Casting for dark fantasy stage adaptation of Alice in Wonderland

  • rageofthestage
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2008
      Auditions for Original/Dark/Urban Stage Adaptation of

      Alice's Adventures in "Wonderland"

      The Rage of the Stage Players, a Pittsburgh-based theatre group
      dedicated to alternative and offbeat stage productions including
      horror, mature fantasy, and black comedy, will be holding auditions
      for our spring production, a gritty, real-world, stage adaptation of
      Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures In Wonderland (Slated for May
      2009—and back by popular demand!). Come follow our young heroine as
      she finds herself lost in a bizarre city, peopled with a host of
      memorable deviants.

      The show will feature an ensemble cast of highly adaptable actors
      and actresses. Physicality, open-mindedness, and a strong sense of
      creativity are all absolutely essential. We welcome any and all (18
      years of age and up--from Pittsburgh and its surrounding areas only,
      please) who are intrigued, willing to work, and comfortable with
      themselves.

      Please note that this is NOT a children's production. It will be
      dark and feature harsh themes including violence and sexual
      overtones...clearly not appropriate for all audiences, or anyone who
      is sensitive to controversial material. However, if you've been
      looking for something different, you enjoy dark and irreverent
      humor, and you'd like to be a part of an original stage production,
      this may just be your chance! It also affords some actors the
      opportunity to enjoy elaborate make-up and costuming, depending on
      the character.

      Characters include: A Catholic school girl Alice; a skater
      punk "White Rabbit;" a drug-crazed, disfigured "Cheshire Cat;"
      A "Mad Hatter," who is a schizophrenic homeless woman; a
      dominatrix "Queen of Hearts" with her own bondage club, "Bill the
      (lounge) Lizard;" a doddering "Caterpillar" who suffers from deeper
      issues than mere forgetfulness, and a villainous "Knave of Hearts,"
      who is a charming, manipulative, hyper-sexual sleaze…just to name a
      few!

      The production will NOT have a rigorous rehearsal process, as it is
      a series of character vignettes. The rehearsal schedule will be
      established once the cast has been finalized. Please note: all roles
      are non-paid.

      If your interest is piqued, please email a headshot (or recent/clear
      photo), as well as accurate physical stats (important), and an
      acting resume, to rageofthestage@.... Auditions will take
      place on an individual basis, once an actor's physical stats and
      experience are found to match our needs. Auditions are by
      appointment starting in January, in the South Hills area. Rehearsals
      will also be in the South Hills. The performances, however, are
      slated for the South Side in May.

      For more information on our company, and photos from past
      productions, please go to http://www.myspace.com/rageofthestage

      For a review of the first production of local playwright James
      Michael Shoberg's ALICE 'S ADVENTURES IN "WONDERLAND" see:
      http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721213-325.stm