just won't be ready in
      time for our April dates. Likewise the host hotel, The Radisson
      Hotel-Monroeville is also going through renovations and they weren't
      going to be able to handle thousands of rabid comics fans by April
      either. So after much negotiations with the venue and the host hotel
      as well as surveying the comic landscape for good dates that didn't
      clash with any other established conventions, we decided on the
      September dates. (Sept. 11-13). What does this mean for you comics
      fans out there?! Well for one thing, we'll be able to approach new
      guests that were never able to make it for an April show. Other than
      that you can expect the same kind of love and devotion we've had for
      comics since our inception in 1993. We were disappointed that we
      couldn't keep our April dates, because the Pittsburgh Comicon has been
      like a rite of Spring for many, but we are excited about the brand
      spanking new venue and having the ability to bring in some new guests
      that Pittsburgh Comicon fans haven't had the opportunity to meet
      before. As for vendors that pre-paid at the end of our 2008 show for
      our 2009 show, we are still holding booths for you for our new
      convention dates and we hope that you will all continue to support us.
      Vendors and artists that want more details about our September dates
      can contact the Comicon office at 814-467-4116 or you can email us at
      pcomicon@.... Our website ( www.pittsburghcomicon.com ) is
      in the process of being updated with our new dates, new contracts for
      vendors and artists, and maps of the new venue. All that information
      should be up in the next week or two. Keep checking the website for
      the latest announcements concerning guests and events for our
      September show. We are looking forward to a great show in September
      and can only hope you will all continue to support us during our change.

      Thank You,

      Patrick A. Thomas
      Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon

      --------
    • Shawn Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        Patrick - as always, many thanks for the updates!

        One question - will the new dates also change the deadline for having
        table reservations at the discounted rate submitted?

        Thanks!
        Shawn

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
          Yeah Shawn,

          I assume you are asking about Small Press and Artists Alley Tables.
          The discounted rates go through April 30th. We'll have new contracts
          posted on the website in the next week or so.

          P.A.T.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            I dont know what everyone is thinking about this news, but I for one think of it as a positive. I look forward to it, and with the knowledge of it being 5 months later all of us lurking  in this group can plan our finances accordingly(which is a plus for this guy). So I say, CON! September11,12,13th works just fine for me.

            pcomicon@floodcity. net. Our website ( www.pittsburghcomic on.com ) is
            in the process of being updated with our new dates, new contracts for
            vendors and artists, and maps of the new venue. All that information
            should be up in the next week or two. Keep checking the website for
            the latest announcements concerning guests and events for our
            September show. We are looking forward to a great show in September
            and can only hope you will all continue to support us during our change.

            Thank You,

            Patrick A. Thomas
            Marketing Director - Pittsburgh Comicon

            --------

          • Bo Holbrook
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
              Is this for real? Cause if so this sucks on many levels for me. Many
              many levels.

> [...]
              > that Pittsburgh Comicon fans haven't had the opportunity to meet
              > before. As for vendors that pre-paid at the end of our 2008 show for
              > our 2009 show, we are still holding booths for you for our new
              > convention dates and we hope that you will all continue to support us.
              > Vendors and artists that want more details about our September dates
              > can contact the Comicon office at 814-467-4116 or you can email us at
              > pcomicon@... Our website ( www.pittsburghcomicon.com ) is
              > in the process of being updated with our new dates, new contracts for
              > vendors and artists, and maps of the new venue. All that information
              > should be up in the next week or two. Keep checking the website for
              > the latest announcements concerning guests and events for our
              > September show. We are looking forward to a great show in September
              > and can only hope you will all continue to support us during our change.

            • Don Pedicini Jr.
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009

                Awesome, even better for me now it doesn't even come close to conflicting dates I had in April HUGE thanks...
                Don
                Don Pedicini Jr.
                www.donpedicinijr.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                  --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Don Pedicini Jr."
                  <imajicastudio@...> wrote:

                  > I'm kinda happy that it is in september it means I have more time
                  to work on my costume.
                  > Awesome, even better for me now it doesn't even come close to
                  conflicting dates I had in April HUGE thanks...
                  > Don
                  > Don Pedicini Jr.
                  >
                  > www.donpedicinijr.blogspot.com

                • Andrew Harmon

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                      A September date works much better for me as well. From the attendee
                      standpoint, it's late summer at that point, everything will be winding
                      down at that point, so it will be great to have that last "event" of
                      the summer, after Labor Day. And let's face it, there won't be any
                      weather issues (ie SNOW... anyone remember like two or three years ago
                      walking to their cars and having to scrape their windshield?). The
                      only things I could foresee being a problem is if the Steelers play
                      that weekend, getting from the Expomart to the Airport or vice versa
                      or (in true Pittsburgh fashion) the tunnels being under construction.

                      I think this is great. Plus this makes Comicon not being in direct
                      competition with kiddiecon two weeks earlier. More attendees will be
                      able to attend both. Not to mention, this now takes Comiconn out of
                      being the same weekend as SCC.
                    • axxinjaxxin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                        Random thought about getting that on the front page ASAP... usually
                        around this time of year (first or second week of January) is when
                        people start making hotel reservations for the con. I know I spoke to
                        someone at the Rad about this some time ago, and she said not to wait
                        until after the second week of January if you want a room here for
                        Comicon.

                        That being said, it might help to get that on the front page quickly
                        so people either A> don't have to change hotel reservations or B> eat
                        one night to cancel a reservation, as there are hotels down on
                        Mossside Blvd that do have a cancellation policy that "if you cancel
                        this reservation we will charge you your first night to cancel (ie The
                        Super 8)".