Convicted Sex Offender Working with Tekkoshocon

  • axxinjaxxin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2008
      Anyone who knows me knows that I bear a VERY deep grudge over some
      off-color and untrue comments about being a sex offender that were made
      about me several years ago by another staff member of Tekkoshocon that
      led to my resignation from staff and subsequent self-imposed ban from their con.

      For those that don't know, Tekkoshocon is the Anime convention in
      Pittsburgh held every year, most recently at the ExpoMart and Radisson
      Greentree.  Members of their staff also ran the anime room at Comicon
      (just to give a little bit of a tie-in).  Tekkoshocon has always
      billed themselves as a kid-friendly con, with their average age of
      attendees in their mid to late teens (hence why I've always called it
      Kiddiecon).

      WELL, earlier this evening, I was contacted by a friend of mine who
      was also an attendee at Tekkoshocon and was also shunned away from the
      con by staff of the con.  It turns out that one of the more senior
      staffers from Tekkoshocon, Christopher Dalton, aka EncodedFate, aka
      Fate, actually IS a convicted sex offender and was putting himself in
      VERY close contact with children at this con.  He was working as a
      webmaster and second-level staffer for the con.

      Here's the information:
      First Name: CHRISTOPHER
      Middle Name: L
      Last Name: DALTON

      Conviction
      Conviction date not reported
      SEXUAL ABUSE OF A CHILD
      Offender's age at conviction not reported
      Source of Information:  VA State Offender Registry

      http://vspimages.vsp.virginia.gov/images/014557-02.jpg

      Where I'm going with this, is there any way we can ban this guy from our con?  Even though we don't have that many kids at our con, because of his ties to the guys in the anime room (if we're even having that next year after what happened this year), I don't think he should be permitted on premises where we could even have a problem with him.

      Thanks,
      Rich
    • Ed Beard Jr.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
        This is a serious accusation and even more concerning is the potential
        leagal and harmful exposure that minors attending Pitt con and the
        anime room might be subject to.

        We went to the "VA State Offender Registry" and typed in his name
        under name search for ALL offenders, as you list it here.

        Here is what we came up with:

        "This search allows you to find offenders by name. Enter the name of
        an offender or his alias and click on the Search button on the bottom
        of the screen. You may also use wild cards if you know the partial
        name of an offender.

        No offenders found. The search criteria did not match any offender in
        our database. Please try different search criteria."

        We tried multiple times under a number of combination and still the VA
        State Registry of sex offenders came up with no compatible match to
        Christopher Dalton.

        Can you be more specific to how and where we can verify this info.
        Your link simply shows a Photo with NO name identification and could
        be anyone.

        We need to have undisputable and trackable facts to present to Renee
        George in order to make sure this type of offender is not allowed to
        attend the show in that capacity.

        Thank You

        --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "axxinjaxxin" <axxinjaxxin@...>
        wrote:

        > Anyone who knows me knows that I bear a VERY deep grudge over some
        > off-color and untrue comments about being a sex offender that were made
        > about me several years ago by another staff member of Tekkoshocon that
        > led to my resignation from staff and subsequent self-imposed ban from
        > their con.
        >
        > For those that don't know, Tekkoshocon is the Anime convention in
        > Pittsburgh held every year, most recently at the ExpoMart and Radisson
        > Greentree. Members of their staff also ran the anime room at Comicon
        > (just to give a little bit of a tie-in). Tekkoshocon has always
        > billed themselves as a kid-friendly con, with their average age of
        > attendees in their mid to late teens (hence why I've always called it
        > Kiddiecon).
        >
        > WELL, earlier this evening, I was contacted by a friend of mine who
        > was also an attendee at Tekkoshocon and was also shunned away from the
        > con by staff of the con. It turns out that one of the more senior
        > staffers from Tekkoshocon, Christopher Dalton, aka EncodedFate, aka
        > Fate, actually IS a convicted sex offender and was putting himself in
        > VERY close contact with children at this con. He was working as a
        > webmaster and second-level staffer for the con.
        >
        > Here's the information:
        > First Name: CHRISTOPHER
        > Middle Name: L
        > Last Name: DALTON
        >
        > Conviction
        > Conviction date not reported
        > SEXUAL ABUSE OF A CHILD
        > Offender's age at conviction not reported
        > Source of Information: VA State Offender Registry
        >
        > http://vspimages.vsp.virginia.gov/images/014557-02.jpg
        > <http://vspimages.vsp.virginia.gov/images/014557-02.jpg>
        >
        > Where I'm going with this, is there any way we can ban this guy from our
        > con? Even though we don't have that many kids at our con, because of
        > his ties to the guys in the anime room (if we're even having that next
        > year after what happened this year), I don't think he should be
        > permitted on premises where we could even have a problem with him.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rich

      • Chris Underwood

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008
            I don't know why it says VA State Offender Registry. His crime comes
            out of Utah. Which after spending six months in Utah last year and
            earlier this year, covering that big mine collapse from last year, and
            sitting through the better part of the Warren Jeffs trial, surprises
            the heck out of me that there's even a sex offender law out there... -_-;

            Anyway, here's the links for you, Ed.

            http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us/OffenderDetail.aspx?text=dadbbfah&dt=EFCLCFDDL4EDNDMNFL4da

            www.familywatchdog.us and search in PA, Christopher and Dalton, will
            produce the results I came up with.

            Hope that helps.

            --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Beard Jr." <artofedbeard@...>
            wrote:

            > This is a serious accusation and even more concerning is the potential
            > leagal and harmful exposure that minors attending Pitt con and the
            > anime room might be subject to.
            >
            > We went to the "VA State Offender Registry" and typed in his name
            > under name search for ALL offenders, as you list it here.
            >
            > Here is what we came up with:
            >
            > "This search allows you to find offenders by name. Enter the name of
            > an offender or his alias and click on the Search button on the bottom
            > of the screen. You may also use wild cards if you know the partial
            > name of an offender.
            >
            > No offenders found. The search criteria did not match any offender in
            > our database. Please try different search criteria."
            >
            > We tried multiple times under a number of combination and still the VA
            > State Registry of sex offenders came up with no compatible match to
            > Christopher Dalton.
            >
            > Can you be more specific to how and where we can verify this info.
            > Your link simply shows a Photo with NO name identification and could
            > be anyone.
            >
            > We need to have undisputable and trackable facts to present to Renee
            > George in order to make sure this type of offender is not allowed to
            > attend the show in that capacity.
            >
            > Thank You

          • axxinjaxxin
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 2008
              The guys running the anime room no-showed. I remember having several
              conversations with Renee, both at the con and at Comics World about
              the group (I think they're called BZAnime or DVAnime), but I don't
              have any contact information for Dave Shields or any of the guys in
              the group that ran the room about that.

              --- In pittscomicon@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Underwood"
              <chrisunderwood151@...> wrote:

              > what happened this year?

            • kyoteklaw
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 18, 2008
                Attn: Rich

                As a staff member with Tekkoshocon, I can certainly tell you that
                Christopher Dalton is not a staff member, nor has he been one since
                2006. He was released from the Tekko staff when we were presented with
                his criminal record. He was neither a second-level staffer nor a web
                master.
                We would appreciate it if this issue would remain separate from
                Tekkoshocon Inc. concerning his former volunteer status.

                Ellen Siergiej
                Artist Alley Lieutenant
              • axxinjaxxin
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 20, 2008
                  Just to make it look like I didn't just abandon my earlier message, I
                  have taken this issue with Ellen to private message as to not clog the
                  board up.

                  However, keep in mind, this just another of a long list of
                  "suspicious" activity by Tekkoshocon. Let us not forget what happened
                  at last year's con with the artist's alley that was by every
                  definition, ILLEGAL. For the uneducated, several members of the
                  security staff barricaded the artists in the artists alley in a room
                  and yelled and screamed at them for 20 or so minutes. Meanwhile, the
                  former con chair of Tekkoshocon was attempting to gain entry to the
                  room from the outside and knew this was going on. This act led to a
                  member of Tekkoshocon's senior staff's resignation from the Board of
                  Directors, as he was the person "screaming" at the artists. From my
                  nine years in the legal field, if even one person would have called
                  the police from inside that room, my sense is there would have been
                  arrests made for false imprisonment, possibly kidnapping (much in the
                  same manner that OJ was arrested for kidnapping), and the con more
                  than likely would have been shut down at that point.

                  Also, I have it from good authority from some people at the Expomart
                  that Tekkoshocon was asked to not return to the Expomart over a year
                  ahead of the planned renovations because the hotel was tired of
                  playing babysitter to all the under 18's running around the hotel and
                  Expomart unsupervised. And from my experience with the Westin,
                  because I stay there for business when I'm in Pittsburgh, they are not
                  going to tolerate unsupervised children and the noise and ruckus for a
                  second.

                  With that, I'm done ranting, and this topic, at least as far as I'm
                  concerned, is closed.